Pet insurance

Name
derek
Edit My Images
Yes
Got a renewal quote this morning for dog insurance, its almost doubled in price from last year have never made a claim either,so it looks like cancelling and back on comparison websites.
Your price.
Your policy will renew on 10.11.2020.

Your premium last year was £220.53, and your total for this year will be £396.96.

How old is your dog ?
Prices increase dramatically with age, some companies won't insure older dogs

When we had pet insurance this was normal, I just did the comparison sites and often went back the original company asking them to renew at the site price, they always did. Like all insurance companies they’re out to make money in any way they can.

Got a renewal quote this morning for dog insurance, its almost doubled in price from last year have never made a claim either,so it looks like cancelling and back on comparison websites.
Your price.
Your policy will renew on 10.11.2020.

Your premium last year was £220.53, and your total for this year will be £396.96.

I pay nearly twice that amount (Pet Plan).
With previous dogs I have had vet bills of £3k & £4k (surgery in Glasgow University Small Animals Hospital).
I am very wary of changing insurer. If you change and your dog turns out to have a pre-existing, but undiagnosed, condition the insurer will not pay out.
Some insurers are pay out dodgers (your vet will know the ones that are trouble free in that respect).

Last edited:
The other tactic ours have quietly implemented is too increase the excess from £75 to “10% of claim or minimum of £75”.

Our last quote for our 12 year old eurasier was over £1500!
safe to say we didn’t bother. If anything happens to him, we will just pay it.

We’ve never claimed once on his insurance even though we’ve had a few big vet bills, after you’ve paid the excess and calculated the increase in premium, it just wasn’t worth it.

We shall keep insurance on our 2 year old springer for a bit, but then just pay the premium money into a savings account Instead.

This quote was by Bought by many who i have been with for a couple of years, the saving account is an idea to consider thanks.

We've had 5 cats over the last 28 years and have never had pet insurance. The only time we would've had to make a claim was last year when the youngest had an argument with a car and that cost us £850. If we'd had insurance, we'd have paid out roughly £10k!

I do think that, unless you're very unlucky, you're better of putting money into a separate savings account when it comes to pet insurance.

Sadly agree with this Marc - however I have 2 dogs that are 13 & 12. My insurance is well over £1200 a year.
As I travel to France each year with them I don't really need to deal with angry french people.

I have to disagree with @Marc . Pet insurance, like any other insurance is very cheap if you need it & a waste of money when you don’t. Everybody who suggests saving premiums either never manages it or has never had a really big vets Bill. One of my dogs has never cost me more than checkups- the other £12k in the first year - that’s more then a lifetimes premiums. Paid very fast too

I have to disagree with @Marc . Pet insurance, like any other insurance is very cheap if you need it & a waste of money when you don’t. Everybody who suggests saving premiums either never manages it or has never had a really big vets Bill. One of my dogs has never cost me more than checkups- the other £12k in the first year - that’s more then a lifetimes premiums. Paid very fast too

There will always be exceptions Hugh. My opinion was based on personal experience. I know that other peoples' experiences will be different and I also appreciate the experiences will differ wildly between dog and cat owners.

Back