Perseids Meteor Shower tonight......12th Aug

Is there a Scott Thomas on here? BBC just used their time lapse :)

will have a bash tonight- can I ask why so many f2.8's and f4's etc as I would have thought f8-f16 for distance or am I thinking incorrectly for 'space'?

You're focusing at infinity anyway so no need for a small aperture for DOF. You just want to capture as much light from those stars as possible.

Clear skies yesterday and today here in the Finnish archipelago but I've just been enjoying the show and not taken any photos.. Wife appreciates it certainly :D

Might get the camera out tomorrow..

Worse than last night where we are - even a cursory glance out of the window and I see an orange sky, so no hope really - and can't drive off anywhere as have had a welcome couple of vodkas! :crying::D

Just been out the back of the house into the field and it's crystal clear with a zillion stars.

Might set the camera up but I've no idea where I should be looking or what speed these things are likely to cross the sky ?

Should I just focus to infinity at the North Star - fairly wide or what ?

Is it case of a longish exposure and hope something comes into frame ?

Just been out the back of the house into the field and it's crystal clear with a zillion stars.

Might set the camera up but I've no idea where I should be looking or what speed these things are likely to cross the sky ?

You need to look about 45 degrees above the horizon to the east/north east.

You need to look about 45 degrees above the horizon to the east/north east.

That's good then as I have an interupted view looking North East.

Wispy clouds have come in since I was outside but have got the gear set up in case it clears again.

Did somebody say infinity/f4/20sec as a starting point ?

Still wispy clouds.

Kicking myself now as it was so clear from 10:45 - 11:45

If anyone wants a great shot of an orange sky head to my neck of the woods - last night was a failure and tonight rivals it.

Lovely sodium glow with no chance of seeing anything beyond that extensive noise pollution.

(Location - Notts)

Just had a fantastic show under clear sky.

Once I got my camera settings sorted I think I 'caught' one before the battery died.

I'm on charge now as I'm due doing birds of prey (just with my daughter) first thing in the morning - oops

Last edited:
If it hadn't been ponessing down last night, I might have gone to the top of the hill for a while to watch for them.

i was going to try last night we had clear skys but after midnight a heavy dew started laying so i didn't want to chance the cameras getting damaged

Back