Wild Pheasant today.

Name
Roy Newport
Edit My Images
No
image.jpeg Untouched out of camera,just cropped and framed.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK see it now, Colours are good but they both seem a little soft to me, a little tight in the frame too, give them some room :) Frost on the grass is a nice touch though

I assume, if these are SOOCs, that they are vivid JPGs.

Roy, It really depends how much you have cropped .. focus is soft on the eye/head, shot #2 and almost impossible to get a good DOF in #1, but focus is better on the eye and head .............whites are blown and colours oversaturated etc.

IMHO, pp has been overdone and because you have cropped tight it shows the "imperfections" in processing and focus

as Daniel said they look like vivid jpegs .. reds blues have gone OOT ..... the pheasants chest is brown .. have a look at pheasant images on Google

But always good to see these colourful birds

But the main thing is for you to say what you think of the shot and processing

Last edited:
Soft?not sure about that,I think they are sharpe.shot in Raw.

I'm into field sport and this has never happened to me before,this pheasant was within 6ft of me today,I change cameras,changed lenes,let down the window of my motor and still he stayed,in the end I got out and he still stayed only flying off when my dog jumped out.once in my life time for me.

I'm into field sport and this has never happened to me before,this pheasant was within 6ft of me today,I change cameras,changed lenes,let down the window of my motor and still he stayed,in the end I got out and he still stayed only flying off when my dog jumped out.once in my life time for me.

I can see why now - DOF is more sensitive the nearer you are - what lens and fvalue did you use? ........... too near!!!

I don't think we are saying that the shots are bad, just making critique comments

but they are stupid "birds"

That's more natural - give it more space to the right and maybe above

shadows on the head treatment ........ shadows generally need lifting or white point

You want to get down on a feed day at your local shoot. Even the over wintered birds are practically perched on my shoulders when they hear you coming to fill the feeders! Never actually thought about taking the camera down with me...

I was no where near feeders and the nearest shoot was over the hill and in the next valley,this is my hunting ground with my hawks and Falcons and never seen such a tame pheasant.

Back