Phonography Fun Weekend Challenge - 3 - Poll added!!

best phonography picture of the week

• Post 11 Yv

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Post 15 Stupar

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Post 22 N1kcy

• Post 24 simsling

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Post 26 Seashaker

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Post 28 richmond

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Post 30 Kev Sly

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Post 32 Splog

• Post 33 Smoothedit

• Post 34 Smokeyj

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Post 35 drodd

• Post 36 DemiLion

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Post 37 Stan the Man

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ok, Poll now added - Multiple choice as usual

Sorry I thought Yv usually did the poll bit, did'nt realise I could/should do it. If I have overstepped the mark by setting the poll Yv I am sorry - I just hope I did it correctly.

anyway you should hopefully now be able to get voting, the voting should finish on Thursday with any luck.

Simon

...its just some people feel a bit less than confident about doing it. (y)

That'll be me then (y) joined this forum to learn about photography with my new camera - ended up learning how to take and edit photographs using a phone and how to post threads then organise competitions and polls in a forum - it's a funny old world :LOL:

I should really get back to my "proper" camera but this has all been a lot of fun.

That'll be me then (y) joined this forum to learn about photography with my new camera - ended up learning how to take and edit photographs using a phone and how to post threads then organise competitions and polls in a forum - it's a funny old world :LOL:

I should really get back to my "proper" camera but this has all been a lot of fun.

(y) Just a suggestion .... it may be worth editing the title to say a poll has been added :thinking: to get people voting! :cool:

(y) Just a suggestion .... it may be worth editing the title to say a poll has been added :thinking: to get people voting! :cool:

Knew I would miss something :LOL: but looks like it's been done for me I assume by Yv - Thanks Yv(y)

Why does this thread not go to the homepage when a message is posted? :thinking:

Or am I being stupid? :bonk:

Last edited:
Why does this thread not go to the homepage when a message is posted? :thinking:

Or am I being stupid? :bonk:

I believe that the only posts now being shown on the home page are ones that show pictures in them for C&C to try and encourage more people to look at them and give critique. So competition forum does not qualify.

Last edited:
:ty:

It looks like this only appeals to a select few :thinking: which is a pity as this has been great fun the last couple of weeks.

But sadly, it doesn't seem to be taking off too well.

Perhaps it has to do with the fact that some peeps with 'older' phones feel inferior to those who have the more modern up-to-date gadgets (present company excluded ..... after all I am still trying to understand what an iPhone is, infact never even had one in my grubby paws, and all the other technical jargon associated with the upgrades).

Just one observation I would like to make here, is this a challenge of who can produce the best or 'cr@p' 'iPhone' pic or a challenge of who can take a photo with their phone, regardless of what generation it is????

If it is the former .... then I will have to exclude myself from future challenges as I don't have an iPhone.

Perhaps more clarification on the specifications would encourage more to participate, after all photography shouldn't just be about what equipment is used, be it film, dslr, compact, phone etc .... it is all still the same technique of art .... or am I missing something here???

Cheers

Dawn

Last edited:
It looks like this only appeals to a select few :thinking: which is a pity as this has been great fun the last couple of weeks.

Perhaps it has to do with the fact that some peeps with 'older' phones feel inferior to those who have the more modern up-to-date gadgets (present company excluded ..... after all I am still trying to understand what an iPhone is, infact never even had one in my grubby paws, and all the other technical jargon associated with the upgrades).

Just one observation I would like to make here, is this a challenge of who can produce the best or 'cr@p' 'iPhone' pic or a challenge of who can take a photo with their phone, regardless of what generation it is????

If it is the former .... then I will have to exclude myself from future challenges as I don't have an iPhone.

Perhaps more clarification on the specifications would encourage more to participate, after all photography shouldn't just be about what equipment is used, be it film, dslr, compact, phone etc .... it is all still the same technique of art .... or am I missing something here???

Cheers

Dawn

Hi Dawn :) ... My interpretation is: capture a photo with your phone :thinking: TBH I suspect this is more about how you interpret the theme than actual image quality! My phone is 8mp and fairly new but the quality of the shots are crap! .... My guess is it's make the best of what you have :cool:

Cheers

Dawn

To be honest, I've been watching these threads, and enjoying the shots - and for a new challenge, I thought it was doing quite well in terms of numbers of entries. This weeks got 13 entries - bearing in mind the long-running POTY competition which was open for an entire month only got 58 and was open all month, I don't think 13 is a bad beginning tbh!

