Photographers at football matches.

Name
Errr Pete?
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm not a big football fan, but I caught some of the Manchester United game yesterday as it was live on 'ordinary' TV. What I noticed was the lack of photographers behind the goals, it used to be crowded with them, why aren't they there any more?

Pete

Most big games have DSLRs with remote shutter releases behind the goal instead of an actual person with the camera. Allows the photographer to be in another place with another body and lens to get different shots.

Theres bleeding loads of them, its just that they sit below pitch level so are quite difficult to spot, the pitch drops off quite sharply behind the goal/dead ball line

Yeah seems all remotely operated now, a few guys shoot football on here at that level though who could tell you better. I caught some of the game, think Joe Cole was being chimped on what looked like a D4 + 400 2.8.

Thanks for replying guys, two differences of opinion.

Yes, they tended to crowd around the 'nets', no doubt trying to catch the close in shots at goal.

Pete

I shoot the high end football, and it all depends on the game, the ground etc.

Usually around anything from 3 photographers up to 15/20 odd, match dependant.

these days we all spread out, around the entire pitch, but i try to sit where the attacking side celebrates when they score, so you get a good celebration shot.

Some photographers cluster together but for me its crazy to do this, as a rule of thumb i stay away from Getty and AP as they have contracts with the nationals so no point getting the same angle as them,

1 remote cam with wide angle behind goal with remote

one body with 70-200 2.8 with the remote trigger to fire off the wide angle.

and my other body with a 400 2.8 on for the mid field shots and tight portraits etc

we usually sit low down behind the electronic signs so we can be stealth, look out big res jackets.

hotp that kind of answers any questions :)

West Ham have two pits either side of the dugouts that most have to work from. Some are allowed in other areas, hence looking like there were not alot of photographers there

What end were you watching? At many games most are behind the goal where they expect to be getting the shots of goals. Certainly that seems to be the case in Scotland with the old firm lol

Thanks very much Tom, a very clear and informative answer.

Pete

tamphotography said:
I shoot the high end football, and it all depends on the game, the ground etc.

Usually around anything from 3 photographers up to 15/20 odd, match dependant.

these days we all spread out, around the entire pitch, but i try to sit where the attacking side celebrates when they score, so you get a good celebration shot.

Some photographers cluster together but for me its crazy to do this, as a rule of thumb i stay away from Getty and AP as they have contracts with the nationals so no point getting the same angle as them,

1 remote cam with wide angle behind goal with remote

one body with 70-200 2.8 with the remote trigger to fire off the wide angle.

and my other body with a 400 2.8 on for the mid field shots and tight portraits etc

we usually sit low down behind the electronic signs so we can be stealth, look out big res jackets.

hotp that kind of answers any questions :)

Interesting! What triggers are the chosen ones, and are there enough frequency channels for everyone? lol

It probably doesn't matter so much if you end up on the same channel as they'll be triggered around the same time :)

I saw one tog got swamped at the Swansea-Arsenal match yesterday when Arsenal scored their second. The player ran to the side of the goalmouth and right up to the side of the tog. When everybody else jumped on the player they swamped the poor guy. Must of got some good shots of players legs and feet.

Back