Perseids - heads up

Tringa

Numpty of the Day'
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
The peak of the Perseid meteor is due next Wednesday 12th night/ Thursday 13th morning. The moon is close to new then so that will help; just hope for clear skies.

Dave

will be hope to see them then fingers crossed

rain and thunder/lightning storms due Gloucestershire from 1am onwards :(

If you get an app (I use Star Tracker on android) then turn on your gps and point it at the sky it will tell you what stars you are looking at. You want to be looking North East though.

I am pointing the camera in that general direction, iso of 800 and an exposure of 30 seconds on my 18-55mm kit lens at 18mm. My Canon 750d has a continuous shot option so one press of a button and it will shoot 10 shots like this back to back. Hopefull will get something.....But I am no expert and happy to take any tips too!

Thats south and Perseids are north, so wont see it. Have seen a meteor already, but camera missed it.

just watched ISS pass though clouds are now coming over so not much chance of seeing any persied showers unless they clear within next hour.

About 12 in an hour here in Devon too. Seemed there must have been more judging by the flashes up in the clouds which were closing in gradually.
Not sure any went through the cameras field of view, but was well worth going out for the spectacle.

I may need a 14mm... :whistle:

The location was a bit poor tbh and there were LOADS of people up there. 1am and there must have been 200 people milling about. Crazy.

As for PP, erm, i just played with the sliders in Lr until i was happy with the resulting image. Well, happy ish.

I had a play in the back garden last night with the new samyang. Forgot how hard it is and how much light pollution there is here! Nothing worth keeping but useful practice. Amazon delivered a day early or else I could have planned it a bit better by finding some darkened field!!

Went out for an hour or so. Couldn't stay out much beyond midnight due to having to get up early for work. Saw about a dozen. Roughly half and half between tiny little ones, and good long, bright streaks. Most were outside my camera's field of view, but one I felt sure was on the money.
Got home, reviewed all my shots...nothing. :(

Well, loads of planes and one nice iridium flare but the Perseid I was sure I'd captured wasn't.

Nothing spectacular here, just a couple of small ones during a bit of clear sky, while the rain was falling from the clouds overhead.

Perseids in a Shower by Steve Bennett, on Flickr

And for those who may not be sure if they caught an aircraft or meteor, here are both in the same bit of sky. The dots from the navigation lights on the aircraft are the giveaway when you zoom in ;)

Near Miss by Steve Bennett, on Flickr

Some GREAT meteors to be seen last night, shame I felt the need to do some painting with my phone and missed the start of this one haha

CMSXCn-WgAElfYC.jpg

But I did get some great shots, and some more light paintings.. Amazing how a spec of dust can look at 132,000MPH!

Never meant to make a trail but here's the stack of all my shots from my Perseid hunt on Wednesday night. Lots of planes, an iridium flare and one very tiny meteor in the middle.

Here's the iridium flare and the plough.

And a heavy crop of the only very small meteor I caught on camera.

LOL, have just been doing exactly the same, putting last nights shots into starstax. You got a much clearer result, it was a bit too cloudy here.

Also tried this, conditions perfect really but no foreground interest to be found. Not a bad background though!

Also tried this, conditions perfect really but no foreground interest to be found. Not a bad background though!

Who needs a foreground when you have the milky way as a background:)
Nice colour in the meteor trail aswell.

We were quite lucky up here in scotland where I am, was lovely clear skies when I was out between 11pm and 1.30am at least.
A lot harder than I expected, need to find some more interesting foregrounds and less light pollution. Being what I would class as semi rural I expected a lot less light pollution.

Back