Beginner photgraphing oncoming aircraft

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Im hoping to visit an RAF base this week and the viewing area is at the end of the runway. I need to know what settings to use to get nice sharp shots of RAF Jets taking off either towards me or away from me. What focussing methods and how to ensure the aircraft stays in focus as it travels. I will be using a Nikon D7200 with Sigma 150-600c.Thanks.

You should have good results with this…
  • AF-CH
  • BBF
  • 9 active AF points
  • Auto ISO
  • Manual mode
  • Matrix metering
  • ƒ8
  • start with 1/1500 s + …
Good luck Jason! :cool:

Last edited:
It's difficult enough to pan with a relatively slow jet like this Strikemaster that I took at yesterday's Weston Super Mare show. For a head on runway shot you really need to mechanise the process...
  1. switch to manual focus
  2. carefully select a suitable spot on the runway where the aircraft will fill about 75% of the frame when it passes
  3. focus on something at that point
  4. select the highest drive speed you can
  5. start shooting when the aircraft is filling about 50% of the frame (it will be out of focus)
  6. keep firing until the aircraft overflows the frame.
  7. select the best shot from the lot.
A tripod or even a monopod will help a lot unless you really trust your lens / camera VR.

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1010654.JPG

Your sigma lens is more than capable of delivering what you want. So is your camera. You will need to have enough dof to get a good sharp shot of the aircraft. You will have to up the iso as i would look for 1/2000 or above for jets. This will take out any camera shake. Have a great day

Thanks guys. I will be tripod mounted on the lens and hopefully remember to turn VR off. Although, i'm sure I read somewhere that the sigma lens has a panning switch setting?? Im not sure if this will be needed in this situation? Ive only used the lens on a couple of occasions.

As previously mentioned your setup is more than adequate to get what you need,
My tamron 150-600G2 has the mode for panning but I rarely use it at all,
I don’t really do in the air shots I’m more for on the runway etc..
Start off around 1/1000 and work up depending on how fast it’s moving at that time,
I would go with Group AF if your camera has it and then maybe 9 points,
Couple of test shots beforehand on something that your not bothered about capturing could help in the setup

Last edited:
Back