Photographic Hides

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone have any experience of this two-man hide? It looks a lot for the dosh to my mind, and I'm wondering how much use it would take.

CLICK

Any other suggestions welcome. (y)

Does anyone have any experience of this two-man hide? It looks a lot for the dosh to my mind, and I'm wondering how much use it would take.

CLICK

Any other suggestions welcome. (y)

Sorry I dont have one but I was thinking of buying one so am interested as well :D

Well they have some single person hides too - this one is 17lbs to hump around mind you. :D

from what i have heard they are quite heavy, so that could be worth thinking about depending on how far your going to be walking with it.wildlifewatchingsupplies do some nice hides i got the c30 dome hide really light and can also fit a little tripod chair in the bag that goes on me back dont even know its there can walk for miles but it cost £200

http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/domehide.htm

just weighed mine goes 7lb with the chair

I have had mine for a while now, and I find it really useful. I tried one out before I purchased mine, and deliberately chose the two man over the one man, the reason being I can put my camera bag/flask/sarnies on the second seat. The one man was fine for actually taking pics from, but not much room available to change lenses etc. It is more cumbersome than heavy to carry: there are two straps on the carry bag that you can put over your shoulders like a backpack, but I tend to just carry it under one arm, with my camera bag on my back.

I mainly use mine in the garden - I cannot get decent close-ups from the house, whereas the birds soon get used to the hide nearer the feeders. I have used it at some old gravel pits locally (I have been trying to get a kingfisher pic since last winter, but no luck), and have found that the birds get used to the hide much quicker than a netted car.

Anything else I can tell you?

I have had mine for a while now, and I find it really useful. I tried one out before I purchased mine, and deliberately chose the two man over the one man, the reason being I can put my camera bag/flask/sarnies on the second seat. The one man was fine for actually taking pics from, but not much room available to change lenses etc. It is more cumbersome than heavy to carry: there are two straps on the carry bag that you can put over your shoulders like a backpack, but I tend to just carry it under one arm, with my camera bag on my back.

I mainly use mine in the garden - I cannot get decent close-ups from the house, whereas the birds soon get used to the hide nearer the feeders. I have used it at some old gravel pits locally (I have been trying to get a kingfisher pic since last winter, but no luck), and have found that the birds get used to the hide much quicker than a netted car.

Anything else I can tell you?

That's great - do you have this actual same hide? :)

Well we need a 2 man hide really so that her indoors can get set up as well, then if there's nothing about we can mess around - try for a baby maybe. :LOL:

Probably best to try one if you can - I think two people in mine would be tight for space, especially if you both use a tripod. That is why I have my kit on the spare seat - I sit down (you enter from the front), pull the "hood" over from behind me, do the zip up and adjust stakes (if neccessary), then I set up the tripod and camera and open the required flap last. Hope that makes sense?

Been looking for something like this myself, i wonder if they will send to Spain.

Thanks for the info and the link. Much appreciated. (y)

You're welcome. As I have already said, I would definitely try one before buying if it is to be used by two people. It is a bit far for CT to travel, but if any one local to me wishes to have a look at one of these hides before they purchase one mail-order, they are welcome to come round/meet up somewhere.

then if there's nothing about we can mess around - try for a baby maybe. :LOL:

So there will be something being hidden in your hide then! ;) :naughty:

The hide is very good for the money I had no trouble setting up and when used for Kingfishers I was about 15ft away and they didn't bother with it, a couple of housrs after setting branches up and hide they were there - see photo - note I still used scrim round lens and to "block" other window.

Few points I found:

It is fairly heavy and in bag is about 4ft tall so don't expect to go far with it. setting up is easy, just remember the two ferrules that slip over at back of seats. Seats are integrated in design so don't come out, so any movement you make can make hide move a bit - I didn't find this a problem but it worth knowing. I have 2 seater not much room for gear so would imagine a single seater one could be difficult. Used Tripod and manfrotto gimbel on Canon 500 f4 and it all just fits but only just lens is sticking out as you can see in photo.

There are two small windows left and right which are handy if you just unzip down as can see around a bit better. If you have a site that's far away and you know is good for shots then might be better investing in a more expensive one, otherwise this one should do fine, did for me.

king-7.jpg

I purchased one of the Stealth 360 (3-man) hides mainly as I wanted to ensure I had plenty of room inside to move around and change lenses etc once in situ and if I had a 2nd person in with me.

It is pretty big once erected but that's the price of having stacks of room internally. As for weight, I lugged a 400mm 2.8 + gear around the world's race circuits for 7 years so that doesn't bother me - just class it as part of my fitness regime.

