Photography club

Pwl

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
I was considering joining a local camera club we have a couple of them very local to where I live…..
I noticed that the clubs seem to have a big emphasis on photography competitions !
im not really into photography to win or compete in competition I simply take photos for the love of it.
I certainly want to learn as much as possible if only to make things easier !
My question is is it worth joining a club ?

I joined my local club during lock down for a bit of social interaction and meet other local photographer. I was skeptical before and wasn't sure it was was for me - from the outside, club photography seems is a little old fashioned, cult like and exists outside of the rest of the photography world (in my opinion).

but, I have enjoyed it. It's nice to chat photography with others, exchange ideas, etc.. competitions are a fun, some take it seriously, others don't. I enter them for entertainment more than anything - and I find them fun. It'll give you an excuse to print and present work, and that's exciting.. showing your work to others

I have to make sure I get my inspiration from outside sources though - I don't want to turn into a 'club photographer'. A lot of images are very samey in an effort to please judges!

Last edited:
It's a good question and only you will be able to answer it, in reality. I'd suggest going along to a meeting of both clubs to suss them out. You might find that whilst what you see online is competition-focussed, they are actually more about the social side, but you have to go along to find that out.
i'm not a clubby person, and the one time I tried a camera club, I didn't take to it because they were all about who had the best kit, and a bunch of older white men taking photos of young wannabe female models. Not my cup of tea. But I do realise that many (most?) clubs are not like that.
I think there are plenty on this site who do enjoy clubs and who participate in or judge club competitions, and will vouch for how it can up your game when you participate.

I've tried four in the last four years and they've all been the same:

Too much emphasis on competition.
Too many competitions.
Too much talk about competitions.
Not enough time to mingle and get to know others - surely the most important aspect of any club.
Boring speakers - holiday snaps - really? :facepalm:
Mostly digital - no one interested in film.
Mostly retired people with nothing to attract younger blood.
Too many people who talk the talk, but can't walk the walk.
Not enough encouragement and or coaching/tuition.

I could go on, but I've given up trying now . . .

Last edited:

Too many competitions.
Not enough time to mingle and get to know other - surely the most important aspect of any club.

Nailed it. Camera clubs..where creativity goes to die.

If you want to learn photography, go on a course. If you want to improve thereafter, then consider joining a club, albeit with the caveat that clubs who are competition focussed tend to focus on what will get them points and this may or may not be the kind of aesthetic / subject matter that interests you.

Second caveat - not all clubs have the same emphasis and approach Some may place more emphasis on learning and developing as a photographer but not all do.

But go and try a few, don't rely on the opinions on here as all clubs are different.

Too many competitions.
Not enough time to mingle and get to know others - surely the most important aspect of any club.

Even if you are a member you do not have to enter a competition (less than half our members do). However, it is one of the quickest ways to improve. The mingling has been a problem recently; you may have heard of COVID. My club had an outing only last week but surprisingly only 10% of members joined in. We do not have holiday snaps and hire top speakers; recently mostly professional photographers rather than the usual club speakers. True very few are interested in film at my club but surely that is their choice. Digital has been with us for over 20 years now and many of our members do not know anything about film nor do they still ride a horse and cart. We have been attracting some younger people recently though average age is still quite high, just over 45% are below pension age. We have provided lots of tuition in the past but this has been more difficult recently because people now will not commit to attending a training course. My club has over 120 members and thus plenty of resources and skills. At least you tried even though you did not find a club like mine but you might be better to get onto the Committee and influence things or even start your own club.

Dave

Reactions: Pwl
Lucky you.

I've thought several times about starting one to offer what the others fail to, but I just don't have the energy or the drive any more.

Yes.

Love them or hate them, there are a lot of clubs and lots of members. They serve their member well.
However I and many others are not clubby people. I do not enjoy Photography as a competitive sport,
I do not enjoy the style of photography clubs promote through their judging. You could enter a photograph that your grand father took, and win. it has not changed much since Victoria was on the throne. in many regards it has gone backwards, because at the least the work that they were doing then was cutting edge.

There is no doubt at all that that there is a lot that you can learn at clubs, you can pick peoples brains and get some hands on tuition. But in the main that is down to the individual to ask the right people. some will be extremely helpful And others not so much. And still others overflowing with bad information that they are eager to share with anyone who will listen.

I only have experience of two clubs. but they might as well have been twins. In one they had a sort of library and a collection of past exhibition prints, many from the 20's and30's were the best of the bunch. I think they kept them as target to aim for. but pastiche rarely works.

Find your local club, go along and make your own judgement.

