Peter Lik gallery in Las Vegas

Is this how the world's most expensive photograph was taken? :eek: Peter Lik's Phantom was allegedly sold for $6.5m...

It's a beautiful place but I don't think I'd want to be trying to take photographs with all those people and time pressures. But, maybe because of all if the people and time pressures looking at pictures may be a way of enhancing the experience so if they had a good and not too expensive book for sale at the tourist centre I'd buy it instead of trying to take pictures myself.

Perhaps he paid them enough for private access?

And to throw dust until he'd got some vaguely ghostly shapes that could be 'enhanced' in Photoshop?

People often ask why bother taking a photo that's effectively identical to hundreds or thousands of others. Many of the world's most famous locations are a permanent forest of tripods pointing at exactly the same thing, but I think that misses the point. The difference is, I didn't take those photos so mine would be original to me, and none of those others would include my friends and family either. Basically the same reason why selfies have become a global obsession.

nd to throw dust until he'd got some vaguely ghostly shapes that could be 'enhanced' in Photoshop?

Yes, possibly. I'm sure that could be arranged if you had the cash! But on the other hand, earlier in thread someone noted that one of his "masterpieces" was almost identical to one of Thomas Heaton's pictures. They had both evidently stood in the same crowd and, as you say, taken the same photograph. So he may well have done the same thing here. I'm not defending Lik at all, by the way.......

I was at a well-known photography honeypot location in Snowdonia many years ago when a car drew up (It's right by the main road) . Two guys got out, set up their medium format film cameras next to each other, waited about ten milliseconds and took exactly the photograph. I found it rather strange, to say the least, but they said they would be submitting them to different picture libraries. They then drove off.

That canyon video, and the previous link to Lik's volcano image, rather blow Lik's self-made myth that he's some kind of Crocodile Dundee type explorer, restlessly scouring the corners of the planet for hidden gems on which to unleash his genius. He's just a tourist, standing in line with the rest of us.

That canyon video, and the previous link to Lik's volcano image, rather blow Lik's self-made myth that he's some kind of Crocodile Dundee type explorer, restlessly scouring the corners of the planet for hidden gems on which to unleash his genius. He's just a tourist, standing in line with the rest of us.

Probably the truth is somewhere between, because when many of us travel we try to chose places that look interesting and a little unusual. The downside is that there is almost no-where inaccessible now, so you just have to hope not too many have been before you.

Back