Pertinent to recent comments on quality

Name
Alistair
Edit My Images
No
Alot of current b&w fashion images are muddy and low contrast and I actually really like that style. I tend to think of "b&w" as black, white, and everything in between.

I intend to shoot some fashion portraits in this style with my newly acquired RZ, it's sort of why I bought it.

***Pertinent to recent comments on quality**

Muddy flat shots remind me of poor processing or exposure faults, but I suppose if some one like AlanSmithee posted one you would know it was deliberate to suit the subject.

the main reason i shoot film is for the grotty dirty look it can get, other people disagree but thats just what i like doing :)

****the main reason i shoot film is for the grotty dirty look it can get****

LOL.......but all different uses of film helps sales and the manufacturers will keep making it.

excalibur2 said:
LOL.......but all different uses of film helps sales and the manufacturers will keep making it.

That's why I never criticise the "lomo" crowd. Sure they might take terrible photos but at least they are keeping film sales up.

Well - I've just got around to reading the thread linked to in the OP, and a couple of comments stood out to me...

"Quality doesn't mean deep blacks and whatever tonal range. That's not quality, that's a kind of quality. The pictures of Robert Frank might strike someone as being sloppy - the tone range isn't right and things like that - but they're far superior to the pictures of Ansel Adams with regard to quality, because the quality of Ansel Adams, if I may say so, is essentially the quality of a postcard. But the quality of Robert Frank is a quality that has something to do with what he's doing, what his mind is. It's not balancing out the sky to the sand and so forth. It's got to do with intention." (Elliott Erwitt)

Makes a lot of sense to me, but then I suppose it depends on where you are coming from photographically. I can appreciate an Ansel Adams but in the end it's just a pretty picture - there's no narrative. Give me a good street or documentary picture any day
and

Simon, you will be get a lot of applause about this quote here in a RF forum. But quote this in a large format forum and you will be crucified...
Which pretty much sums up the different approaches of Landscape and Street/Reportage photography.

Now, I'm the first to admit I'm a dyed in the wool Landscape shooter. The only time I'll include people in the shot (given a choice) is if I'm desperate for a little foreground interest, and there is absolutely nothing there. Then I'll co-opt a friend to go and sit in a particular place for me, or go for a self timer shot and get into frame myself (usually with my back to the camera, looking out into the view "a-la Wainwright's sketch images :) )

The top and bottom of it is I don't enjoy shooting people. There - I've said it, I just don't enjoy it. If I take a photograph of someone that I know, then I feel that the photograph isn't for me, it's for them. I therefore feel compelled and pressured into trying to make them look good - or at least better than they normally look. And I just don't understand WHY i'd want a picture of someone I didn't know. So - I avoid it wherever possible.

So - street shooting is a closed book to me. I've opened it, read a couple of chapters, and didn't get hooked, so took it to the jumble sale, and don't intend buying another copy - even if I'm stuck on Hull Railway station for 7 hours until my next train with nothing else to read.

I think that in the thread where this sprang from some of my comments on quality may have been interpreted a little over literally, but as it was the "show us..." thread I didn't really want to hijack things any further. Maybe I could explain a little better here?

I most definitely wasn't having a outright attack upon street shooting when I said " Just because it's shot on film, it doesn't instantly transform it into art (even if you ARE an art student!) Taking a grainy black and white shot doesn't make you Robert Capa or Henri Cartier-Bresson. " I'm fairly sure that HCB spent ages lurking "Behind the Gare St. Lazare" waiting for someone to jump over that puddle, and to capture the "Decisive Moment" - I'm equally sure that the shot of the bike passing the spiraling staircase was, if not exactly set up, then pre-visualised by HCB, and I'm fairly sure he lay in wait for a cyclist to pass bye. Both of these examples show that a good way to get high quality output is to put a bit of thought into things. I enjoy good quality street stuff, but bad stuff leaves me cold.

I also commented that some shots were lacking a little in contrast and could be improved by a gentle coat of photoshop. While I happily stand on that, It doesn't mean that I personally demand that every shot has the full gamut of black to white. Most photographic subjects DO have a range that covers a large chunk of that gamut however, and it seems a shame not to take advantage of that.

When we get a newcomer to F&C, who asks for assistance, one of the first things that comes up is "what B&W film can I get" - these people are usually, quite rightly, steered in the direction of the C41 B&W films for their first forays, as it's easier to get them processed in minilabs on the highstreet. Sadly, as many of us know, the output of minilabs is something of a variable feast, especially with the B&W films. I've had maybe half a dozen rolls processed by various labs, and to be honest, not one of them was scanned anywhere near as well as I managed on a modest flatbed scanner with the default settings. Guess what the main problem was? ... lack of contrast :shrug: So - maybe we should be saying, get the C41 film, have it scanned by the minilab, but have a look at the output file, see if it needs a tweak in photoshop for contrast?