I did twice, ok I wasted a few hours of my life, but hey you never know it might have been fun.
Very archetypal, lots of old people discussing competitions, cuppa and rover assorted at half time and see you next time.

My daughter is a member of a group that's much different.
Before Covid they met up in the local Hotel lounge, no competitions and emphasis was on going out and taking photos.
Mix of both sexes and ages, one was a former editor of a mainstream photography magazine who seemed to enjoy it.

If it hadn't been for Covid I was intending going myself, breaking away from the norm can be done if the effort is made.

Each to their own of course, but not all clubs are the same. Some are clicky, some not, some focus on competition photography but not all. Even those that do have a lot of competitions, you can still learn from. Judges have their opinions, yes they tend to follow the "rules" of photography and tend to refer to them quite often when giving critique (feedback). But they also do give useful ways to improve the image (or should do). Now all art forms are subjective, so you may not agree with the feedback.
The small club I belong to is a mixture of competitions, presentations, members nights (which are used for learning or members to show their own work).

I do wonder what sort of effect Covid has had on the typical photo club mentioned in this thread.
More specifically those with an ageing membership, not necessarily mortality, but more to do with going out and mixing.
Only reading the other day that heritage railways are concerned that their volunteers are mainly of the older generation.

Without younger members to take over the mantle its hard to see how these clubs can survive.
On the other hand do we have a right to think they need changing or even attempt to if they are happy as they are.
More down to starting something new, run in the way those not attracted to the older regimes might enjoy.

I do wonder what sort of effect Covid has had on the typical photo club mentioned in this thread.
More specifically those with an ageing membership, not necessarily mortality, but more to do with going out and mixing.
Only reading the other day that heritage railways are concerned that their volunteers are mainly of the older generation.

Without younger members to take over the mantle its hard to see how these clubs can survive.
On the other hand do we have a right to think they need changing or even attempt to if they are happy as they are.
More down to starting something new, run in the way those not attracted to the older regimes might enjoy.
The majority of my clubs membership is over 50 (me included, but only just). We have lost (not in the died sense) members, but have also retained members who don't want to attend the club meetings (due to covid risk factors) but do want to keep supporting the club. We also only have in person meetings every other week.

This sort of thing looks like it might be more fun that the stereotypical camera club, and could be worth checking out, depending where you live (it's probably much easier to find one in a major city), e.g.:

I recently joined my local photography club for social purposes. I also entered this year competition and it's interesting to see what the judges says about my images and understanding what/how they read certain photos in the competition. As usual, some photos that does not get high score, you'll get people talk about it (same as people in TP who only wants praise words).

They also do presentation of selection of members and tutorials as well.

They have had hosted great photographer talks in the past and apparently there's one tomorrow who happens to be a member in this TP forum :)

Each to their own of course, but not all clubs are the same. Some are clicky, some not
I'd imagine a clicky club is more active :p

The branch of the photography group that I usually attend is just a once a month get together of photographers, sometimes about a dozen and sometimes only 3 or 4.. There is no plan or structure to it except for time and place, and a who thinks they can attend kind of posting on a website. Sometimes it's an informal "Show and Tell", if a member brings something of interest, or it may be some photos of a recent shoot for everyone to see, or it may be a dozen or so of us just having coffee and snacks and chatting about almost anything, but we are getting together and making friends. However, this group has had almost no attendance during these COVID times, but it seems to be picking up again now. The main club has many classes and hiking photo shoots are being scheduled again that can be signed up for, but my hiking and mountain exploration years are long behind me. I'm mostly a studio shooter now, but I do love the monthly chats with these other photographers. It's all scheduled through "Meet-Up" on the internet with one group leader posting the time, date, and place (which is the same every month) and then anyone who thinks they can attend can respond to this post and even suggest topics to talk about. It's this loose "no frills" thing that I have been enjoying most. I get there when I can, but miss about half of them. The big meeting is in December and held in a large facility. I missed going last year because of health problems, but am anxious to go this year.

Charley

It depends very much on the club.
The one I go to has more exhibitions than competitions.
Its more than 5 years since we've had any sort of competition (most clubs wouldn't class that as a competition either), and since covid I think we may be down to one annual month long exhibition, but hopefully the weekend ones will restart.

Last edited:
Guys thank you for taking time to offer your opinion and advice
I do value your input and there are of course some things I’d not thought about.
I guess the best thing to do is to go along to a couple of meetings and see how I go.
I am a social type of a guy and love getting stuck in so to speak !
Once again many thanks

I joined a club in 2007, then moved villages, so joined another. I am now with Kilmaurs and I enjoy it there and I'm not a social animal at all.

