Photo Iceland Workshop

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
New to the forum and have couple of years experience using a D3200 & D5300.

I'm 50 next year so looking at treating myself to a trip to Iceland.

Just wondering if anybody has had any experience using a organised workshop as opposed to DIY?

Thanks in advance.

There are regular trips from here to Iceland. Organised trips will cost an arm and a leg. We went for ten days earlier this year for approx £1000 each all in - flights, car hire, accomodation and food. If you have a few weeks to spare you can read the thread on here:-

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/iceland-again-march-2015.549235/

Some of those guys are talking of going again next year so there's a thread about that too:-

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/iceland-feb-march-2016.584093/

Thanks Mick, I read them last night, it looks a great way to do it :) It's having a few weeks spare :(

The biggest obstacle is the weather! We were very lucky to have a few hours of clear skies, especially since they coincided with a massive aurora storm. We also had one good sunset evening and were lucky to be at a suitable location to take advantage of the dramatic skies and sunset. At one point we were expecting to be stuck at the South Eastern corner (Hofn) due to extreme high expected winds - fortunately the storm wasn't as bad as expected so we could head West.
We only "did" the South coast and the Geysir/Gullfoss road but that was enough to fill our 10 day trip and leave us wanting more! At some point Mrs Nod and I will go back and do a bit more of the island, possibly taking a few weeks and doing the ring road properly and maybe a few trips into the interior if the roads are open.
IMO, the scenery looks better with some snow on it. One of the locations we visited twice was fairly snowy on the first visit but pretty much clear of the stuff a week later - I think all my prints are from the snowy visit. However, snow can make travel a bit... different! Of 3 cars (Toyota LandCruisers) in the convoy, 2 had gentle offs on day 1 due to very slippery roads and very high winds - without the studded tyres, it would have been all but impossible (and certainly foolish!) Car hire wasn't cheap, either. Exchange rates are variable so no point in being too specific but IIRC it was about £800 for each car (and that was with basic insurance - extras cost extra but could be worth it, one of the cars had a screen go - £700...)
Driving there is actually very easy (other than when it's difficult due to snow!) since traffic outside the populated areas is very light - you can drive for many miles and not see another car. The popular spots can get busy but wait for the coach to leave and you should get a few clear shots of that waterfall (but you might need to get creative/low on the ice beach [watch out for the waves...])

I will go back and do a bit more of the island, possibly taking a few weeks and doing the ring road properly and maybe a few trips into the interior if the roads are open.

Yes indeed. My thoughts as well. In summer too when the days are longer and the light better. I fancy the NW coast with all those inlets and coves, then back across the central plateau if the car hire company gives permission.

If you're turning 50, you probably want to go all out - but if you wanted to just do guided bits for only part of the tour, try https://www.facebook.com/arcticshots - they are pretty new, but is a couple of icelandic photographers I was previously following their work & then they have set this up. They run a few tours - northern lights (when appropriate), Snæfellsnes peninsula day tour, Reykjanes peninsula day tour, golden circle day tour, South Coast day tour - they handle the driving. I am going to try a couple out next time i go. I have never really been happy with my photos on previous visits, so i thought i'd try a different approach and see what happens with some guidance on locations and shots.

There is a car hire offer through I heart reykjavik blog (locally run blogger) from Budget which is a good offer (she also does a walking tour of the city which i recommend) - Geysir were the cheapest I found with all insurances (not including Sad cars who rent out cars i wouldnt trust as a single lone female) but I've not done the trip yet so i can't say if i recommned them yet! But for note, I am renting the most basic of basic, for 3 days so i dont know if bigger more sturdy cars are as competitive on price. No car hire insurance covers damage to the underside of the car, as far as im aware.

Nod is right - the biggest obstacle is the weather, which is you're on limited time/schedule can wipe out planned itineraries - weather might mean i do NO tours with arctic shots, but i'm corssing my fingers! Nod is also correct than in good weather, driving is a piece of p***, on regular roads. Some roads are 'interesting' - the road to Dettifoss is like driving over a cattle grid for 20k & if i hadnt been the one driving my friend would have made us turn back - so if you end up there, dont be disheartened - we were in a suzuki vitara, wouldnt have attempted it in Yaris type thing
This will be my 5th visit in August/September - and a great choice for your 50th! :banana:

Back