Photo Competition round 4 - Closing date 03rd July

S

Steve

The Photography Forums Photo Competition round 4

Subject is Double Take (Make me look twice)

Closing date 18.00 on the 03rd July

Please send your entry to competition@thephotographyforums.com

Rules and how to enter

Your entry should be reduced to no bigger than 600 pixels along its longest edge. This includes any borders that you may or may not want to add. The size restriction will help protect the images from being stolen/copied and also ensure that all pictures are viewed under the same restrictions.

Panoramics are allowed up to a max dimension of 1000pixels, the competition gallery will accept this size, admin discretion applies if we dont think the image is a true panoramic!!

Post processing and “Photoshop” work can be applied but please do not put your name or forum alias on the picture anywhere, the whole of the voting system relies on members not knowing which entry belongs to which member.

All photos submitted should ideally be shot for the competition, the aim is to improve. Submitting old photographs is not going to help you do that. If you require critique on an older photograph just make a post in the member’s gallery on the forums and we will do our best to oblige.

All members who enter must vote, any member who chooses not to vote will have their entry disqualified and any votes that have been received for that submission will be awarded to the next in line.

Once you have your entry ready (only one per member and once submitted no changes will be allowed), send it via email to competition@thephotographyforums.com and include your forum name. Any entries received that are to big, have names on the photo itself, do not have the members name included with the email, or that are received after the closing date will be rejected.

The closing date for the round will be posted in the round competition thread. Any entries not in by that date will be disallowed.

Once the closing date has passed, all the entries will be numbered and displayed in a “Competition Gallery” for all to view. All members will then have 7days to vote on their favourite three photos using the forums PRIVATE MESSAGE system. Votes for your own entry will again be disallowed and anyone suspected of cheating will have their entry removed from this round of the competition.

Whoever is handling the running of round can be contacted by Private Message if you have any specific questions that you may not want to ask on the forums. You will also need to contact that person by PM with your votes once the entries are displayed. Any other questions/comments can be posted in the competition thread.

Matty has kindly offered to handle this round of the competition so if it goes all wrong we can blame him ;)

Good luck to everyone..let the fun begin.

Double Take??? What the heck does that mean Steve?lol. Are we going for shock value in this round? Or does the pic have to be absolutely "pictureperfect? Oh well I've been meaning to update my "selfportrait" of myself anyways seeing as I have a new camera, he he he :p

Cheers, jules.

Just to clarify, I'm sure the comp was going to go with the new size guideline this round, 800pix longest side?

Steep said:
Just to clarify, I'm sure the comp was going to go with the new size guideline this round, 800pix longest side?

Nope, the comp is sticking with 600pix unless you submit a panoramic which can be upto 1000pix and accepted at the admins discretion.

Double take (Make me look twice)

mmm?

a) two pictures in one?
b) two main objects?
c) two themes in one picture?
d) all of the above?
e) i didn't understand jeje

CHEERS, sorry for the question.

double take

n. a delayed reaction to an unusual remark or circumstance, often used as a comic device.

n : a delayed reaction indicating surprise

ppuga said:
Double take (Make me look twice)

mmm?

a) two pictures in one?
b) two main objects?
c) two themes in one picture?
d) all of the above?
e) i didn't understand jeje

CHEERS, sorry for the question.

It can be whatever you think it should be, the judging isnt restricted to just a couple of people, its all of us who will judge it so it will be what we ALL think of the picture....so dont worry, lol

First entry for the round has now been received, so the email is working!

How is everyone doing with this round, finding it easy or extreamly difficult?

I have not had chance to get out with the camera since a few of us were at Silverstone but I also have not got a clue as to what I can photograph subject wise to fit this theme. :shock:

Steve said:

I have not had chance to get out with the camera since a few of us were at Silverstone but I also have not got a clue as to what I can photograph subject wise to fit this theme. :shock:

Quite tough, but once I saw my shot I thought it fitted in quite well. Hopefully makes a viewer look twice.

Steve said:

Having missed the last round I was determined to make time to go out and shoot something but I've really drawn a blank in the inspiration department. Still, a few days to go.

Well I am glad to say that I have a suitable entry now. It may not be a winner but it does definately fit the theme and at least I will be able to enter something :) I know how much hassel you guys would give me if I didn't submit an entry. :shock:

my entry is in also

Steve said:

Difficult, I'm going to end up in a rush again :(

IanC_UK said:
Me too !

My plane landed at 5:15 this morning, so am into my second day on the trot with no sleep !! i am knackered so wont be doing much today ! lol

I am glad you arrived safely Ian, the big question is was your new camera gear waiting for you in the hotel?

Steve said:
IanC_UK said:
Me too !

My plane landed at 5:15 this morning, so am into my second day on the trot with no sleep !! i am knackered so wont be doing much today ! lol

I am glad you arrived safely Ian, the big question is was your new camera gear waiting for you in the hotel?

Yes mate ! ;)

When i feel less sleepy i will try and get some of the weekends pics up for some constructive criticism ! :) although in this heat i will probably not be able to sleep ! lol so keep em peeled !

