Petition to halt Badger culling.

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
For anyone wishing to have a 'voice' in attempting to stop the culling of Badgers, or to find out a little more about the petition before Parliament, here is a link:-

To the best of my knowledge there are no attempts to harvest information/data from you, merely using your email address to confirm your vote on the petition before Parliament.

Why are they shooting them, is this still because it's thought they carry TB?

Why are they shooting them, is this still because it's thought they carry TB?
Yes, there is a refusal to use vacination as an option.
As an aside:-
In 2015, the British Veterinary Association withdrew its support of controlled shooting as a culling method stating that "we can no longer support the use of controlled shooting as the pilot culls have failed to demonstrate that this method can be used effectively and humanely".

Just signed it,Roger. Got an Email to confirm it's me by opening the link and also ticked for updates. (y)

If Ireland can do it so can we if the will is there but the like the NRA in the US the farming lobby here is very powerful . In this Guardian article (below link) it states that the methods of farming are to blame and I've heard that recently in a radio programme.

In Northern Ireland they are trapped, tested and if free of TB, freed.

Good news but the government needs to be watched. I don't like the phrase. 'Phased out over the next few years'

A paragraph from the article.

An independent review in 2018 of the government’s policies for eradicating bovine TB (bTB) by 2038 found that frequent trading of cattle and poor biosecurity on farms was severely hampering efforts to tackle the crisis. The scientists said it was highly desirable to move from culling to vaccination of badgers.

The petition link is the official Parliamentary Petition site.

Signed

Been meaning to sign for some time but never got around to it. Just signing now.

I've signed :)!

Done

Not about badgers but still about cruelty. Having said that badger fur is used in fashion/clothing products but the EU have it on their 'banned list' for import.

I've read that as soon as the UK leaves the EU importing fur products will be banned. We haven't been able to do it whilst in the EU. I know where the pressure came from initially. Carrie Symonds..Boris's fiancée. They're on a winner, though because 85% of people here want it banned.

Right now the fur industry lobbyists are hard at it in the same way as the NFU are lobbying HMG to continue with badger culling. Here's an article in relation to it. I've just posted it here as it seems apt . Don't want to go off-topic with Roger's thread..so please just read and rejoice... :)

Last edited:
Back