Mark, its not only you that doesn't get 'street' photography. When its good its very good but 99.999% of the stuff we see on here is snaps of people walking past. Its nothing but voyeuristic, whether shot on film or digital!

As for lacking in contrast, I think today we are not used to working with filters as when shooting digital we have photoshop and can bump up the contrast. I am certainly guilty of not knowing about or owning the right kind of filters for shooting B&W properly myself but then I think I am slowing falling out of love with film. And that makes me sad.

FWIW, I can't remember the last time I shot B&W without a filter on the lens of some sort, usually a yellow, which only really comes off to fit a orange, red or polariser.

The main thing I'm getting at though, isn't really about the hardware we use, or the PP we give to the shot, it's about thinking about the shot from "soup to nuts"... From the choice of media (either Digital or film (and the choice of the right film for the purpose that this entails)), to the location, time and weather conditions, through to composition and framing, and eventually the choice of the "decisive moment". Then going into the post production side of things, all with the single intent of getting the best frame of film we've ever shot. If we're not trying to do the best yet, then why are we bothering using up valuable resources?

Last edited:
FWIW, I can't remember the last time I shot B&W without a filter on the lens of some sort, usually a yellow, which only really comes off to fit a orange, red or polariser.

Once I have shifted my oly 0m-2sp and eos 650 I think I will get the right colour filters for m7y contax. The lenses all use the same thread size so its just a matter of sourcing 46mm filters really. In fact I have a yellow i need to check the size on!

Guess what the main problem was? ... lack of contrast :shrug: So - maybe we should be saying, get the C41 film, have it scanned by the minilab, but have a look at the output file, see if it needs a tweak in photoshop for contrast?

I can't say as I've ever had aproblem with lack of contrast on XP2 except when it's been over exposed a little, for example:

Having just come out of the roofless portion in the bottom foreground, I framed thsi shot and pressed the shutter, forgot I'd metered for the dark boiler house:

036_36s43.jpg

Then I metered off the bright stone on the left of the engine house, around 2 stops faster shutter speed selected:

037_37s43.jpg

Zone metering with the OM2SP spot meter is certainly a godsend for film shooting, It's ashame I can't get the lenses I want to fit it! :bonk:

Alan - that's an interesting observation - I have to say, I do have a tendency to err on the side of over-exposure with C41 colour stock to gain a little punch, maybe I'd sub-consciously carried that through with XP2... I'll bear it in mind if I ever need to shoot the last 3-4 rolls of XP2 and get them processed at a minilab.

That's why I never criticise the "lomo" crowd. Sure they might take terrible photos but at least they are keeping film sales up.

Never have shot lomo, never will shoot lomo... maybe i phrased it badly originally, i like the unpredictability and the fact that i can change the photo completely by using a different film...

at least look at my shots before writing me off as one of the "lomo crowd" :)

I asked the girl at Asda "how is film dev going" and she said "not too bad and we do a lot of disposable cameras work".
Mind you Asda has left me with a problem? Is it their dev or a fault in the Petri camera I was testing, I put new seals in the camera and it's a Meyer 50mm lens...and it's not on every shot of the roll:-

Meyer50mm22800px.jpg

Meyer50mm21800px.jpg

Brian, the sun is to the right side/quarter on both shots did you use a hood? Just check the lens using the torch routine and make certain there is no haze it it...

If all the above is fine then I would have to say it's more than likely a development issue.

Brian, the sun is to the right side/quarter on both shots did you use a hood? Just check the lens using the torch routine and make certain there is no haze it it...

If all the above is fine then I would have to say it's more than likely a development issue.

It's a puzzle as I had another film done at Asda at the same time with no probs. I trust the lens as it had a hood and I've used it before, also for one shot I used a Petri lens and the smudge was there...also strange is why it's only on frames 5,6,9,10,13,14,15,21,22,23, but 24 was perfect.
Oh well before I can trust this Petri camera (to be light tight) I'll have to try another film and if ok the finger switches to Asda...thanks for replying.

I asked the girl at Asda "how is film dev going" and she said "not too bad and we do a lot of disposable cameras work".
Mind you Asda has left me with a problem? Is it their dev or a fault in the Petri camera I was testing, I put new seals in the camera and it's a Meyer 50mm lens...and it's not on every shot of the roll:-

Meyer50mm22800px.jpg

Meyer50mm21800px.jpg

Might be contamination on the rollers, if it's not on every frame.
Shoot another test roll and send to a different processors, at least this will eliminate processing faults.

***Shoot another test roll and send to a different processors***

..........that's probably the best way, but I'll do what I normally do to give all my cameras a workout, about 10 shots in the Petri and transfer the film to another camera...that should show any problems.

robhooley167 said:
Never have shot lomo, never will shoot lomo... maybe i phrased it badly originally, i like the unpredictability and the fact that i can change the photo completely by using a different film...

at least look at my shots before writing me off as one of the "lomo crowd" :)

I'm sure you don't put your films in the dishwasher!

Back