I'd have participated myself, if i'd have had a phone that actually had a camera in it - i've an old Nokia 8210 that is tiny, and just works. No frills, no fuss - just a phone, and whilst I can get replacement batteries for it, i'm keeping it :shrug:

Last edited:
From the original challenge op by Yv:
Calling all users of phones with cameras!

This is just for fun and bragging rights, but I thought as we all know that regardless of what kit you use, the aim is the end result, then I would set up a fun challenge for you all that you can do as part of your normal weekend activities. The weather is predicted to be nice, if somewhat cold, so I guess a lot of people will be trying to get out and about, but I have chosen a theme equally doable at home.

The challenge to is take the best pic you can using your mobile phone only! Preferably, with no editing other than whatever your phone will allow you to do [which can be quite a lot with modern phones]

If you want to tweet about it on twitter, please use the hashtags #phonography #funweekendchallenge

Remember, its just for fun, no prizes and only rule is that you must use your mobile phone only. [Apologies to those with no phone or don't have a camera on their phone]"

so just a bit of fun on your phone. personally I am really enjoying it. I don't get much chance to get out with camera which I don't like so this gets the brain working!
So far the challenges have been great and have enabled people to get their entry at home while out shopping or to or from work which gives you the opportunity to get involved!

Keep it running is say (y)

...Keep it running is say (y)

Definitely - I'm just hoping that the film challenges manage to keep going... maybe not as regular as this one - I doubt if some of us filmies could turn a film around in a weekend - indeed some of the chaps in there seem to want 2 different christmas trees separated by a beach holiday on their rolls :LOL:

I have been enjoying this challenge. It’s a more ‘even playing field’. As I am a complete armature in photography and I feel that my skills (and equipment) are inferior to most of the other members. :dummy:
I don’t know if there is a way we could maybe change the ‘rules’ a touch to accommodate more members? :thinking:
Maybe: Don’t restrict with what the photos are taken. Restrict the ‘adjustments’ No Photoshop (No Cloning, sharpening, colour adjustments, etc) All photos must be as it came out of the camera and if using a camera only standard kit lenses to be used. :shrug:

I have been enjoying this challenge. It’s a more ‘even playing field’. As I am a complete armature in photography and I feel that my skills (and equipment) are inferior to most of the other members. :dummy:
I don’t know if there is a way we could maybe change the ‘rules’ a touch to accommodate more members? :thinking:
Maybe: Don’t restrict with what the photos are taken. Restrict the ‘adjustments’ No Photoshop (No Cloning, sharpening, colour adjustments, etc) All photos must be as it came out of the camera and if using a camera only standard kit lenses to be used. :shrug:

It has been allowed to use in phone tools ie photoshop, photogene, various htc programs, etc etc so camera with no processing and kit lens could bee seen as a disadvantage. I think it has been said that there are lots of comps around on here and this is limited to fun on your phone :D. I totally agree with the more 'even playing field' thoughwhich is why this appeals (to me at least)

I also hope it keeps running, it's just a bit of fun. I know not everyone has a camera phone but it's not like there is a great prize on offer that they are missing out on the chance to win. There are plenty of other competitions and challenges going on.

I find it very cool how creative some people have been with some of the themes so far, hopefully these threads will also help inspire those people who only have basic camera gear to not give up hope, producing a good photo is not just down to having the best gear.

Its not really about the number of entries, but about those that do want to enter having some fun with an alternative image making tool. There are other comps & challenges that are for normal cameras, or film cameras, or whatever [still annoyed for messing up my attempts at movement on film last week] and as has been said, if you can only use a phone, it levels the playing field a bit - its about the end result remember.

Oh yes, and its not just for iphones!! Not sure where that misconception came from, in fact neither of the 2 winning entries so far have been taken using an iphone [so much for it being the best camera :p :LOL: ]. Editing - well, if your phone and its apps can do it, its acceptable (y)

FWIW, I set this up as one off for one weekend, the fact that people wanted it repeated is enough to keep it running while we keep getting entries - if people get bored, then it will stop - seemples :D

Now then, get voting if you haven't, its very close atm.

I also hope it keeps running, it's just a bit of fun. I know not everyone has a camera phone but it's not like there is a great prize on offer that they are missing out on the chance to win. There are plenty of other competitions and challenges going on.

