Photographic Hides

Totally OT... but...

Just had a great weekend in Center Parcs, Lake District - and right outside our window (and all in about 30mins one morning!) we had...

Coal, Blue, Great & LTTs; Tree Creeper; GS Woody; Pheasant, RL Partridges amongst all the usual stuff

Now while this lot came close indeed, within 10-20ft all of them, what really surprised me was how fast the buggers moved :eek: even the Pheasant didn't actually stay still for more than a second, and the Tits... OMG are they on Speed or what :eek::eek::eek:

So this OT is just to say...

RESPECT - to all you snappers for the great tweetie shots we see on here

:clap:

DD

We just waste a lot of shots. :D

You're weakening DD - I can see it happening. ;)

CT, I sling some scrim over the sigma if I use that in the hide,Saying that, mine is only the single man version,but it seems to work ok.
That's not a bad idea either, just throw some scrim over the gear and keep down behind the camera with some suitable headgear - that way you keep that nice unobstructed field of view.

A tip for you guys, use a camo Buff available from Blacks etc I have several all different camo patterns a fraction of the price of a lens coat and just as practical, if you get the Polar Buff it even comes with a potion of fleece attached to keep your hand warm, most of you will be using wrist straps it's a simple matter to attach it this with a safety pin(y)

A tip for you guys, use a camo Buff available from Blacks etc I have several all different camo patterns a fraction of the price of a lens coat and just as practical, if you get the Polar Buff it even comes with a potion of fleece attached to keep your hand warm, most of you will be using wrist straps it's a simple matter to attach it this with a safety pin(y)

Good tip! I already have a camo lens coat on the 500mm, but they are daft money for what they are.

Good tip! I already have a camo lens coat on the 500mm, but they are daft money for what they are.

Agree completely with that....(y)

Hi Agger...

'Blacks'...? can you point me to a store url please? Ta.

EDIT: no worries... found it! d'oh!

Blacks have a big store in Telford - the one we usually go to.

Found the www site, but I can't find the camo buff mentioned here. Any pointers CT?

It's really a case of looking in almost any outdoor type store most of them will sell Buffs or similar, I have at least 4 different types of Camo one's I have found on my travels, they won't protect against knocks like a lens coat BUT I am so carefull with my kit(y)

The standard Buff is just a polyester tube with no seams to fray, the Polar Buff is a Polyester tube with fleece at the end, I double over the fleece (so it keeps my hand toasty in a hide) and then the rest of the poly tube covers my 500mm f4 and lens hood completely, and all jst attached to my wrist strap with a safety pin.

I' at Slimbridge WWT quite often so if anyone wants to see one, just contact me, I'll be there tomorrow morning (not on the Visions of light seminar with Andy Rouse) but on my own:shrug:

Something else I do is protect my lens foot with a piece of plastic cut from a plastic bottle or similar and make a hole in to match whichever lens I use, some have 2 attachment points a la 500 or just one a la 300mm f/2.8 place this between your lens and foot tighten up and no scratches to your lens foot(y)

Aggers top tips LOL (y)

I've been very interested reading this thread. I'm currently looking for a solution for me that would enable me to sit on my scooter, and have enough room next to me for Chris to bed down in his sleeping bag if we have driven a while to get to where ever. I've looked through all of the links on this thread so far, and while some of them look like it may be possible, I am left with quite a space between my seat and the opening in the hide for my lens. So I have an idea I might try.

I'm going to buy enough netting to cover maybe a 6ft square space, a ground sheet, 4 poles and some guy ropes. Then construct it so it's basically a 6ft square cube :LOL: Oh and I'll keep a green golf/fishing umbrella in the car just in case. At least with it being so flexible I can drive forward a bit once up and the netting will just move over me until it's close enough for me to poke my lens out, if you know what I mean :shrug:

Anyway, I've been looking on ebay at various netting and wondered what people thought of THIS one?

Also for anyone looking into net screening, this guy has a good deal, and maybe two people could split the price and have a pack each? HERE £29.13 for two packs of Concealment Leaf Blind - 12' x 56"

Yeah I did, but it's a little bit too expensive. Though it may work out cheaper in the long run :LOL: ... Hmmm, maybe I'll book mark it for the moment until I've done a few calculations. Thanks for bring it back to my attention, I may just have dismissed it too quickly before (y)

Another larger hide here Jo...

CLICK

It may be more convenient for you for the quicker setup, albeit a bit dearer?

Back