My first club was friendly enough, I never really had any problems, there will always be the odd one or two but generally speaking, a good experience. I made some friends for life, friends I wouldn't have now if I hadn't joined. It wasn't a particularly big club though and the standard wasn't top end.

I joined Kilmaurs in 2012. They had a good reputation as being friendly but also serious about photography, they are one of the top clubs in the country, although Covid hasn't helped their ranking. There are a few photographers at the top there who I would call world class. I have competed against them, not to win but to get crit on my images. The judges are external and have no affiliation to the club, neutral so to speak. I've done alright, even won a competition, which was nice and helped my confidence but it was the crit I wanted. I've managed to usually get placed too but I have had my share of low scores as well.

Just don't take it to heart, this is important.

I'm all for crit but one problem can be subjectiveness, which is unavoidable, I don't see how a judge could actually be objective as images can be emotional things. If you're ok with this though and take the good with the bad, competitions can be a helpful thing. My advice would be though, follow your own path/style, don't become blinkered by competitons, remain creative, this is important too. If you do well, then great, if not, as long as you like/enjoy/are happy with your images, that's all that really matters.

If competitions are not for you though, that's fine, you will make friends and get good (usually) advice. A good club should have member's nights too, without a speaker or competition.

One thing I've really enjoyed are the speaker nights, we've had some inspirational photographers and one or 2 famous ones as well, including Doug Allan, (David Attenbrough's cameraman), whom I spoke with at length. Mark Hamblin was the last key speaker Kilmaurs had pre Covid, a lovely guy. I have gained most from speakers like this than I actually have from entering competitions, which isn't meant to knock competitions, it's just my finding.

Have an open mind as you won't get along great with everybody, there's always the odd one or two. If you have a few clubs nearby, they usually and should provide at least one free night to attend (Kilmaurs give you 3) before you make your mind up, use up you're free nights and you'll have a good idea if it's for you or not and if so, which club you'd prefer.

I appreciate clubs are not for everyone and I respect that view, this is just my experience so far.

Last edited:
At one point i was a member of 2 clubs, Musselburgh as my home club and Dingwall as i worked away in the area for a couple of years and it gave me something to do.

the dual club thing helped me understand competition results are simply one judges opinion. I would enter the same image in each club and in one club it would win and in the other get slated. I accept in competitions that you compete against the other images in the competition and could see other strong(er) images winning but not valid critique of excellent to rubbish.

once i understood that after a few similar experiences it was easy to not let the judges score make me think worse of my image. it’s just an opinion and i have an opinion on others images.

what i did find helpful was either the critique and wider range of images and discussion with other photographers. It broadens your eyes to potential images.

i dip in and out of my home club now as my photo mojo takes me. Still enjoy looking at other photographers and their creations

I am a disillusioned member of my local camera club and leader of our nature group. Lockdown killed it for me.

I still work and 2 hours of zoom after a zoom filled day was bad to start off with and it has become more and more tedious over time.... Running our nature group when most of the attendees just sit there waiting to be entertained for 2 hours or show off images from their exotic trips tipped me over the edge. Noone else seems willing to pull their weight.

I like to go out to take pictures for my own enjoyment, so if an outing is suggested there isn't much interest. After some criticism that I didn't enter competitions I did try for 2 years and did rather well (with PDI's -- got no patience for prints) but got to the point of spending whatever spare time I had to put together images for monthlies was tiring. At least I got 2 trophies.

We have monthly competitions, mix of prints and PDIs - judges a mixed bag - some feel it's a little too regular.

However, we have an excellent programme secretary. Thanks to lockdown and our location we've had some amazing presenters over the past few years which are well worth the subscriptions alone. Some presenters are more miss than hit, with remarks such as they are professionals/ARPS/FRPS etc etc and that's the best they can do? but those are in the minority. Most have been excellent. So for me, 2 weeks out of 4 is a reasonable return.

But we hardly go out together as a group.

We do have 'alpha' people like most clubs, not so much in the clique mould, but people who make some noise, plonk themselves into the committee and end up as President within 2 years. These types of people greet me at 'open' events and ask if I am interested in joining the club, only to reply to them saying I've been with the club for 10 years and am leader of the nature group....Then you have the 'civil wars', those are popcorn moments...

A club that can attract great speakers and put together a varied programme is great but a club is not without it's frustrations.

Too many competitions.

My experience has been similar to yours;

I've been along to 3 or 4 clubs over the years to try them out before joining. The first club I visited was having their annual award evening with critique from an invited guest. I left after his comment regarding a shot of an Indian woman in a sari sat on the steps of St Pauls was unchallenged by anyone. 'It would have looked better if it was a white person in the shot'.

