Beginner Photographing salmon jumping, Stainforth Foss on River Ribble

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Monday I went to Stainforth Foss. Only managed to capture one fish jumping (water level was too high), but all the photos were out of focus/blurry and I would like to ask how I can get them in focus on a Canon 24-70mm?
Deleted the photos, so I can't give any examples.

I'm buying a wireless shutter remote and should have it by next week, I'll be heading out again when I have it.

Monday I went to Stainforth Foss. Only managed to capture one fish jumping (water level was too high), but all the photos were out of focus/blurry and I would like to ask how I can get them in focus on a Canon 24-70mm?

I'm buying a wireless shutter remote and should have it by next week, I'll be heading out again when I have it.
Not sure a wireless shutter remote will help to be honest. If all your photos are blurry then the likelihood is, you've missed focus or your shutter speed is too low, or maybe a combination of the two

Hi, After trying birds in Flight over the last coule months I was also finding that although exposed OK the images where well OOF looked online and found out I was using the wrong settings, stuck in my way of AV or manual mode for Land/seascapes never gave the TV mode a thought so I tried TV, ISO Auto and pushed the shutter between 1000 to 2000 with + or - compensation depending on the subject matter now getting some decent images all round so try AV mode with Auto iso and a fast shutter speed +/- compensation, if it worked for birds it may work for your problem. Russ.

Not sure a wireless shutter remote will help to be honest. If all your photos are blurry then the likelihood is, you've missed focus or your shutter speed is too low, or maybe a combination of the two

I've been meaning to buy another since I upgraded my camera last year, and having a wired or wreless remote will help for the achy arm while holding your finger on the shutter button. It's common sense really.

Hi, After trying birds in Flight over the last coule months I was also finding that although exposed OK the images where well OOF looked online and found out I was using the wrong settings, stuck in my way of AV or manual mode for Land/seascapes never gave the TV mode a thought so I tried TV, ISO Auto and pushed the shutter between 1000 to 2000 with + or - compensation depending on the subject matter now getting some decent images all round so try AV mode with Auto iso and a fast shutter speed +/- compensation, if it worked for birds it may work for your problem. Russ.

I tried it in Tv mode and may have had the ISO on only 100 :/

Last edited:
WTF
Aren’t you aware of the phrase ‘you learn from your mistakes’.

FFS... Those of us who learnt on film didn’t have the data to go with our images, and learning was hard. Some geeks used to make constant notes, they learned faster, but who needs that level of diligence.

Your camera recorded all the clues to find out what you did wrong, but you chose to throw away that useful info and ask a bunch of strangers to guess

Utter genius!!

WTF

Aren’t you aware of the phrase ‘you learn from your mistakes’.

FFS... Those of us who learnt on film didn’t have the data to go with our images, and learning was hard. Some geeks used to make constant notes, they learned faster, but who needs that level of diligence.

Your camera recorded all the clues to find out what you did wrong, but you chose to throw away that useful info and ask a bunch of strangers to guess

Utter genius!!

A tad harsh, but a very valid point.

It's hard to say without the details, but if everything is blurry it sounds like your shutter speed was not fast enough, camera shake or some combination. Try TV mode and see if you can set an auto ISO level so it ups that to maintain the shutter speed.

Try again, keep the photos, and if they don't work post them up and we can see.

Good luck.

I've not actually tried shooting salmon before but my ignorant assumption would be that you probably don't have much or any time to find them in your VF and then grab focus before they're dissappeared so instead you could try pre focusing on a particular area where they seem to be jumping and then switch to manual focus to leave it there. Shutter speed is going to need to be very fast, probably at least 1/1000. Everything else to suit.

I went two weeks ago and used Manual

Don't think so, they're not that brilliant

I've not actually tried shooting salmon before but my ignorant assumption would be that you probably don't have much or any time to find them in your VF and then grab focus before they're dissappeared so instead you could try pre focusing on a particular area where they seem to be jumping and then switch to manual focus to leave it there. Shutter speed is going to need to be very fast, probably at least 1/1000. Everything else to suit.

.... Prefocussing in Manual Focus on an area you anticipate them jumping might help, it depends how reliable the target's positions are. Also, if you don't shoot MF, most remotes autofocus automatically and that could be disastrous.

You need 1/2000s at the very least! 1/4000s or above is better. Also the fastest burst rate your camera has.

If you use a remote, wireless or cable, it allows you to better see the whole scene and anticipate better rather than burying and losing your eye in the viewfinder.

Personally although I have and occasionally use a wireless Hahnel Captur which has a range of up to about 100ft I would suggest a Canon cable release and your camera on a tripod - That way you can stick your eye in the viewfinder whenever you want or not and still fire the shutter.

Be prepared to shoot hundreds of pics to get any keepers! Keep trying and experimenting to find what works best for you and your gear.

It might not help but if you check out my Flickr pages you'll find shots of Bumble Bees (cable release) and Dragonflies (wireless remote) in flight. I haven't attempted leaping Salmon yet but it's impossible to anticipate Trout in my local river!

Last edited:
+1 for prefocus. With 24-70 even at 70 at F8 you have a few meters of DOF. On the other hand side it’s unlikely to be a close-up unless you’re standing in the river...?

Back