Photography drone DJI Mavic mini question

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m looking at getting my first drone, think the Mavic mini.. do I need a licence for it or anything in the uk? Or can I just fly it?

thanks
Nick

Currently you can fly it as it's under the specified weight for a licence requirement. However, if you add anything to it (like blade protectors) that weighs any more than a gram, it will be illegal to fly without a licence.

You still need to be aware of and stick to the drone code.

Reactions: Sky
Currently you can fly it as it's under the specified weight for a licence requirement. However, if you add anything to it (like blade protectors) that weighs any more than a gram, it will be illegal to fly without a licence.

right okay, and is the licence a online test?
Thanks
Nick

right okay, and is the licence a online test?
Thanks
Nick

There are 2 separate things, the flyer registration and the online test Which is free, And the operator Id Which costs £9. The test is so easy anyone can pass. In fact you can (or at least could) take it without registering or paying anything To try it. My wife passed with full marks and she’s never touched a drone yet alone knows anything about them.

Here is the CAA blurb

“There are two elements to the online system.

Anyone responsible for a drone or unmanned aircraft (including model aircraft) weighing between 250g and 20kg needs to register as an operator. The cost for this is £9 renewable annually.

Anyone flying a drone or unmanned aircraft (including model aircraft) weighing between 250g and 20kg must take and pass an online education package. This is free and renewable every three years.

Both of these requirements become law on 30 November 2019.“

Last edited:
As Tom says ' The test is so easy anyone can pass.' It's worth it IMO as then you'll always have the right answer if anyone questions you about it being legal to fly or not - even the old bill as they are mostly pretty ignorant when it comes to aviation matters.

Last edited:
Whilst doing you test seriously consider spending the extra on a Mavic Air or Mavic Air 2, both have far superior cameras and the ability to shoot in RAW format. The mini only shoots in Jpeg.
Whilst many will say the original air isn't any good because it flies using Wifi connection so does the Mavic mini. I've owned an Air for over 3 years and the results always astound me. I moved to a Mavic 2 pro but won't let my original Air go.

If you want to fly the air or air 2 you will now also need to take the A2CofC on top of the DMARES registration and theory. I’m doing mine, but lots of people probably won’t want the expense and hassle and will stick with the mini so they don’t have to.

Why do you need A2CofC it’s not a requirement to fly a drone for pleasure. Nothing has been said on the web that it’s a requirement ?
If you want to fly the air or air 2 you will now also need to take the A2CofC on top of the DMARES registration and theory. I’m doing mine, but lots of people probably won’t want the expense and hassle and will stick with the mini so they don’t have to.

Why do you need A2CofC it’s not a requirement to fly a drone for pleasure. Nothing has been said on the web that it’s a requirement ?

It absolutely is I’m afraid. Pleasure and commercial will become one and the same in December 2020With the new EASA regulations.

Last edited:
Not true, the A2CofC replaces the PFCO, if you want to fly away from crowds and built up areas you don't need it. I have read and reread the rules and the CAA states clearly that the A2CofC is a replacement for PFCO but there are to be more strict rules for none certificated pilots.
I personally fly in the countryside away from people and most property soI won't need it even with my Mavic 2 pro.

The gvc replaces the pfco in a sense, not the a2cofc, but it doesn’t really because the pfco was only for commercial pilots, the commercial element is now removed any any operator flying within the distances set for each category have to take the required training.
The gvc allows certain drones to 30m of uninvolved people, the a2cofoc 50m.
If you don’t have the a2cofoc or gvc and you fly over or within that distance of an uninvolved person, you are breaking the law.
I very much doubt you can guarantee there is no one within the area at all times, whilst keeping to the 1:1 rule, so the potential to break the law is very high.

At the moment, no c2 drones exist, so all drones are legacy and fall within the a1 or a2 category. Most in the a2, which requires a minimum of the a2cofc.

I agree with what your saying but I always scout out my flight area before taking off. I never fly closer that 50m from buildings and if any people are within my sight then I just don't fly. I hate people in my photographs and also hate them in drone footage unless they consent to be.
the chances of getting caught near someone are so infinite that I won't be worrying.
I may however see how things pan out and do the test purely for my satisfaction not because its law. to be fair I fly so little I would probably just drop the hobby anyway.

I agree the chances of being caught are pretty much non existent unless you are flying around central London, but for the sake of £150 I’d rather have the proper qualifications. I too only fly in remote areas (I live in one!), but if I post pictures on facebook Or something, there is always some do gooder trying to insinuate I’ve broken the law. If I can produce a certificate to show I’m legally allowed to fly, then its worth having for me. At the moment I’m flying a Mavic 2 pro and a Mavic air 2, but I’ll likely upgrade To a c2 drone when they come out to be even more covered by the qualification

Back