Photography in the Royal Albert Hall

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Has anyone had experience with taking photos in the Royal Albert Hall during a performance?

I contacted someone on flickr who had some photos of the performance I'm going to see, they said photography wasn't officially allowed - but only people using flash got picked up on.

I'm a little concerned 5dm2, grip and 85mm L II would be pushing my luck..

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
VERY pushing your luck, security will usually check bags on the way in - last time I got a compact in simply because it actually belonged to one of the performers, so through the back door as it were :LOL: On the main door, they were taking big cameras off anyone that tried, although most compacts were well hidden and not removed. this was for the LNotP, so security was, I suspect, particularly officious, but they are very protective of their performances/images.

Once in, they have staff stood in the aisles between the seats and if they see you using a camera, you will be requested to stop - as your contact suggested, having a flash going off is a dead giveaway.

I would suggest leaving the camera at home and enjoying the performance to be honest, far more fun (y)

Edit My Images
Yes
I shot Stephane Grappelli there both before and during a performance many years back - I was commissioned by his promoter but went along a few days before to talk to the manager about it and offered a few prints in exchange. A few conditions were laid down but nothing more than common sense - no flash, shoot only when the sound of my shutter wouldn't be heard, keep out of sight etc.
I did say that I had been asked by the promoter though no proof was asked for.

I doubt this sort of thing would be allowed now but it may be worth asking but I guess a large part of it will depend on who the artist is.

Name
Leigh
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm a little concerned 5dm2, grip and 85mm L II would be pushing my luck..
While they don't search your bags at the Royal Albert Hall (at least they didn't last week when I went to see Dead Can Dance), security do watch the audience during the show and I suspect they'd stop you if they saw a DSLR. As others have mentioned, flash is also a no-no there (not to mention the fact that it's useless from within the audience anyway).

On a more personal note though, I wish people wouldn't shoot during gigs. It's distracting to everyone around you.

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
When I was there for a gig (Tangerine Dream) I was told "no big cameras" by the person that opened the door to the box where my seat was. I had a small bag (no camera in it, I was there to enjoy the performance, not to take pictures) and it wasn't searched.

OP
D
Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
I was thinking of spending the day in London before the performance, but if I go anywhere interesting I'll want my camera with me...

This means I'd have to take with me to the performance, do I risk them confiscating it or turning me away if I did this?

OP
D
Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Turns out I bought tickets for one of the boxes, so it seemed fairly private.

I saw some 'small' dslrs, one person outside looked to have the same setup of me for taking photos of the cosplayers - don't know whether they then planned to enter the performance.

I still had to take at least one photo though.. with my mobile phone :p

Name
Mario
Edit My Images
No
Hello there, can you please tell me which box did you have... I'm going to London soon, and I bought second tier box 68 seats 1 and 2, so I'm wondering what would be view like... thanks

OP
D
Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Hello there, can you please tell me which box did you have... I'm going to London soon, and I bought second tier box 68 seats 1 and 2, so I'm wondering what would be view like... thanks
2T 19
Section: 2nd Tier
Seats No(s): 3, 4

Name
George Spyrou
Edit My Images
Yes
I went in with a gripped 6D and 100mm 2.8l and had no problems

Name
Bat-Frog
Edit My Images
No
I went in with a gripped 6D and 100mm 2.8l and had no problems
Similar here with a gripped 40D for Tim Minchin in what was glaringly obviously a camera bag (not for the show, but for the walking around London beforehand).
Got no bother whatsoever.

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Turns out I bought tickets for one of the boxes, so it seemed fairly private.

I saw some 'small' dslrs, one person outside looked to have the same setup of me for taking photos of the cosplayers - don't know whether they then planned to enter the performance.

I still had to take at least one photo though.. with my mobile phone :p

You went to a Final Fantasy concert? Wth?

Edit My Images
Yes
Nothing to do with the thread, just personal interest: Was this with The Diz Disley Trio?

Steve.
Yup - Diz was a family friend, my father played with him (ooh err missus - no he played violin in a Grappelli style) which is how I got involved - why do you ask..?

Name
And
Edit My Images
No
We were at the Halle in Manchester last night and there were several announcements to say Photography and recording strictly forbidden...

Edit My Images
No
Yup - Diz was a family friend, my father played with him (ooh err missus - no he played violin in a Grappelli style) which is how I got involved - why do you ask..?
I have been a gypsy jazz fan for many years. In the mid to late 70s BBC2 broadcast a Stephane Grappelli and Diz Disley Trio show from The Albert Hall and I remember watching it and being mesmerised by the sound.
I can bluff my way through gypsy jazz guitar but I am in no way proficient.

Steve.

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Looked up Royal Albert Hall photography here as I was there last night. I guess times have changed? There was a big sign outside saying tweet your photos. Saw quite a few people with big cameras too.

London - 2019 - 25 by Good Lux Photos, on Flickr