Photography in the Royal Albert Hall

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Has anyone had experience with taking photos in the Royal Albert Hall during a performance?

I contacted someone on flickr who had some photos of the performance I'm going to see, they said photography wasn't officially allowed - but only people using flash got picked up on.

I'm a little concerned 5dm2, grip and 85mm L II would be pushing my luck..

VERY pushing your luck, security will usually check bags on the way in - last time I got a compact in simply because it actually belonged to one of the performers, so through the back door as it were :LOL: On the main door, they were taking big cameras off anyone that tried, although most compacts were well hidden and not removed. this was for the LNotP, so security was, I suspect, particularly officious, but they are very protective of their performances/images.

Once in, they have staff stood in the aisles between the seats and if they see you using a camera, you will be requested to stop - as your contact suggested, having a flash going off is a dead giveaway.

I would suggest leaving the camera at home and enjoying the performance to be honest, far more fun (y)

I shot Stephane Grappelli there both before and during a performance many years back - I was commissioned by his promoter but went along a few days before to talk to the manager about it and offered a few prints in exchange. A few conditions were laid down but nothing more than common sense - no flash, shoot only when the sound of my shutter wouldn't be heard, keep out of sight etc.
I did say that I had been asked by the promoter though no proof was asked for.

I doubt this sort of thing would be allowed now but it may be worth asking but I guess a large part of it will depend on who the artist is.

I'm a little concerned 5dm2, grip and 85mm L II would be pushing my luck..

While they don't search your bags at the Royal Albert Hall (at least they didn't last week when I went to see Dead Can Dance), security do watch the audience during the show and I suspect they'd stop you if they saw a DSLR. As others have mentioned, flash is also a no-no there (not to mention the fact that it's useless from within the audience anyway).

On a more personal note though, I wish people wouldn't shoot during gigs. It's distracting to everyone around you.

When I was there for a gig (Tangerine Dream) I was told "no big cameras" by the person that opened the door to the box where my seat was. I had a small bag (no camera in it, I was there to enjoy the performance, not to take pictures) and it wasn't searched.

I was thinking of spending the day in London before the performance, but if I go anywhere interesting I'll want my camera with me...

This means I'd have to take with me to the performance, do I risk them confiscating it or turning me away if I did this?

Turns out I bought tickets for one of the boxes, so it seemed fairly private.

I saw some 'small' dslrs, one person outside looked to have the same setup of me for taking photos of the cosplayers - don't know whether they then planned to enter the performance.

I still had to take at least one photo though.. with my mobile phone :p

IMAG0067.jpg

Hello there, can you please tell me which box did you have... I'm going to London soon, and I bought second tier box 68 seats 1 and 2, so I'm wondering what would be view like... thanks

Hello there, can you please tell me which box did you have... I'm going to London soon, and I bought second tier box 68 seats 1 and 2, so I'm wondering what would be view like... thanks

2T 19
Section: 2nd Tier
Seats No(s): 3, 4

I went in with a gripped 6D and 100mm 2.8l and had no problems

I went in with a gripped 6D and 100mm 2.8l and had no problems

Similar here with a gripped 40D for Tim Minchin in what was glaringly obviously a camera bag (not for the show, but for the walking around London beforehand).
Got no bother whatsoever.

Turns out I bought tickets for one of the boxes, so it seemed fairly private.

I saw some 'small' dslrs, one person outside looked to have the same setup of me for taking photos of the cosplayers - don't know whether they then planned to enter the performance.

I still had to take at least one photo though.. with my mobile phone :p

IMAG0067.jpg
You went to a Final Fantasy concert? Wth?

Nothing to do with the thread, just personal interest: Was this with The Diz Disley Trio?

Steve.

Yup - Diz was a family friend, my father played with him (ooh err missus - no he played violin in a Grappelli style) which is how I got involved - why do you ask..?

We were at the Halle in Manchester last night and there were several announcements to say Photography and recording strictly forbidden...

Yup - Diz was a family friend, my father played with him (ooh err missus - no he played violin in a Grappelli style) which is how I got involved - why do you ask..?

I have been a gypsy jazz fan for many years. In the mid to late 70s BBC2 broadcast a Stephane Grappelli and Diz Disley Trio show from The Albert Hall and I remember watching it and being mesmerised by the sound.
I can bluff my way through gypsy jazz guitar but I am in no way proficient.

Steve.

Looked up Royal Albert Hall photography here as I was there last night. I guess times have changed? There was a big sign outside saying tweet your photos. Saw quite a few people with big cameras too.

London - 2019 - 25 by Good Lux Photos, on Flickr

Back