Photography books

Name
Simon Everett
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a library of books on photography. Are they of any use to anyone. I don't suppose they have much value, but if they are of some use then I won't ditch them. Maybe get a couple of beers out of them, but if they aren't worth even that, then I'll do a tip run later this week.

What do people think?

Are they "how to" books or photographer books? The former may not be so useful but the latter always have value (to me :))

I don't think I've ever tipped a book. They always go down to our charity hospice shop. Someone somewhere will find a use for them!

As Ian says, never 'tipped' a book......at the very least charity shop e.g. Oxfam near us has a shop just for secondhand books.

If "how to" types then maybe clubs or schools might like them. "Photographer" books possibly have more value in the charity/secondhand bookshop market than the "how to" ones???

In regard to tipping ~ AFAIK any books with laminated covers or pages will not go into the recycling stream.......so will end up in landfill :(

Last edited:
Wedding portraiture is one - techniques and posing styles, lighting ideas - the fact that it comes from 'film' days doesn't matter as the method of setting up and lighting are the same. So in my view, the 'lessons' are still valid.
Several AOP awards books from over the years.
Other technique books, again from various folks, such as the guy with the speedlights, 'the moment it clicks' and his other one. I can't remember his name now!
There is a book on the Mamiya RZ
I did have a load of old brochures too - some with my work in, so they won't be worth anything! Nikon, Mamiya and Rollei (I'll have to dig them out).

That kind of thing. If they are worth £20 all in, I'll sell them and buy a case of beer - otherwise I'll take them to the charity shop - great idea. Thank you.

Wedding portraiture is one - techniques and posing styles, lighting ideas - the fact that it comes from 'film' days doesn't matter as the method of setting up and lighting are the same. So in my view, the 'lessons' are still valid.
Several AOP awards books from over the years.
Other technique books, again from various folks, such as the guy with the speedlights, 'the moment it clicks' and his other one. I can't remember his name now!
There is a book on the Mamiya RZ
I did have a load of old brochures too - some with my work in, so they won't be worth anything! Nikon, Mamiya and Rollei (I'll have to dig them out).

That kind of thing. If they are worth £20 all in, I'll sell them and buy a case of beer - otherwise I'll take them to the charity shop - great idea. Thank you.
I’ll take them if you stick a for sale post in the classifieds?

It is possible to sell books by the kilo. A horrible thought that, really.......
At least it's gone metric - in the 18th century they were sold by the yard :)

Back