The second club was all about the committee and getting people to fork out for arty farty residential weekend courses rather than encouraging groups of people to go out locally and take photos. Any suggestions not put forward by established members were put down very quickly.

The last club I tried was all about competitions but during their annual competition evening it was obvious from some of the entrants' comments that they had taken some of these photos decades ago.

The best club I was involved with had no hierarchy or fees and was set up by 2 friends. We had a good mix of ages and varying skills and we went out, a lot, on different trips and we had a few indoor sessions when the weather was rubbish. Everyone's photography and knowledge improved greatly over time.

I've since moved away and have set up a village club which was running quite nicely along the same lines until Covid. Hopefully the New Year will be when we step outside and pick up where we left off. One thing we did do was to have a monthly competition where the photos were displayed in the Community room of the village shop and we encouraged the shop customers and other visitors to vote for their favourite photo. We regularly had a dozen photos and over 100 votes were normally cast. Not bad for a small village and encouraging for the members when their photo was the one the public had voted for the most.

Last edited:
But we hardly go out together as a group.
Does that mean you don't do practical sessions at all, or do you just do them indoors?

Over 95% of my clubs recent sessions have been practical, under covid that mainly been out on location, but it's now got a bit cold for that in the evenings.

Does that mean you don't do practical sessions at all, or do you just do them indoors?

Over 95% of my clubs recent sessions have been practical, under covid that mainly been out on location, but it's now got a bit cold for that in the evenings.

No practical sessions as a group....usually a trip to WWT in the past, but for some it got too boring, alternatives were too far away. At my old club (the one we had the civil war in) there were always individuals who'd say let's go here or let's go there and we'd pile into a car and share the driving. No-one in my club takes the initiative to say 'I fancy doing this, who fancies coming along?' We did have individuals in the club a few years ago who did...

I could probably write an essay on this. The photo-club dynamic fascinates me :) I am in a club. I'm on the committee in fact. It's the second one I tried. The first one, was absolutely dire: they spent more time talking about club policy than anything else (remember the Dibley parish council meetings and you won't be far off), and the only images I saw, in the six weeks I attended were basic holiday snaps.

However! For the past 10 or so years I have been a member of the Holmes Chapel Photographic Society http://hcphotographicsociety.org.uk/ an altogether more progressive bunch. We used to have competitions and even though my work isn't really typical of the stuff the rest of the members turn out, I did pretty well in them. We never took them too seriously though tbh, and we do have a good laugh at some of the winning images in the external comps as there are some solid stereotypes (beardy men, goths pasted into a background, birds on sticks, landscape processing that hurts your eyes etc). Recently though, we took the decision to remove scoring from our internal "competitions" to try and put the focus back on feedback, and encouragement/problem solving. We still have an external judge, who gives feedback and critique - but no score. Granted the feedback is still very technical - as judges cling to something objective and technical for the sake of consistency rather than just reacting to the image overall ("there's no detail in the shadows" or "the subject is not on a third" and so on) but it's start. I've also delivered a presentation on why you shouldn't pay attention too much to competition feedback and scoring, using data going back years I can demonstrate that there's no consistency at all in what one judge thinks vs another - about the same image.

We've had some fantastic speakers over the years, including Nigel Danson, Alistair Benn, and Christopher Furlong (an actual Getty staff photographer!), a volcanologist, a film production company, and, given our location, we have more than our fair share of astronomers. We also hold demonstrations - I tend to turn up with a bunch of lights and do something creative, and we've also done some pretty left-field things like wet plate photography.

I did chuckle at many of the problems people have quoted on this thread - as I recognise them all - we still have our share of members that don't appear to have shot anything since 1974 but can reminisce for Britain about some technical thing. Others who just don't progress; and the images do tend towards a "norm" (right now they're going through a woodland phase by the looks of it - see if you can spot which image is mine on the front page :p ). This is all fine though - some people just attend for the social interaction (much the same as the reason I go to the Photography show - I rarely visit the stands unless they are people I know). The one thing we rarely talk about is gear - almost all the shots we do can be made with any of the cameras people possess. We don't really care about "awards" (PAGB stuff, RPS stuff and so on). We do talk about technique though, for capture, processing and image management - and my next presentation will be on Lightroom's new weapons-grade masking engine.

Unless you join our club though, I really cannot tell you what it will be like, or whether it will be valuable: as lot of others have said, above, you'll just have to suck it and see. But - there are good clubs out there as well as groups of deluded old men convinced the merit of a photograph lies in the provenance of the lens used to shoot it. :)

not wanting to hijack the thread but I wondered if anyone knew of any photography clubs or groups in Sussex?

