Tutorial Photography Guide: Light Trails

Cg_Girl said:
Oh thanks for that lol.... now i'll be paranoid!!..

I will shout you tho of course, 2 paranoids better than one haha

4 Sure! I seem to forget about the trolls when I'm with someone! LOL

Fantastic explanation excited to practice this, maybe have a go with Xmas lights then venture to the A14, should be good

I think matt is king of the night trails photography, his pictures are soo good!
He's given me a few pointers!
If you find a good spot on the A14 be sure to share as I'm not too far!
I've been using the New Bedford bypass as there's no street furnishings which helps (y)

Thank you both (y) and remember if ever of you fancy a trip to Warwickshire I can show you some stunning locations (y)

MWHCVT said:
Thank you both (y) and remember if ever of you fancy a trip to Warwickshire I can show you some stunning locations (y)

Tempting ! A master in action ! I was up in warwick not that long ago :( work takes me all over so I will have to take you up on that offer!
The range rover shot is brilliant btw!

Tempting ! A master in action ! I was up in warwick not that long ago :( work takes me all over so I will have to take you up on that offer!
The range rover shot is brilliant btw!

Thanks, glad you like it, that was actually a spur on the moment photo :D

MWHCVT said:
Thanks, glad you like it, that was actually a spur on the moment photo :D

I should really take my camera out with me more often!
Think I'll snap the Christmas lights when there turned on!

Warwickshire is beautiful and not to far so I would certainly be interested! I keep saying I'm going to pop to Leam for shots as I haven't been for a couple of years

Cg_Girl said:
Warwickshire is beautiful and not to far so I would certainly be interested! I keep saying I'm going to pop to Leam for shots as I haven't been for a couple of years

You'd be more than welcome (y)

Hi matt,

Just acquired a 430EX flash, have you used flashes in any of your night time shoots?

brad28 said:
Hi matt,

Just acquired a 430EX flash, have you used flashes in any of your night time shoots?

Not on Light trails and personally I wouldn't as I'd have a concern of dazzling / shocking a car driver :(

MWHCVT said:
Not on Light trails and personally I wouldn't as I'd have a concern of dazzling / shocking a car driver :(

Ok, wasn't necessarily thinking of light trails, more light painting.

Wouldn't want to go anywhere near a car in the dark with the blinding flash!

Ok, wasn't necessarily thinking of light trails, more light painting.

Wouldn't want to go anywhere near a car in the dark with the blinding flash!

I use my 430EX2 a lot on light painting (y)

hello,
inspired by your tutorial here i thought i might try a few light trails shots.. i went to my workplace and went onto second floor and thought i will try from a warm location before venturing out into the wild....
anyway thoughts please.....

IMG_2301 by m0rpheus75, on Flickr

IMG_2300 by m0rpheus75, on Flickr

IMG_2296 by m0rpheus75, on Flickr

there are a few more on my flickr page aswell.

thanks all

I rather like them and I'm pleased to have inspired you to give it a go (y) oviously shooting through glass is never going to give amazing results you only have to look at the sky area :shrug: for the dirt etc that is on the glass to show through, there is also quite a lot of street furniture, which is spoiling them but this can be minimised by changed your position (y) all in all a good start and look forward to seeing what you can get when you get outside (y)

Matt

back again, with an outdoor shots this time, i have had a bit of play with them and done a bit of playing with vibrance and clarity settings but realised i should have put the originals aswell for comparison purposes.. maybe next time.
now some feedback please. many thanks in advance....

IMG_2470 by m0rpheus75, on Flickr

IMG_2471 by m0rpheus75, on Flickr

IMG_2474 by m0rpheus75, on Flickr

IMG_2476 by m0rpheus75, on Flickr

all of these shot in leeds city centre

The first one is spoilt by the railing and on all you need to check your levelling (y) they all look like they need a tiny little bit of CW rotation, also it look like you need to check your front element on your lens a little more often I suspect you had a rain drop or two on it hence the massive lens flares :shrug: but overall a massive improvement :clap:

It just started to rain a little but I decided to start shooting anyway. Didn't work out that it was a rain drop causing the flares! Thanks for feedback. All taken on board for my next attempt

Nice tutorials. I'm always fascinated by light trails around this time of year.

What lenses would you recommend for these photos?

I've used my standard 18-55 in the past but would a 10-20mm be useful?

Also can anyone recommend a good location in/around Sheffield?

Steve_o said:

If the scene fits the 10-20 nicely then yes I would say.
I would say this is definitely a location based question. If your shooting down a narrow motorway with tall trees either side you may have to crop, if you've got more happening around you it will make a nice wide picture. You'll probably end up using closer to 20mm.
I use my 18-135mm canon lens - it's a fantastic all rounder.

Matt - would you agree?