I'm finding the theme is far too abstract. Normally I find the point of photographic themes is to show that theme in a photograph. Now I've got to try and play to the ideas of about 10 other people in the hope that they look at my shot twice. To say its hard is an understatement :)

petemc said:
I'm finding the theme is far too abstract. Normally I find the point of photographic themes is to show that theme in a photograph. Now I've got to try and play to the ideas of about 10 other people in the hope that they look at my shot twice. To say its hard is an understatement :)

its a bit of a challenge isnt it.. :tripod:

petemc said:

I couldn't agree more and personally feel the theme/subject has got far too tricky/abstract for only round 4.

This competition was aimed at getting people to take photographs and receive feedback and encouragement. If people feel they cannot think of anything suitable, let alone find that and photograph it, they will not enter and the comp will die. I am not having a go at anyone, least of all the person who chooses the theme as they have earned the right to choose the subject as they wish. However I do feel that a simple subject would be far more fun and bring more people into the frame, thus allowing more people to benefit.

Something for us all to think about whilst this round continues?

Steve said:
petemc said:

I couldn't agree more and personally feel the theme/subject has got far too tricky/abstract for only round 4.

This competition was aimed at getting people to take photographs and receive feedback and encouragement. If people feel they cannot think of anything suitable, let alone find that and photograph it, they will not enter and the comp will die. I am not having a go at anyone, least of all the person who chooses the theme as they have earned the right to choose the subject as they wish. However I do feel that a simple subject would be far more fun and bring more people into the frame, thus allowing more people to benefit.

Something for us all to think about whilst this round continues?

I think you guys hit the nail right one the head. It's much too tricky of a subject. This site is still fairly new and you want to draw more people in with every competition right? Get more and more people involved. Not the same people every month. I don't think what you have chosen for this round is going to do that. I haven't participated in the past comps due to the fact that I just want to get more comfortable with my D70 :D I was going to give it a serious go at it this round but I'm just at a loss as to what to photograph. So I know I won't be in this round, sorry.
Cheers, jules. :D

jewel said:
I don't think what you have chosen for this round is going to do that...snip ...So I know I won't be in this round, sorry.
Cheers, jules. :D

It wasn't the admin that chose this subject remember? ;)

The rules of the competition state that the winner of the previous round gets the choice and in this case Mr Feeson took those honours. As he had already won one round and was away on holiday he passed them down to Simon F who came up with this theme.

We can't blame Simon though as there was/is no brief as to choosing the subject and he quite rightly chose what he wanted. It might be worth us asking people to think carefully about suitable subject matter for each round though, as we have already said this competition and the site as a whole is still in it's infancy, we want to encourage people to use them both and be a part of their growth. Alienating anyone from any part of that is not productive and I don't believe anyone intentionally has that agenda.

All we can hope for is a reasonable turn out for this round and a much easier subject for the next and coming rounds as chosen by our very sensible (please) winners.

Errr, can I point out that one or 2 thought picture postcard a hard theme but at the end there were still the same number of fine entry's as the previous months theme of architecture.

This time round...... yes, I'm finding it hard to say the least, I'm thinking on what to do and keeping my eye open, its challenging me, good!

I may fail, I may not get the shot or even "a" shot, but I'm thinking on it working my way through, simple obvious themes are often not so interesting nor as educational.

Simon has picked something I never would have thought of to suggest in a million years, good for him :D

One week left, take your camera out with you this weekend!

well, i managed to get an entry in,

even tho i didnt think i would get a shot to match the theme, it was very hard this time, so everyone who enters is already a winner,

even so,, some one will have to come last , and i expect it will be mine this time , lmfao

MP

I think I might have something. One problem is though that people who know me will know it's mine, so it breaks the rules :?

Digital SPG said:
I think I might have something. One problem is though that people who know me will know it's mine, so it breaks the rules :?

Surely thats an issue with a lot of people? I recognise some peoples frames, or styles. I'm sure people would recognise mine.

I wouldn't think it's an issue. It's all a bit of fun after all and I don't believe anyone would be swayed to vote for one entry over another because they thought they knew who took it. Would they :?:

crikey i wouldnt recognize one persons style over another, i dont pay that much attention!

well im collating the entries this round, so it dont matter to me at all

TBH some peoples work has a certain style, ie in the last round I spotted Steves at 50 paces, but it is a bit of fun, no prizes as such so I dont think people would be influenced if they thought it was one person or another that took the shot.

That's half the fun for me, besides looking and judging the pictures I try to guess who they belong to.

Sometimes it's easy and sometimes it harder and can make you get it completely wrong. Styles can be predictible but people can and do change, their submissions don't always scream their name. ;)

Sunday os the closing date for this comp, i realise its a hard round but a few more entries would be great! The entries ive got so far are all totally different, people choosing to interpret the theme very differently from each other, so come on and have a go! 8)

last day for this tomorrow, ive had a few entries now, but a few more will be welcome!

as the keeper of the images i can honestly say that the entries ive got so far are ALL completely different! no 2 the same, people are interpreting this theme well, and given that its a hard one, i think they are all very good!

Just one day remianing now ladies and gentlemen, get those photos submitted before the deadline passes.

I won't be enterig this round I'm afraid.
Due to other commitments I haven't been able to get out and capture something.
I do have ideas for the round and will endevour to capture something for the future.

almost more important than entries ( i did say almost ) we need

VOTERS !!!

so please try and view the entries and make a judgement on the 3 you like the best, as this comp is pritty useless if we dont get more voters than just the peeps who have entered

so please vote

MP 8)

this is just my opinion and not neccesarily the views of the admin :wink:

Back