1. Dael_Pix

Dael_Pix

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Monday I went to Stainforth Foss. Only managed to capture one fish jumping (water level was too high), but all the photos were out of focus/blurry and I would like to ask how I can get them in focus on a Canon 24-70mm?
    Deleted the photos, so I can't give any examples.

I'm buying a wireless shutter remote and should have it by next week, I'll be heading out again when I have it.

2. jakeblu

jakeblu

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Not sure a wireless shutter remote will help to be honest. If all your photos are blurry then the likelihood is, you've missed focus or your shutter speed is too low, or maybe a combination of the two

3. russellsnr

russellsnr

Name:
    Russell
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Hi, After trying birds in Flight over the last coule months I was also finding that although exposed OK the images where well OOF looked online and found out I was using the wrong settings, stuck in my way of AV or manual mode for Land/seascapes never gave the TV mode a thought so I tried TV, ISO Auto and pushed the shutter between 1000 to 2000 with + or - compensation depending on the subject matter now getting some decent images all round so try AV mode with Auto iso and a fast shutter speed +/- compensation, if it worked for birds it may work for your problem. Russ.

4. Dael_Pix

Dael_Pix

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I've been meaning to buy another since I upgraded my camera last year, and having a wired or wreless remote will help for the achy arm while holding your finger on the shutter button. It's common sense really.

I tried it in Tv mode and may have had the ISO on only 100 :/

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  5. Phil V

Phil V

Name:
    Phil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    WTF
    Aren’t you aware of the phrase ‘you learn from your mistakes’.

FFS... Those of us who learnt on film didn’t have the data to go with our images, and learning was hard. Some geeks used to make constant notes, they learned faster, but who needs that level of diligence.

Your camera recorded all the clues to find out what you did wrong, but you chose to throw away that useful info and ask a bunch of strangers to guess

Utter genius!!

Bearair, stryvya and holty like this.
  6. Marc1548

Marc1548

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    A tad harsh, but a very valid point.

7. Phil V

Phil V

Name:
    Phil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    It’s not an isolated incident :(

8. akr

akr

Name:
    Al
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It's hard to say without the details, but if everything is blurry it sounds like your shutter speed was not fast enough, camera shake or some combination. Try TV mode and see if you can set an auto ISO level so it ups that to maintain the shutter speed.

Try again, keep the photos, and if they don't work post them up and we can see.

Good luck.

9. gad-westy

gad-westy

Name:
    Graham
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I've not actually tried shooting salmon before but my ignorant assumption would be that you probably don't have much or any time to find them in your VF and then grab focus before they're dissappeared so instead you could try pre focusing on a particular area where they seem to be jumping and then switch to manual focus to leave it there. Shutter speed is going to need to be very fast, probably at least 1/1000. Everything else to suit.