People like this **** me off

Have you seen these sights that let you get a free web address etc. Someone should just copy his entire site, change the title and upload it just to annoy him.

Grr... Speaking to an owner of a small news website right now who seems to believe that every image is free if you can right click on it. Some selected quotes below. What does everyone think?

"It's a free country, what's stopping me using widely used images?"

"Get a grip, they're not going to prosecute a small website using images that are free to copy and paste - there's no right click disable on their website so what's stopping me? Some ****** copyright law"

"When I take photo's, I don't care who uses it"

"Say I take photo's for the Times, then the times pay me for it and people take it off the times website. Am I losing out?"

"Then there's the Associated Press All images from them are FREE"

Argh.
Ask him to take a read of this!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/news/2010/04/100413_yoghurt_et_sl.shtml

I would bring this up with someone like BAPLA.

Depends if you're using them for comercial use or not. If you do infact make some money off your website (I haven't delved into it to try see), then you have to pay for any images unless people allow free for all use.

There's a great big Domino's Pizza Ad on the front page. That means it's a commercial site.

Subscribe to the Picture Agencies if you want imagery - Reuters, Getty, PA et al - that's what they're there for.

Can't afford it?
Tough - see you in court if any of mine appear there.

That's fine Yoby. Bear in mind I'm young, and on £40 a month. What should I use for my images of mainly politicians?

Draw some cartoons of them, or ask their office if they have stock photos you can use.

Sadly being young or having limited budget does not get around the law.

£ 40 a month will not buy much in the way of legal advice if someone does decide to sue you.

That's fine Yoby. Bear in mind I'm young, and on £40 a month. What should I use for my images of mainly politicians?

Perhaps you ought to use something like iStockphotos for stock images that tell the story or Photoshelter for more "hard news" style images.

If you want image content without hefty legal bills you need to pay...either a little (istock) or a lot (photoshelter). The one thing you cannot do is steal. You do that, and you WILL be found out.

Say you rip a picture from The Times...that's a News International publication, owned by Rupert Murdoch...do you think they won't have picscout or something similar to find unauthorised use? Do you think they'll ignore you when they find you? No, they'll rinse you for all you've got...and they should.

Do it right...do it legit...pay for it. Or it'll bite you on the a*se...and there'll be plenty of people (here and elsewhere) who'd make sure of it.

...The one thing you cannot do is steal. You do that, and you WILL be found out....

He already has been - that why this thread is being discussed - and if we found it, betcha ass someone with no qualms about crushing him will have too...

Have you seen these sights that let you get a free web address etc. Someone should just copy his entire site, change the title and upload it just to annoy him.

Good idea, I was tempted to do that as I have my own webspace, but then thought I would also be stealing the images! :rules:

He already has been - that why this thread is being discussed - and if we found it, betcha ass someone with no qualms about crushing him will have too...

As someone mentioned, the small claims court fee is only £30 and you can file online.

To clarify, if any photographer contacted the site requesting their image be removed then I would happily comply.

Is this not like taking back the stolen goods if you get caught?

It's people like this that make me want to not publish photos online.

As someone mentioned, the small claims court fee is only £30 and you can file online.

Go ahead - get pro photographers less support by trying to sue the young lad who made the article using the photo you question Scott. That's fine by me.

The fact everyone here is telling you that you will land face down in the dirt if you don't comply to the laws tells me a lot about you as a person.

You WILL get prosecuted, you WILL get fined, you WILL lose your website, you WILL have a criminal record.

If those risks are outweighed by the benefits of your website/blog then continue by all means... it will not affect me in anyway shape or form.

Get a proper job then.

Realspeed

Not that I am sticking up for him but isnt he in high school and the same age as Scott? 15? Anyway hopefully this has educated him a bit, have to have tough skin if this is the business he wants to go into!

I was out earning at 15 as an apprentice electrician with a 48 hour week minimum and often doing a 60 hour week due to the work requirements. That was the norm back in those days, I did night school twice a week with day release once a week, as well often leaving home at 6am and getting home from night school well after 10 pm and only 16 years old. So I still say GET A PROPER JOB
Realspeed

The fact everyone here is telling you that you will land face down in the dirt if you don't comply to the laws tells me a lot about you as a person.

You WILL get prosecuted, you WILL get fined, you WILL lose your website, you WILL have a criminal record.

If those risks are outweighed by the benefits of your website/blog then continue by all means... it will not affect me in anyway shape or form.

Please read the thread, I won't because it's not my article. ;)

I was out earning at 15 as an apprentice electrician with a 48 hour week minimum and often doing a 60 hour week due to the work requirements. That was the norm back in those days, I did night school twice a week with day release once a week, as well often leaving home at 6am and getting home from night school well after 10 pm and only 16 years old. So I still say GET A PROPER JOB
Realspeed

:thinking: Ok great. 40 quid is alright for someone in high school (if said poster is) but I am not going to argue about it. Just pointing out that this person may still be on a very young learning curve.

If I take photo's from the Beeb then is it stealing, given the public pay their photographers wages?

If I take photo's from the Beeb then is it stealing, given the public pay their photographers wages?

Yes it is stealing. You couldn't steal photos from the Guardian just because you buy their paper (or just walk out of Tescos with it under your coat)

That's like saying you shouldn't pay a TV license because "HEY! I PAY THEIR WAGES". While we're at it let's scrap the dole, sack all the police, and hey, burn the hospitals!

Dude, stop being a plank. If I took your articles and used them on my site without telling you, you're telling me that's perfectly fine?

Chris said:
All I have to say is this...

"Copyright © 2010 Fresh Politics. All Rights Reserved.
Magazine Basic theme designed by Themes by bavotasan.com.