If the scene fits the 10-20 nicely then yes I would say.
I would say this is definitely a location based question. If your shooting down a narrow motorway with tall trees either side you may have to crop, if you've got more happening around you it will make a nice wide picture. You'll probably end up using closer to 20mm.
I use my 18-135mm canon lens - it's a fantastic all rounder.

Matt - would you agree?

I would say a 10-20 would make a really great lens for light trails, most of my light trails are shot as wide as I can go so depending on camera 17mm on crop or 24mm on full frame, that said some locations I'll use my 8mm and that is very effective :D

I've been wondering how to do this for a while. My interest was perked up again by a magazine article in Digital SLR Mag. I haven't had a chance to read the full thread, has anybody don't this in an urban setting with people?

I'm wondering if light trails and people trails work out?

Gazmo1 said:
I've been wondering how to do this for a while. My interest was perked up again by a magazine article in Digital SLR Mag. I haven't had a chance to read the full thread, has anybody don't this in an urban setting with people?

I'm wondering if light trails and people trails work out?

Yeah you can do urban trails (y) I've done quite a few of them with and without people (y) what you have to appreciate is that people will end up as a blur normally ;)

Matt, have you used a light painting tool like the one I received for TPSS?

brad28 said:
Matt, have you used a light painting tool like the one I received for TPSS?

Hi Brad if I'm not mistaken you got a orb tool, I've used them quite a bit but I'd recommend watching Chris's video

[YOUTUBE]E5wEOuSQBpc[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks for posting the video Matt (y)

Inspired by it, I've been and bought some lights, extended the lead and I'm off to try them out.

If, (big if :LOL:) I succeed, I'll post some pics :D

Also the video on making the dome wheel and how to use it is good too (y)

Thanks for posting the video Matt (y)

Inspired by it, I've been and bought some lights, extended the lead and I'm off to try them out.

If, (big if :LOL:) I succeed, I'll post some pics :D

Also the video on making the dome wheel and how to use it is good too (y)

Indeed it is Phil, Chris is an amazing photographer who is well worth following on flickr (y) IMO he ranks up there with Andrew (AndWhyNot) (y)

Well.......not the best orbs, but enjoyable to do. More practise on the spinning technique required :LOL:

Think I could do with another location, I always seem to end up back here :thinking:

It is a lovely night out and not before time :cool:

Any comments to help improve them very welcome (y)

I'd say for a first attempt those are not all that bad, the focus needs a little more work and yeah you need a better location :LOL: but those are better than my first attempt :clap: just a little more practice to make perfect, but you've got the basics sorted :clap:

Thanks Matt, tbh I think I was trying to be a little clever and get some light trails in behind them :wacky::D

I'll be having another go this weekend in the tunnel, so it won't matter what the weathers like. I'll just practise getting the orbs right.......and definitely no lights behind the next ones :LOL:

Phil-D said:
Thanks Matt, tbh I think I was trying to be a little clever and get some light trails in behind them :wacky::D

I'll be having another go this weekend in the tunnel, so it won't matter what the weathers like. I'll just practise getting the orbs right.......and definitely no lights behind the next ones :LOL:

I look forward to seeing the results (y)

Didn't really know where to post this, but seeing as anyone reading probably has an interest in nights and lights :D, poundland are selling off battery operated christmas lights, identical to the ones I bought yesterday for £4 :bang: :LOL:, for 50p :clap:

I've just bought another set of blue, a set of red and a set of multi-coloured :cool:

Just need a push bike wheel now :naughty:

Phil-D said:
Didn't really know where to post this, but seeing as anyone reading probably has an interest in nights and lights :D, poundland are selling off battery operated christmas lights, identical to the ones I bought yesterday for £4 :bang: :LOL:, for 50p :clap:

I've just bought another set of blue, a set of red and a set of multi-coloured :cool:

Thanks, very useful info !

Nice one Phil, I know where I'm off to in the morning ;)

2nd attempt Matt, definitely an improvement on 1st ones :cool:

This one was done with the multi-coloured lights, was hoping the colours my have shown more, but they have sorted blended into just one colour :LOL:

Is there a dedicated thread just for posting photos of orbs?

2nd attempt Matt, definitely an improvement on 1st ones :cool:

This one was done with the multi-coloured lights, was hoping the colours my have shown more, but they have sorted blended into just one colour :LOL:

Is there a dedicated thread just for posting photos of orbs?

Oh yeah I'd say that were spot on (y) there is not a specific thread but I'm considering starting a thread for general light painting questions as sort of Q and A thread if you like (y) rather than a full on guide

what do you use as a focus point? a motorway sign then recompose?

guna head out into the cold soon!!

KieranSLR said:
what do you use as a focus point? a motorway sign then recompose?

guna head out into the cold soon!!

You just need to focus about a 1/3rd into scene, you should be able to use AF on a car headlight, then switch to MF (y)

Back