Tutorial Photographing Outdoor Sport...the COMPLETE guide

jamesb84

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
jamesb84 submitted a new resource:

Photographing Outdoor Sport...the COMPLETE guide - Photographing Outdoor Sport...the COMPLETE guide

So...you want to photograph Sport eh?!

There’s a lot of people on Talk Photography that want to have a go at Sports Photography…that’s great, it’s a fantastic discipline, and I think it’s one of the most challenging areas of photography.

We’re saturated (whether you know it or not) with sports pictures every day. The back of every newspaper has some large shots, some of the largest in the newspaper. Don’t read newspapers? What about the online news sites, like BBC News or Sky...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic tutorial , have no intention of photographing sport as such ... but will be applying it to kids SPORTS DAY in 2 weeks time !!
many thanks
david:clap:

A great guide, I've been thinking about getting out next year and ruining some shots of the local rugby clubs (just for fun and as another way to be out and about with my camera) so I'll certainly be bookmarking this (y)

Tara

Great tutorial.... However seeing as you work for an agency, I think maybe a bit about getting a job in the sector. Kinda guess it involves hard work, brilliant photos and contacts.

Brilliant tutorial overall though, good read and I picked up a bit from it so thanks :)

Well, I go out for a weekend and I get a shedload of replies!

Thanks for all the kind comments...and I agree that it is geared towards ball sports. I deliberately didnt include tennis/cricket/baseball as there are slightly different requirements for shutter speeds etc (think about it...ball goes a LOT faster ;) )

That said, I do think that the tutorial provides a good basis for photographing any sport. I must admit though, I don't do that much athletics, which is why I didn't include it...I personally don't feel confident enough to provide knowledge on it! Maybe after the summer's outdoor season, I would be tempted to update.

With regards to equipment...well, equipment tends to get into a bit of a ****ing match...you can see what gear I use in my "camera bag"...however, that's vastly different to what a lot of people have, and thats before you get into the Nikon v Canon arguments.

I will add a further section just looking briefly at gear and at jobs/finding work...if the mods approve? It's not really "photography technique"

Fantastic tutorial James..very informative. Thanks for taking the time to share your expertise.

Soon as work out how, I'll be adding this to my favourates,

Great tut, a couple of people above have asked already- but for someone starting out-kit to start with? any suggestions, extras needed i.e. good rain cover?
I have done a bit of reading and I hope what I have will be ok for next seasons rugby. Nothing big time- My son U13s. becaused I can go up and down the side lines I have a 70-300 is usm.
Not the DO version (Kids spend my money;0)

A rain cover is worth investing in but you can just as easily have a home made jobbie :naughty: with a clear plastic bag, some elastic bands and duct tape.

If you go to the top of the page, click on forum tools and you can subscribe to the thread ;)

Cheers done it, and thanks for taking the time to advise us peeps just starting out. Much appreciated.

FYI, I only found this site because I was looking for a cheap rain cover and I stumbbled on a link to a thread where someone in here was developing a cheap but effective cover

Cheers done it, and thanks for taking the time to advise us peeps just starting out. Much appreciated.

FYI, I only found this site because I was looking for a cheap rain cover and I stumbbled on a link to a thread where someone in here was developing a cheap but effective cover

Not a problem, you'll find a good bunch on here happy to help especially with the sports shooting, myself, James, Purpleclouds, Tobers, ThebionicDan, Kipax and quite a few others shoot for agencies and are happy to help out :)

Thanks for the advice and gave it a go. Set exposure mode to Manual, Shutter speed to 1/640 and aperture to 2.8. Had to set ISO to 5000! Images rather grainy. Where am I going wrong? Any advice.

Great tutorial thanks!

I've just been taken on as 'official photographer' of my brother footballs team, and possibly the local academy might be interested in using me too! This was very very helpfull!

Thanks for the advice and gave it a go. Set exposure mode to Manual, Shutter speed to 1/640 and aperture to 2.8. Had to set ISO to 5000! Images rather grainy. Where am I going wrong? Any advice.

Hmmmm, without a bit more info on where you were it might be a bit difficult to help. Were you shooting at night/floodlit? If so, then that might be why...unless you're at a premier league ground ISO 5000 isn't unfeasible.

However, if it was daytime...then you've stumped me. Unless you've got any example photos? That would help.

[I’ve worked as a sports tog for 5 years now, I’ve covered Premier League, Champions League, Rugby World Cups, European Championships and anything else you can think of for a “big 5 agency”…this is rare so you should “use me” and make the most of it!

Who are the "big 5 agencies" in the UK? Are Getty and PA etc. included or is it more the sporting agencies like Action Images?

Who are the "big 5 agencies" in the UK? Are Getty and PA etc. included or is it more the sporting agencies like Action Images?

I've always thought of the "big 5" as being the following:
Getty Images
Press Association
Action Images
Associated Press
Agence France-Presse

I've now worked for one, and am working for another this coming season! Happy times.:D

Thanks James, really interesting, got a works 5 a side match this Thursday, gonna give some of the tps you've mentioned a go and see how it turns out....

Great tutorial. Wish I had printed it out and took it with me to my first cricket match today as it's a lot to remember.
Just need to practise.

Tony

Great tutorial. Wish I had printed it out and took it with me to my first cricket match today as it's a lot to remember.
Just need to practise.

Tony

:LOL: I thought the same thing,after reading a few tips from various threads here, SO, today I went out and bought a little note pad to keep in my camera bag ;)

The problem is, with all the good peoples advise on here, I need a BIG note pad.

Thanks to all who take time to give the advise, it is greatly welcome.

And P.S. keep it coming (y)(y)(y)

any hints an tips for someone looking to get into motorsport photography?
seeing as i would probably be only be able to photograph from the public side of the fence til i can get some photographs published.

Thanks

:LOL: I thought the same thing,after reading a few tips from various threads here, SO, today I went out and bought a little note pad to keep in my camera bag ;)

The problem is, with all the good peoples advise on here, I need a BIG note pad.

Thanks to all who take time to give the advise, it is greatly welcome.

And P.S. keep it coming (y)(y)(y)

I have a notepad to write down the scorers, key events etc. I found it helped especially if at a tournament.

I have a notepad to write down the scorers, key events etc. I found it helped especially if at a tournament.

The Record button is a great feature of the 1D bodies...though not sure if the xxD series has it.

It's great to just attach a quick wav file to the image with some basic details. Though you do look a bit odd talking to your camera.

As for everyone's thank yous...I'm touched. I WILL get around to writing the third installment eventually. It'll probably be in the next few weeks as I'll be on hiatus while my mkIII goes off for a service.

Hi James,
just read your tutorial, thanks so much. i take a lot of field hockey photos and even though i was spot on with your first section on manual settings , the rest of it was really helpful, especially about cropping and binning! i now need to go bin all my rubbish shots and give my hard drive a new lease of life!

Great guide... signed up to the forum specifically to read it and I'm glad I did!

Thanks!

Really interesting tutorial - I would love to be able to get close enough to photographing a Premier match to receive a hot teabag around the ear! :)

Thanks James, i've just had a really thorough read through your post!

A lot of revision but some new to me, great tips on general sports composition!!!

Rich

This is a great little guide. Hoping to be shooting a fair amount of outdoor sport this year...so thanks very much.

Back