Tutorial Photography Guide: Light Trails

As light trails the first works as it has interesting trails in the forum of the bus that was passing but the car doesn't really add to the scene but if I remember from seeing it earlier I'm the week you shot that for the car did you not?

The second works but if I'm honest is not all that interesting of a scene

As light trails the first works as it has interesting trails in the forum of the bus that was passing but the car doesn't really add to the scene but if I remember from seeing it earlier I'm the week you shot that for the car did you not?

The second works but if I'm honest is not all that interesting of a scene

I agree about the second one, but like I said it was my first try.... As far as the car, you either like it or you dont.... I was pretty happy since it was one of my first attempts...But then again I am easily pleased..... :LOL:

In work til 5:30 then travelling on the tube to get there = total darkness this time of year :crying::LOL:

In work til 5:30 then travelling on the tube to get there = total darkness this time of year :crying::LOL:

There always the weekend :) but no I do totally understand that, it's why there are optimum times of the year for photography for some, this is a great time of the year for the best light trails as the blue hour coincides with rush hour however if your stuck in work it's of no use to you :bang:

I was in London on work business but back in Belfast now - might be able to get some trails next week from the roof of my building! :) Thanks for the replies

I was in London on work business but back in Belfast now - might be able to get some trails next week from the roof of my building! :) Thanks for the replies

Ah my bad didn't realised you were only temporally in London :LOL:

I can see what your saying but by how much by? I think I governed it by the join in the pavement as unfortunately the tree line does full to the right, and obviously the bridge is at a curve!

Reactions: Ros
Enough to make the mast on the horizon vertical I think

Yeah your right! I will let u have that one :) its an old pic but I might stick it back up on LR for a looksee

Yeah your right! I will let u have that one :) its an old pic but I might stick it back up on LR for a looksee

Indeed as @damianmkv points out it was the mast that was my point of reference for levelling, without firing up the computer I'd guess its 1-1.5 degrees CCW

View attachment 15098 I would have thought that there are plenty of locations in London the should give good results. I like shots of light trails with a skyline of some sort.

London is literally full to the brim with some cracking locations (y) on that one of yours it's a little bit of a shame about the giant lamppost Forrest though not a lot you can do about that at that location

Where are the good ones in London?

Pretty much pick any of the main landmarks and you cannot really go wrong, but also trying to get into the city can be good

A good group for inspiration is

https://www.flickr.com/groups/londinium/

Also this set by a friend of mine has some cracking light trails from around London

https://www.flickr.com/photos/iainsr/sets/72157627263680606/

And a more general night time set of his

https://www.flickr.com/photos/iainsr/sets/72157625356123825/

Very useful thread - hoping to try some light trail photography for the first time very soon (y)

Thanks Marcus, is should be about the perfect time of year for them right now with the blue hour and rush hour coinciding nicely :D

Inspired by this guide so had a go...pretty impressed for my first attempt - kudos @MWHCVT for some excellent pointers :plus1:

1. J12 M3 Southbound - parked car
IMG_5940 by amaFotho, on Flickr

2. J12, M3 Northbound
IMG_5951 by amaFotho, on Flickr

3. J12, M3 Northbound with police car (?)
IMG_5961 by amaFotho, on Flickr

Some more on my flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/100402040@N05/sets/72157648595245266/

Over all you've done really well there Michael and lucky you getting blues on your first go :) took me a long time to get my first blues and probably 30 evenings to get my ultimate trail that was blues on both sides of the motorway :)

Glad you've found the guide useful :) and enjoyed it look forward to seeing more from you, we are only but weeks from bonfire night so don't forget to check out my fireworks guide too :D

Over all you've done really well there Michael and lucky you getting blues on your first go :) took me a long time to get my first blues and probably 30 evenings to get my ultimate trail that was blues on both sides of the motorway :)

Glad you've found the guide useful :) and enjoyed it look forward to seeing more from you, we are only but weeks from bonfire night so don't forget to check out my fireworks guide too :D
Luck was very much on my side - almost missed them. Any idea how I could have got the blues more pronounced ? I used F/22 30 sec. I guess 10 secs would have been better as that would have been the time taken for it to travel through the frame.

Luck was very much on my side - almost missed them. Any idea how I could have got the blues more pronounced ? I used F/22 30 sec. I guess 10 secs would have been better as that would have been the time taken for it to travel through the frame.

Once it's that dark you don't really need f/22 opening up would have helped as would a shorter exposure so there were less headlight trails taking up the same space..

Sadly blues in the headlight side will never show up as well as blues in the tail light trails will

Back