Photography Show 2020 (Film)

OK Mr. B.

As you are the expert I need you to get me the best price on a prettier version of my tatty old shoulder bag

OK Mr. B.

As you are the expert I need you to get me the best price on a prettier version of my tatty old shoulder bag
Unfortunately I won't be going to the show, but If you let me know the budget, size, spec, colour, etc. and I'll have a look around and let you know if I see anything I think might suit. (y)

Just to be clear, you don't need to be disabled to buy from the DPS stand! It's a thing they do to raise money for the society's good works...

I'm starting to think this year's show might get cancelled because of the Covid-19

I was going to go but this Coronavirus has given me pause. [emoji17]

I'm starting to think this year's show might get cancelled because of the Covid-19

Will you be going to work this coming week?
Will you go shopping for food?
Perhaps your partner ( if you have one) will leave your safe microbe safe home on your behalf then return home with the groceries that will have been handled by umpteen people before arriving on your dinner plate.

There is a particularly nasty virus within the population, that is sure but please let’s keep this in perspective.
Life goes on unless we have a cardiac in our sleep!

I'm on a Messenger group with a number of other exhibitors and we've been talking about this today, after the Geneva motor show was cancelled. The difference I can see is that the UK currently isn't at a high risk level, and the majority of visitors to TPS are UK-based. One of the other exhibitors, who will be traveling from USA, contacted the organisers today and received this reply to his question about travelling to the show and the risk of cancellation;

"Can totally understand the concerns, we are constantly checking and following the advice from the World Health Organisation and Public Health England, as well as the local government.

Everyone's safety and security is our priority, and our team, along with The NEC are constantly reviewing measures. The risk to individuals has not changed at this stage in the UK and remains low. Events are therefore going ahead as planned.

As a local market show, we are expecting very minimal impact on our visitor base as well.

Hope this helps for now"

Personally, unless something major happens in the next 2 weeks, I can't see the show being cancelled. With regards to general risk, it's like any other large gathering where traditional flu/viruses can always be transferred due to the large volume of people in a close confined area, wash your hands/use hand gel and cover your nose if you sneeze. It's impossible to account for other people not doing the same, but if everyone takes personal responsibility for their own hygiene it's all we can do. Also, in the grand scheme of things, standard seasonal flu kills way more people every year in the UK than this does, but the media love a good scare story.

Last edited:
The R0 rate of the flu is about 1.4 to 1.6 Covid-19 is 2.4 to some say over 3.

I have never worried about these things before but for some reason this one has got to me. I do need to snap out of it.

Unless something dramatic occurs in the next couple of weeks I can’t see my plans changing.

Just AAMOI The deadliest flu was "Spanish flu" in 1918 and killed 20-50 million people even healthy humans it had a group of three genes which enabled the virus to weaken a victim’s bronchial tubes and lungs and clear the way for bacterial pneumonia..... this latest flu is just like a mild cold in comparison and I'm not worried unless it mutates.

The problem now though is that people travel far more than in 1918 (you were there Brian so you know ;-) ) and there are considerably more of us so the likelihood of a pandemic is greater even if fatalities are less common with this strain.
I'm still going though, we all have to die of something.

The problem now though is that people travel far more than in 1918 (you were there Brian so you know ;-) ) and there are considerably more of us so the likelihood of a pandemic is greater even if fatalities are less common with this strain.
I'm still going though, we all have to die of something.
Don't forget how many troop movements were going on in 1918, usually involving fairly cramped rail carriages, ships, etc. with journey times of several days. So perfect conditions for cross-contamination. Add to that being exhausted and run down, with food shortages in certain countries, lack of fresh citrus fruit for vitamin C, etc. It was a bit bleak towards the end, and just after, the first World War.

Unless they actually cancel the event I'll be there, driving there is far more risky than Covid19. Besides a 14 day enforced holiday sick-leave from work would be welcome ;)

Don't forget how many troop movements were going on in 1918, usually involving fairly cramped rail carriages, ships, etc. with journey times of several days. So perfect conditions for cross-contamination. Add to that being exhausted and run down, with food shortages in certain countries, lack of fresh citrus fruit for vitamin C, etc. It was a bit bleak towards the end, and just after, the first World War.

Well you never know as my grandfather went through WW1 and might have passed some resistant genes (or whatever) to my mother as I've never had the flu..only colds (y)

My grandad made it until 1917 then he was injured and sent home. He was in hospital in the UK then sent home, 3 weeks after he left the hospital was decimated by Spanish flu, a lucky man. ;)

My grandad made it until 1917 then he was injured and sent home. He was in hospital in the UK then sent home, 3 weeks after he left the hospital was decimated by Spanish flu, a lucky man. ;)

Ah Andy my favourite topic talking about WW1 but back to photography as I nearly got banned from my own thread talking about the woes of my F4 o_O:D

I was thinking of coming, but at the moment I'll sit out and see what happens...

I was thinking of coming, but at the moment I'll sit out and see what happens...

Aye, keep an eye on them hagis…..….If they start dropping like flies then PANIC:runaway::LOL::LOL:

Going to hospital on the Saturday. Plans. Smoke.

Have fun folks. :(

That's a shame Ian it looks like it's going to be a fun day, nothing serious I hope?

[emoji22].

GAS treatment by any chance?!! [emoji23]

Joking aside, I hope whatever the reason that all goes ok and that the drs give you a clear bill of health.
Word of warning mindst....GAS is incurable!![emoji51]

Looks like none of us are going to make it to The Photography Show, I've just had notification that the organisers have postponed it until September (no dates as yet). Sorry I won't get to meet everyone in person until later in the year, I'm gutted.

Looks like none of us are going to make it to The Photography Show, I've just had notification that the organisers have postponed it until September (no dates as yet). Sorry I won't get to meet everyone in person until later in the year, I'm gutted.

I had a feeling that might happen.

My train tickets are already bought so I'll have a day in Birmingham and get infected there instead.

:)

That's a shame, although I think it was probably inevitable. Was looking forward to seeing old faces and new.

Back