Photography Show 2020 (Film)

Sunny 16 will be doing a live podcast (which will likely be amusing and chaotic) once the show has finished, from 5-7pm on one of the stages.

Sunny 16 will be doing a live podcast (which will likely be amusing and chaotic) once the show has finished, from 5-7pm on one of the stages.

I didn’t know they had a stage this year. Last year they had a table outside Wetherspoons by the front door [emoji23]

ORG_DSC06159.JPG

That’s Stephen Dowling (Kosmo Foto) on the left, John Whitmore (@thedarkshed) next to him, then Rachel and Graeme doing the interview opposite.

That’s Stephen Dowling (Kosmo Foto) on the left, John Whitmore (@thedarkshed) next to him, then Rachel and Graeme doing the interview opposite.

Far more hair there than I was expecting for film photographers...

I'll set 'em up, you knock 'em down...(y)

I've just bought a ticket. Will be going Saturday. See you all there.
I hope they've got enough benches so all us old folk can have a sit down while we eat our packed lunches and drink tea from a thermos flask.

I do worry about you oldies. Won't you need somewhere for an afternoon snooze?

:)
Ooh, good thinking Simon, I wonder if there'll be a 'quiet' area somewhere? Maybe in the sales tent of the new Nikon D6?

Ooh, good thinking Simon, I wonder if there'll be a 'quiet' area somewhere? Maybe in the sales tent of the new Nikon D6?

I"m sure @stevelmx5 will allow you to snuggle up inside a Chroma:sleep:………;Intrepid will likely be kind enough to help out too but you're likely to get lost inside a 10x8 :exit::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I"m sure @stevelmx5 will allow you to snuggle up inside a Chroma:sleep:………;Intrepid will likely be kind enough to help out too but you're likely to get lost inside a 10x8 :exit::LOL::LOL::LOL:
:bat:

:runaway: :LOL: (y)

I'll have you know it's a criminal offence to wilfully kill or injure a badger, or attempt to do so! :p ;)
It just ran out in front of my car, honest officer :naughty:

It looks like we might have a fairly large conglomeration ( I believe the scientific term is a thicket) of filmie types. Looking forward to seeing everyone, shall we arrange a time and place to gather for a natter and a brew with maybe a little camera fondling?

It looks like we might have a fairly large conglomeration ( I believe the scientific term is a thicket) of filmie types. Looking forward to seeing everyone, shall we arrange a time and place to gather for a natter and a brew with maybe a little camera fondling?
Shall we just stop all the messing about and meet in the bar?

I've never been to the Photography Show, is it actually good for bargains? For instance if somebody, lets use @Andysnap as an example, was looking to buy a new bag or tripod, would the show be a good place to buy and how much could he expect to save?

I'm not allowed to buy anything, in fact I'm not even allowed to take my wallet, so not a good place and I'll save the full amount ....:D

I've never been to the Photography Show, is it actually good for bargains? For instance if somebody, lets use @Andysnap as an example, was looking to buy a new bag or tripod, would the show be a good place to buy and how much could he expect to save?

It can be OK, I don't think there are massive bargains but for example Thinktank were offering some good discounts on RRP last year. The big advantage is the range, there is every conceivable bag at every conceivable price. All the big brands are there with their full ranges, it's amazing how much stuff you didn't know you needed until you saw it :)

I thought we were all just going to hang around @stevelmx5 's stand all day, making it look untidy
That will be all the more enjoyable if we're a little squiffy and just the right side of annoyingly rowdy.

That will be all the more enjoyable if we're a little squiffy and just the right side of annoyingly rowdy.
Sounds like fun if you don't want to buy anything, otherwise I'd leave the session until after you've done the haggling for anything you might want to buy; if busy salespeople smell alcohol then they start to think timewaster and give you the bum's rush.

Bright-eyed and keen as a razor, that's the way to get a deal; and don't forget the long silence, making the salesperson speak next if they've turned your last offer down.... maintain eye contact but don't say a word and wait for them to speak again, quite often they'll agree the deal or at least come back with a better counter-offer. Above all else, never be afraid to walk away if necessary... after all, it's your money and you want a good deal for it, and there's always an alternative deal to be done if you look hard enough and don't rush in. Happy hunting everyone. (y) :)

Last edited:
Bright-eyed and keen as a razor, that's the way to get a deal; and don't forget the long silence, making the salesperson speak next if they've turned your last offer down.... maintain eye contact but don't say a word and wait for them to speak again, quite often they'll agree the deal or at least come back with a better counter-offer. Above all else, never be afraid to walk away if necessary... after all, it's your money and you want a good deal for it, and there's always an alternative deal to be done if you look hard enough and don't rush in. Happy hunting everyone. (y) :)

Nah - just get p***ed. :D

I have bought a few things, including a tripod, a camera bag, and various filtery type stuff from SRB. Also photo paper. I generally thought prices were quite good, though of course it's hard to make a comparison once you're there. The advantage was there's a wide range of stuff that you can actually pick up and try. I've definitely rejected a few things I thought of buying, after trying them, which was useful.

There's also the Disabled Photographers' stand, which is a veritable cornucopia of pre-owned gear: cameras, lenses etc of every shape and variety. You need sharp elbows to get to the front, though.

Back