The only issue I've had with it is in that there's no instructions with it and it's not as simple as they make out to erect on your own. Hopefully now I've marked the hinged joints sequentially, that task will be far easier next time out.

As an aside, I left it out overnight on my patio to let the birds get used to it prior to a shoot and that night of all others over Xmas we had un-forecast gales and it got cartwheeled around the garden. Result - the fabric over the under-tension 'knuckles' got scuffed away and the struts popped through rendering it useless until repaired.

Guy

I had the one man version and returned it for a refund. For fair weather it would be fine, but I was out in rain and the seat filled with water, not a pleasant experience.

I now have the Wildlife Watching Supplies standard dome hide and this suits my needs far more. It's tougher, lighter and although not waterproof, I've that the rain just runs off it.

I had the one man version and returned it for a refund. For fair weather it would be fine, but I was out in rain and the seat filled with water, not a pleasant experience.

I now have the Wildlife Watching Supplies standard dome hide and this suits my needs far more. It's tougher, lighter and although not waterproof, I've that the rain just runs off it.

but you do get the option to buy the waterproof cover for it

well just checked no we cant but the water runs off anyway

why not a gillie suit could scare people at the same time.:p

I was actually researching these last night when your wet arse episode came up on Google for me.....that struck the chair hide off my list. (y)

Bob

Guys I know some of you are old pmsl(y) I'm 55 by the way, but sureley a Cam net is all thats required, I carry mine everywhere in a small gore tex bag I can put it up in seconds using large safety pins or I can drape it over me I also use a foam cushion for my lardy bum I know it's not necessarily as comfy as a chair but where do you draw the line? I already carry somewhere in the region of 18 / 20 kgs in whichever bag I choose to carry, add to this the weight of a Gitzo G500 studex tripod and I reckon I should have joined the SAS I certainly look the part:wacky:(y)

I mean this in jest before anyone has a real pop at me:shrug:(y)

Guys I know some of you are old pmsl(y) I'm 55 by the way, but sureley a Cam net is all thats required, I carry mine everywhere in a small gore tex bag I can put it up in seconds using large safety pins or I can drape it over me I also use a foam cushion for my lardy bum I know it's not necessarily as comfy as a chair but where do you draw the line? I already carry somewhere in the region of 18 / 20 kgs in whichever bag I choose to carry, add to this the weight of a Gitzo G500 studex tripod and I reckon I should have joined the SAS I certainly look the part:wacky:(y)

I mean this in jest before anyone has a real pop at me:shrug:(y)

That's a fair point actually, in my pigeon shooting days, I had a very lightweight hide which was just basically four aluminium poles and some leafscreen netting. It all packed down into a bag and was very compact and lightweight. Something else to think about. (y)

Thanks for all the input foilks.

Hi Cedric,

I have Dougdarters Dalek if you remember, it's pretty good, only single seat, fairly flimsy as its really only one of those fold-up green picnic seats that everyone uses for music festivals and a light metal frame and nylon cover fitted on top. Definitely not worth the asking price when new, but it's pretty good ay the price I paid for it S/H off Doug.

I also find it very claustrophobic although the 2-man might better, but harking back to your pigeon shooting days I don't think you will like it as you just cant see around you too well only what is in front of you, My dad and I ( ex gamekeeper ) thought of going down the poles and camo netting route too, which I think is cheaper, simpler and at least let you 'breathe' if you know what I mean. And no doubt the camo netting is lot lighter these days

Mike.

Firstly must say thanks to CT for starting this thread second to you guys that have hides and are sharing your experiences , I too am looking at something like this but had thought of using Camo netting , has anyone used this again thanks Chaps :)

PS: they have a forum with pics of the hides if anyone is interested " Nature Gear Forum "

Do they make these in Urban camo? The headteacher at the local colleage keeps catching me :)

Hi Cedric,

I have Dougdarters Dalek if you remember, it's pretty good, only single seat, fairly flimsy as its really only one of those fold-up green picnic seats that everyone uses for music festivals and a light metal frame and nylon cover fitted on top. Definitely not worth the asking price when new, but it's pretty good ay the price I paid for it S/H off Doug.

LOL. I remember Doug's Dalek - I didn't realise you'd bought it.

I also find it very claustrophobic although the 2-man might better, but harking back to your pigeon shooting days I don't think you will like it as you just cant see around you too well only what is in front of you, My dad and I ( ex gamekeeper ) thought of going down the poles and camo netting route too, which I think is cheaper, simpler and at least let you 'breathe' if you know what I mean. And no doubt the camo netting is lot lighter these days

Mike.

