People

Edit My Images
No
One thing that I really love to get pics of are people. But all my friends are like me picture shy so it's hard to sneak pictures of them when they aren't looking or get a good one of them looking at me lol.

But all my friends are like me picture shy

A situation we all know and it has to do with the fear
of looking ridicule… kids are somewhat better models

because they did not yet built an image of themselves.

This shyness, among other reasons, comes from times
where pictures were granted but the outcome was less
flattering and the model had to live knowing that a bad
pictures existed and, at times — when brought out— it
was the same scenario of everyone laughing and making
bad jokes. Nobody wants to go through that when one
should built an ego.

Try shooting stolen shots of your friends, show them your
takes. If them like them, they will mind less.

One thing that I really love to get pics of are people. But all my friends are like me picture shy so it's hard to sneak pictures of them when they aren't looking or get a good one of them looking at me lol.

In that case @IzzyRide I would suggest some street photography.
Not just random shots of people on the streets but go and engage with people.
You'd be surprised at how friendly and helpful people are. Beyond that, use a model, plenty around. Purple port for one. Be honest about your skill level and you could possibly get an aspiring model who would be willing to work with you.
Facebook is another place, ask your wider friends list if they'd be willing to pose for, they'd get a new profile picture, you'd get the practice.

Good luck

Firstly; welcome to TP.
I have to agree people photography is the thing that interests me more than any other type of photography. There's things you can do to get over your issues, but it'll be down to your personality.

ALL photography should contain an element of the photographers personality, and IMHO non more so than portraiture. It's all about your relationship with the subject.

So, firstly I'm afraid, you have to put on your big girl pants, you need to have the confidence to manage a photo shoot, and that includes getting people to co operate.

The good news is, there are techniques and tips to help.

People want their pictures to flatter them, so you need to learn a bit about portraiture to make that work, posing, lighting and the right focal length lens will help this, have a look at the training on 'creative live', there's some good stuff on Lencartas site too, and if you can find anything by Peter Hurley.

Once you can give people tips in front of a camera, they'll love you, none of us is happy that we're uncomfortable in front of a camera, we all would like to have a 'normal' attitude to having our pictures taken. Your job is to make people comfortable and to use techniques to get the best out of them as subjects.

Of course the easy way out is to go out and shoot street photography, but even that takes some confidence, it's not something I know a lot about.

I really struggle - particularly with travel photography at taking the kind of candid street shots that I want to. I can see the framing, the light, know what I want to shoot but it just feels rude to do it. Especially abroad where culture is different and I might not get it. Then I find if I do get the courage to ask permission, the scene changes because people pose. How do others get around this?

I really struggle - particularly with travel photography at taking the kind of candid street shots that I want to. I can see the framing, the light, know what I want to shoot but it just feels rude to do it. Especially abroad where culture is different and I might not get it. Then I find if I do get the courage to ask permission, the scene changes because people pose. How do others get around this?

It's a while since I've done any candid street stuff.. must do more. For me the key things are to work quickly and confidently. Don't dither once you've decided on your shot. Avoid making eye contact once you've got your shot but don't rush to get away either. Behave as if you have a right to do what you're doing.

Asking permission is different - I find I often end up rushing once I've engaged with a stranger when in fact I could take more time.

I also enjoy taking photos of people, but I think like you, it's the initial bit that's the problem, so you don't even get to take a photo of them.
You have to get over that hurdle and one way is to ask strangers on the street. If you can ask a stranger if you can take their photo, then you can easily ask a friend.
There is a Flickr group dedicated to taking portraits of strangers, called the '100 Strangers' project. The idea is you learn how to interact with people and take portraits by doing it. It will help with shyness and build confidence.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/100strangers/

Once you have a little practice under your belt, taking photos of people will get easier.

ALL photography should contain an element of the photographers personality, and IMHO non more so than portraiture. It's all about your relationship with the subject.

And that's one reason why clusterphuq shoots (i.e. those set up for several snappers to all photograph one model at the same time) will always be a complete waste of time.

Dear Izzy, like you, I'm camera shy. And like you, I have a problem approaching strangers. I did an experiment with myself one time in London using a camera phone, whereby if I saw a photographically interesting person, I'd act immediately. If I didn't act immediately and thought about it a bit, I'd more often than not bottle out of walking up and talking to them. It worked! Only one person refused me. And they all turned out to be interesting and nice people to talk to. (Despite some appearances) My plan was that I'd concisley explain what I was doing and if they were uncomfortable, I'd say fine and walk away with a smile. I don't agree with aggressive in yer face street fauxtogs. And candid shots are somehow sneaky as well as time consuming and unpredictable. Give this technique a try, you might be surprised.
Here is a shot I recently took of a grumpy friend. I just asked him to show me how he was feeling...

Snarl2.jpg

Dear Izzy, like you, I'm camera shy. And like you, I have a problem approaching strangers. I did an experiment with myself one time in London using a camera phone, whereby if I saw a photographically interesting person, I'd act immediately. If I didn't act immediately and thought about it a bit, I'd more often than not bottle out of walking up and talking to them. It worked! Only one person refused me. And they all turned out to be interesting and nice people to talk to. (Despite some appearances) My plan was that I'd concisley explain what I was doing and if they were uncomfortable, I'd say fine and walk away with a smile. I don't agree with aggressive in yer face street fauxtogs. And candid shots are somehow sneaky as well as time consuming and unpredictable. Give this technique a try, you might be surprised.
Here is a shot I recently took of a grumpy friend. I just asked him to show me how he was feeling...

View attachment 71906

"Cracking" shot Sir, love the mono PP work, and the overall impact.(y)

George.

Back