I find it very cool how creative some people have been with some of the themes so far, hopefully these threads will also help inspire those people who only have basic camera gear to not give up hope, producing a good photo is not just down to having the best gear.

[S1]Best Post I have seen in a while![/S1]

I think it's a great idea, and just the thing to show that it's not all about the kit, it's about the photographer... It almost makes me wish i'd a cameraphone. Almost, but not quite :LOL:

I should send you my old LG - that will challenge you more than any film camera - hell, just making a call on it was a challenge, never mind trying to use the camera! :LOL:

To be honest, i've enough challenges with finishing off this years POTY, and the film one at the moment - in between hospital visiting, now my dad's just bust his hip :( Just wish we'd got a topic up for the november subject, so I could get it shot before he gets out of hospital, and I'm tied to the house for the next couple of months :shrug:

I think it's a great idea, and just the thing to show that it's not all about the kit, it's about the photographer... It almost makes me wish i'd a cameraphone. Almost, but not quite :LOL:

I can just guess at the sort of camera phone that you'd like:

camera-phone.jpg

In phone processing might get a bit tricky though! :D

Hi all,

Been busy at work today so not had time to join in the earlier discussions, for what it's worth I too think this competition should continue, as I said earlier I find this fun and totally agree with Nicky it helps bring out your creative side.

I know that I have probably posted more this week than I ever have done before, mainly in an effort to try and create more interest in the competition (though apparently this has not worked) but I don't think that has been helped by the fact that the competition forum no longer appears on the home page for all to see, but before anyone gets the wrong idea, I am not complaining about the new home page format, there are other ways to get to see new posts I know, I just don't think it helps not appearing when you are trying to get new people involved especially if they don't regularly visit the competition forum.

just my opinions.

Looking at the voting, I hope there are still more votes to come, or out of interest, who chooses next weeks theme if it is a draw :shrug: I'm sure it won't come to that as there are still several hours of voting left, but just a thought for the future.

Soooooooo Yv how do we decide :shrug: lol well done Smokeyj and well done everyone for taking part and keeping the fun alive :D :clap:

Maybe sme people didn't enter not because their phone is inferior but they missed the thread completely :shrug:

Soooooooo Yv how do we decide :shrug: lol well done Smokeyj and well done everyone for taking part and keeping the fun alive :D :clap:

Same to you Seashaker. (y) and everyone else for both the entries and the votes.

You’ve been a member longer than I have (my Mom always told me to respect my elders :D) so you win this one ;)

Well done Seashaker and Smokeyj deserving winners :clap:

I suppose we could have 2 themes next week, one from each of you, entrants could then choose which one they wanted to enter - or maybe 2 competitions, one each :shrug::LOL:

Alternatively, shared bragging rights and discuss a new theme between you via pm?

Well done Seashaker and Smokeyj deserving winners :clap:

I suppose we could have 2 themes next week, one from each of you, entrants could then choose which one they wanted to enter - or maybe 2 competitions, one each :shrug::LOL:

Thank you (y)
I think 2 themes will be too much :thinking:
If Seashaker is OK with shaing bragging rights. We can PM negotiate about the theme :shrug:

Congratulations to both, well deserved winners (y)

This was a great theme, lets hope the winners can come up with another good one for this week.

Cheers

Dawn :)

P.S. I didn't want my last post to spark such a debate, all I wanted was clarification on what the expectations were for these comps, which has now been cleared up. Here's hoping we have another great turn-out for the next theme.

If Seashaker is OK with shaing bragging rights. We can PM negotiate about the theme :shrug:

It should defo be shared bragging; you can make each other feel spechul in PMs! :p :D

Please please don't pick Fireworks though! :LOL:

Congrats you two :clap:

No fireworks theme please :D

As above I agree with the no bangsticks bit; but not themed?

There's a whole raft of things that you can do based on the Nov 5th Plot itself; Rebellion is one that springs to mind straight away! :D

As above I agree with the no bangsticks bit; but not themed?

We will chose a theme (other than fireworks ;))

There's a whole raft of things that you can do based on the Nov 5th Plot itself; Rebellion is one that springs to mind straight away! :D

I hope this is not your idea of a subtle hint :cautious: :p

We will chose a theme (other than fireworks ;))

Okay! .... How about bonfire night then :D

And congrats too to both winners and well done to everyone who entered and voted :clap:

Back