I can see exactly what you're saying there Mike. Thanks mate. (y)

I have been weighing up a lot of options for the last couple of months, and am torn between a proper hide and a "blind", and think the blind would be a better option, as you get all round visibility, but your shape is broken up, plus there is room to have a few of you behind it. Im sure i will end up with both, but i think ill be getting a blind first and see how i get on with it :)

Thanks John. Nice pics. :)
No probs CT. I must say that I find this hide superb. It has built in 2-seater chair that unfolds as one sets up the hide, it is all in the design of the frame. It isn't too heavy to carry around (I did take it to Skomer Island for a few days when I stayed overnight), it is easy to set up (under a minute), and most importantly it does the job of allowing you closer access to your subjects. I have even had birds on the roof!!!

Tip: I've also bought a small portable camping gas heater to use in the winter... it gets bloody cold in this weather I can tell ya!!!

No probs CT. I must say that I find this hide superb. It has built in 2-seater chair that unfolds as one sets up the hide, it is all in the design of the frame. It isn't too heavy to carry around (I did take it to Skomer Island for a few days when I stayed overnight), it is easy to set up (under a minute), and most importantly it does the job of allowing you closer access to your subjects. I have even had birds on the roof!!!

Tip: I've also bought a small portable camping gas heater to use in the winter... it gets bloody cold in this weather I can tell ya!!!

LOL. Tell me about how cold it gets!

The 'proper' hide appeals John for the comfort, and the built in seats - not to mention some protection from the elements. I can see Mike's point though. A hide like this would be great for say, a Kingfisher, when you know exactly where you intend to take the shot, but the restricted field of view could be a problem out in say woodland/heathland where you may well be getting critters all around. Then again - if you'd previously baited an area or put out feeders I can see how the proper hide would still do the job.

Decisions, decisions. :thinking:

I have been weighing up a lot of options for the last couple of months, and am torn between a proper hide and a "blind", and think the blind would be a better option, as you get all round visibility, but your shape is broken up, plus there is room to have a few of you behind it. Im sure i will end up with both, but i think ill be getting a blind first and see how i get on with it :)

If there's any gun shops in yoir area Ian it might be worth popping in and seeing what they have. They usually have a good selection of cammo netting - hide poles etc.

Ahh, but this hide has side openings as well... hang on... I shall try to find a few images I have taken from inside the hide itself to show you...

Here you go CT... not brilliant 'inside' images as I use 4/3 which doesn't allow for huge wide angle shots despite the 11mm lens used.

p1008833590-4.jpg

But you can just about see the opening on the right hand side of the hide (at this time I used this opening to get some Sand Martin shots as they were nesting in the sand banks of the river - shout if you want to see them), and there's an equivalent one on the left hand side too. The front has a large opening and smaller openings within this larger opening if you don't wish to 'expose' yourself ... :)

Plenty of room for 2 people, copious amounts for 1!! I have slept in mine for a few hours - led across the two seats as the rain came in!!! :LOL:

LOL. Thanks John. (y)

So this hide has a double (2 person) seat? Do you know the weight?

Cedric, I have the single person version.Yes it is about four foot long, but is very light and easy to carry.Set up takes 2 minutes,if that, including taking it out of its carry bag.The whole set up goes into a rucksack type bag.

Yes it is waterproof and light and easy to set up.Downsides, I do find it small if I have the siggy and tripod in there,there are 5 windows all in but I do find the lack of all round vision annoying but I guess that is a trait of most/all hides?

To be honest a lot of my photography is from inside woodland looking out into clear land, come spring and foliage,I will probably use it less and less.You tend not too mind sitting on the floor and crawling around trees too much when it is warm..........:D............Though it will be used to get those pesky kingfishers down on the river this year and my quest to get the LE and SE owls.

My favourite hide at the moment is this baby,heater,comfy and will go most places I want it too..............:LOL:

Hilux1.jpg

great thread with loads of information. My current hide is behind the living room window, and when its warmer, under the gazebo with scrim net hung down the sides, but been looking for something I can actually take out about about, so looking through these with some interest.

However, something that isn't mentioned - what do you guys do about finding out if you can set a hide up in certain places? Woodlands, riverbanks, etc, is it local knowlegde, getting permission, or just plain walking right in and doing it anyway? :shrug: And apart from 'sod off, I am not sat in this silly tent for nothing you know' what do you say to anyone that approaches your hide? :thinking:

Back