Feel I might need to sign up to Facebook. As a nearly 30yo with a new found enjoyment of analogue photography it would be great to meet like minded people and arrange photo walks etc.

I could probably write an essay on this. The photo-club dynamic fascinates me :) I am in a club. I'm on the committee in fact. It's the second one I tried. The first one, was absolutely dire: they spent more time talking about club policy than anything else (remember the Dibley parish council meetings and you won't be far off), and the only images I saw, in the six weeks I attended were basic holiday snaps.
----------
Unless you join our club though, I really cannot tell you what it will be like, or whether it will be valuable: as lot of others have said, above, you'll just have to suck it and see. But - there are good clubs out there as well as groups of deluded old men convinced the merit of a photograph lies in the provenance of the lens used to shoot it. :)

I have never joined a club.

I did look at joining the Holmes Chapel club over 10 years ago as it is very local to where I live. I decided against it because of the exact things you say you no longer do! Back then it came across as all about the kit you were using and the technical views of the "judges". Seems things have changed for the better.

Last edited:
not wanting to hijack the thread but I wondered if anyone knew of any photography clubs or groups in Sussex?

Feel I might need to sign up to Facebook. As a nearly 30yo with a new found enjoyment of analogue photography it would be great to meet like minded people and arrange photo walks etc.
I can’t recommend any as I’m not at that end of the country but you could have a look here http://www.thepagb.org.uk/about/find-a-club/

I live along the coast in Hove, and haven't found a club that would suit me! I know of a number locally (a Google search of "camera club sussex" or "photographic society sussex" should turn up links for you. It did for me, but I know search engines personalise, and what I get for a given search can be different from yours.

The only one I ever attended was one of two that meet (on different days) at the Southwick Community Centre, and that was because I was giving a talk on large format photography. Don't let that mislead though - even this club was mainly digital.

At the moment, it may still be possible to get a taster from virtual meetings.

My lack of enthusiasm comes from not regarding photography as a competitive sport...

Last edited:
----------

I have never joined a club.

I did look at joining the Holmes Chapel club over 10 years ago as it is very local to where I live. I decided against it because of the exact things you say you no longer do! Back then it came across as all about the kit you were using and the technical views of the "judges". Seems things have changed for the better.
Yeah - judges are what they are tbh. That was the subject of my presentation on "dealing with competitions" as I get outraged on other's behalf on the mealy-mouthed comments which ignored the overall impact and beauty of some of the shots - or unfairly promoted mediocre images because they met some technical brief. I have every sympathy for the judge - they have to have some sort of framework for comparing images - but some of the stuff that comes around in the L&CPU portfolio is just comical in it's awfulness. A lot of it doesn't even qualify as photography tbh.

So - I would urge you to give us another chance David - on the whole, we have a good bunch of people who just want to make great photographs. If you'd like to try it out, just let me know and I'll send you the zoom link (we currently meet on Zoom officially every other Thursday, but there's usually an informal chat on the thursdays in between).

I'm having another think about joining the Brighton and Hove photography club, gets some good reviews and is only a hop on the bus ride away from me here.

I'd be interested to learn how you get on.

It's a good question and only you will be able to answer it, in reality. I'd suggest going along to a meeting of both clubs to suss them out. You might find that whilst what you see online is competition-focussed, they are actually more about the social side, but you have to go along to find that out.
i'm not a clubby person, and the one time I tried a camera club, I didn't take to it because they were all about who had the best kit, and a bunch of older white men taking photos of young wannabe female models. Not my cup of tea. But I do realise that many (most?) clubs are not like that.
I think there are plenty on this site who do enjoy clubs and who participate in or judge club competitions, and will vouch for how it can up your game when you participate.
Can you tell me a bit more about the wannabe female models LOL

@the black fox That was a long long time ago; they are probably in their 60's now!

I`m a member of Bromley Camera club, and while it still has the usual comps etc. But there`s a younger generation on the committee now, so it is progressing slowly into the 21st century.
For what it costs pa, I think it`s worth it for the social side of things (we have a bar too). Also the lockdown done us a favour, as we had talks from all over the country, and a couple of international ones, which was pretty cool.

Camera club judges have a set of rules, and an agenda. So don`t be put off by idiotic comments like "come back on a sunny day". Which was actually said about one image, shot in Canada lol

I was thinking about joining my local club. I looked at their website and their photos what members had taken. I wasn't impressed, so I didn't bother joining.

Back