Photogenic places in Devon/Cornwall?

Name
Leigh
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to get away from London for a weekend in the Devon/Cornwall regions and was curious to hear recommendations of beautiful places to visit? I'm particularly interested in any really old ruins. Tintagel Castle looks lovely although I am concerned about the logistics of getting there as it doesn't appear to be near any transport hubs.

Any recommendations of places to stay would be most welcome too!

Sennen Cove
Zennor
St. Ives
Godevery Point
St. Michael's Mount.
Lands End

just to name a few in Cornwall

Thanks! Googling those now. Someone should really put together a database for photographers to look for cool places to go. I've looked for some but the few I've found have always been really badly done.

If you're not driving around Cornwall you're going to find it difficult to get to some of the places listed above. But its a good list, adding in Marazion and the Minack Theatre near Purthcurno :)

Went here in the summer, nice spot and is a national trust place with lots of parking space. Seemed a lot of places didn't want you parking there so be careful of just turning up somewhere random. You can go for a good walk and I think there is a ferry you can go on from that area but we were only down for 2 nights for a friends wedding so didn't do that much sightseeing. Have a great time

evans-70 by CJ Evans, on Flickr

If you can get to Newquay then Fistral beach is always worth a look.
You do occasionally find some decent surfers there.

11045_180949911363_180939366363_3412087_4845218_n.jpg

As Puz says, getting around Cornwall is not easy unless you are driving. So many places are remote, which adds to their charm but makes them hard to get to. There are loads of ancient burial sites and stone circles around Plymouth and Bodmin but a car really is a must.
Also, the weather here changes really fast and is way wetter than many seem to realise, so pack some waterproofs....

For cornwall If you're not driving a lot of the nicest places will be out of bounds, as you really need a car to get to them. Rail links are non existent these days and buses are very hit and miss.

My faves are;

Lands end (ignore the touristy bit and walk the Coastal paths)
The Lizard
Godrevey
Mousehole
St Ives
...just to name a few

Last edited:
Just to note, if you are driving, be a little wary of relying on a Sat Nav - they will guide you down some very narrow winding roads if you let them!

Which is fine, until you meet someone coming the other way :eek:

Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone! Unfortunately I don't own a car, although I guess I could always rent one. I really love the look of Mousehole, and considering I can take an overnight train from Paddington to Penzance to get there, it looks like it would be a good first port of call.

Don't forget to watch a few Jethro videos before you go to learn the accent. Mousehole for instance is pronounced "Mowzo" I believe. And if you do go by train, remember the train don't stop Camborne wednesdays.

:D

few places below which are gd to go, b ut like everyone is sayin you could do with a car really, as buses are a pain in the bum down here

Sennen Cove
Porthcurno/The Minack Theatre
St. Ives
Godevery Point
St. Michael's Mount.
Lands End
St Mawes
St Anthony's Head
Goonhilly
and a few places down towards the lizard like an old Airbase at Predannack but you will deffo need a car for the last few places as they out in the middle of no where haha

if your down this way and need any help give us a shout, on places to stay i know a few nice hotels but they are bit prices and some of them are in the area's above.

Cheers

Last edited:
That's Mowzal ;) :LOL:

Don't forget to watch a few Jethro videos before you go to learn the accent. Mousehole for instance is pronounced "Mowzo" I believe. And if you do go by train, remember the train don't stop Camborne wednesdays.

:D

go to cape cornwall its brilliant
i stayed in penzance which seems to close down at 9pm buts good for getting around

straycat said:
go to cape cornwall its brilliant
i stayed in penzance which seems to close down at 9pm buts good for getting around

Yes cape Cornwall is lovely.
In fact if the op wants, I can post photos of some of these locations as I spend a lot of time down there as I have family there (and I was born and raised there!), I love the place!

Last edited:
Photogenic places? Open up a map of the whole peninsula and stick a pin in. you should be able to find something worth a few MB within an inch or so of the pinprick.

Photogenic places? Open up a map of the whole peninsula and stick a pin in. you should be able to find something worth a few MB within an inch or so of the pinprick.

Very true

Last edited:
Back