Photobucket new visibility etc

Edit My Images
No
I use Photobucket for general stuff and am wondering if anyone can see my entry in the new old film (take off) thread?

What about this one, which I posted today, in case the blocking was date related

I saw that Brian's entry, was there, disappeared, then came back - weird!

I've also posted images in other forums. I also created this thread
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/very-small-under-saddle-bag-for-tools-tubes-patches-etc.204969/

I wonder if other users can see the photos of my bike and tool bag?

Incidentally, whilst on the Photobucket web page just now, my Norton flashed up a blocked fake Flash player installer. That sort of thing never usually happens to me. I've never trusted Photobucket and that confirms it for me.

Well I posted my shot from Photobucket before I got their email, now I can't click the links on the RH side and am trying "google photos" and if you can now see my pic it looks a promising free site.
..and yep I can see your shot.

Last edited:
At the moment I have gone over to "Tiny Pics" where you can still post to forums. This is part of the Photobucket group. strange they keep this going and close down their main site

2m2yz9w.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. it was an experiment in getting light shining through petals

Checking out Google Photos:- anyone see this kiron 80-200mm lens
upload_2017-7-3_9-59-40.jpeg

I can see all the photos posted here on a Raspberry Pi browser which knows nothing about me. I can see photos of bits of my bike on the forum to which I posted a link. I saw info about Photobucket's change of conditions http://uk.pcmag.com/webcom/90124/news/photobucket-breaks-image-links-across-the-internet

Perhaps they did implement that policy, then changed their mind. In summary:
"I just don't get it"

Update: Brian's entry in the 'chairs' competition isn't visible, it's just a red X sign. You can click on it and see the swings but I'm so wary of the whole site now, I think I'll stop using it altogether.

Last edited:
So, there's another thread about this on the Talk Photography sub-forum, and plenty of angry people across the internet. Basically they have disabled 3rd party hosting unless you pay them $399 a year which is ridiculous.

However, I can see all 3 of the photos on this thread, and all the images on the "Take Off" thread including Brian's.

I had a look at the "previous challenges" sticky, and my image in challenge 40, reflected glory, was just showing as a red cross (not the strange PB meter upgrade ad). I tried clicking on it and the wheel just spins, it doesn't load. Previously I had tried logging in to my PB account, and that worked eventually. I'm wondering if the internet is taking its revenge with a little bit of denial of service to PB?

Anyway, I identified the image in that earlier thread, located the image and uploaded it to flickr, and replaced the link, and it appears to have worked. That took a few minutes, so replacing the 1000 or so images on PB is going to take sometime! One of the things that bothers me is that I could easily get the wrong image, so then I've effectively changed the meaning of the past thread!

I went back to the earliest threads I posted, and searched through to find one I cared enough about to replace the images. It was interesting that the oldest thread I had put any images in was fine... and the images are in the TP Gallery!

I found this thread; the opening post had a couple of dead images in it. I used EDIT Post to work out what they were, found them still in my Pictures folder and simply uploaded them to TP in place of the dead links. The first was easy, the second more complicated for some reason (it loaded the first image for a second time at first). This process was quite quick, maybe 3-4 minutes, but depended on being able to find the images somewhere in my TP Uploads folder.

Then I tried this thread. The opening post has 6 images, one from a digital camera, the others from two different films. It was a bit complicated finding the image files in my TP uploads, and I wasn't confident in uploading that many separate files to the same post, so I decided to load them to flickr. I've created an album there called AltPB for these sort of images; they are publicly viewable at the moment, but I might try the trick that @steveo_mcg mentioned somewhere of making them private on flickr but public on TP. Anyway, finding these images in Aperture, uploading them to flickr, and editing the post to replace the PB images with flickr ones was quite complicated; I'd guess over half an hour for one post.

Since the oldest posts are probably the least likely t be viewed, it might make more sense to start with the latest threads that used PB-based images. But it's all looking rather expensive of my time. If there was a PB option as cheap as the basic SmugMug tier ($3.99 a month?) I'd have considered paying it rather then going through this effort. OTOH, I wouldn't want to pay for that pile of codswallop!

Maybe they've suggested a ridiculously expensive price to elicit a response and are now monitoring the tinterweb to see what they can get away with.

Turning back time might be useful? MySpace, Rattners, anyone?

Any reason why I'm the only one to suggest trying "google photo"..... just upload your shot and then copy and paste here. For my shot posted here I just uploaded a 1800px (on the longest side) and thought it would look extra large, but it looks like F&C (or google) resized it to about 1000px.
If you think google are going to use your shots on their sites, well being with Photobucket for years and google (taken from Photobucket) are already using some of my shots esp in search for examples of something photographic.

Any reason why I'm the only one to suggest trying "google photo"..... just upload your shot and then copy and paste here. For my shot posted here I just uploaded a 1800px (on the longest side) and thought it would look extra large, but it looks like F&C (or google) resized it to about 1000px.
If you think google are going to use your shots on their sites, well being with Photobucket for years and google (taken from Photobucket) are already using some of my shots esp in search for examples of something photographic.
I've been using Flickr for years and find that apart from the oversharpening issue it serves its purpose as a hosting site. It'll be interesting to see how others get on with Google but I don't feel the need to change.

I've been using Flickr for years and find that apart from the oversharpening issue it serves its purpose as a hosting site. It'll be interesting to see how others get on with Google but I don't feel the need to change.

Well I'm with flickr as well but find it confusing\unfriendly (probably cos I don't use it much), but "google post" was so easy to use IF just copying and posting to a site. Well as I have just started using google was wondering what's the catch\drawbacks\problems etc...and someone that has been using it regularly would know.

I can see all the photos posted here on a Raspberry Pi browser which knows nothing about me. I can see photos of bits of my bike on the forum to which I posted a link. I saw info about Photobucket's change of conditions http://uk.pcmag.com/webcom/90124/news/photobucket-breaks-image-links-across-the-internet

Perhaps they did implement that policy, then changed their mind. In summary:
"I just don't get it"

Update: Brian's entry in the 'chairs' competition isn't visible, it's just a red X sign. You can click on it and see the swings but I'm so wary of the whole site now, I think I'll stop using it altogether.

if you look at the top of my picture of the flower you will see it was done via tiny pics

I use Flickr for my better photos. Google seems very intrusive to me. Somehow some of the photos on my phone seem to have been transferred to my Hudl tablet's 'AutoBackup' folder without my asking anyone or any thing to do such a task. I'm experimenting with hosting the photos myself on a Raspberry P

Last edited:
Not sure if it will just be for me but the second image loaded VERY slowly, i am talking dial up slowly!
All in all, it's getting a bit much for my poor little Pi Zero and the business of embedding will require me to do some scripting, which I need to look into. I've edited my post to delete the links and will try again when I've got a better idea of the work involved. Maybe PB will change their mind and leave the odd bits of stuff I have on there, unchanged

Did I spy a pig flying past my window??? ;)

Flickr is a poor host for blogger - images come out distorted when displayed on a blogger page, and I've started uploading small versions on mine to google so they get presented correctly on the blog.

I have just cancelled my pay Plus 20 account with Photobucket for this very reason.

I have resurrected my Flickr account and will now be using this for my hosting and keeping the free PB account for achieve library only.

I hope they (PB) feel the full affect of their actions in loss of business.

From twitter I found this blog post: http://www.ljsedgwick.xyz/photobucket-fiasco/ which in turn pointed me to a service called imgbb. Its terms of service are very simple; I've just uploaded one image, which was easy, and created an album. I was able to set the privacy settings to "Private (accessible with link)", which looks about right. Intriguingly, there's an option to upload from an image URL, so guess what I'm going to try now!

EDIT: Unsurprisingly, "Image couldn't be added" from the Photobucket URL.

However, I've now added a dozen images in one go. Dead easy. Coming up, a whole directory full!

Woohoo, 34 images in 88 seconds!

Last edited:
I have just cancelled my pay Plus 20 account with Photobucket for this very reason.

I have resurrected my Flickr account and will now be using this for my hosting and keeping the free PB account for achieve library only.

I hope they (PB) feel the full affect of their actions in loss of business.

You were an actively paying user and the did this to you too? Madness.

It turns out that I didn't choose the right album with my 34-iage upload, and changing them to an album is a PITA.

Also, and this might seem odd but I'm serious, I didn't see any advertising OR any subscription choices on imgbb, which makes me worry about their business plan and hence sustainability. If there's nothing keeping it afloat other than someone's good wishes it will eventually sink, and then I'd be back where I started. :(

H'mm google post doesn't work properly here anymore as I just copied an image from google then paste here (like before) and it now gives a message "the uploaded file too large"...well I'm not uploading the image from my hard drive and 900px (from google) on the longest side isn't massive.

Testing out imgur with a shot h'mm coming out with a red cast like flickr:-
4lfrj1C.jpg

Back