Photography Show 2022 17th-20th September at the NEC

How are people's recent experiences with show 'deals' for bigger ticket items? If they are available (and I'm not sure as I've never been), am I expecting too much to hope that they'd compare reasonably well with the kind of prices you'd be able to get from the likes of Panamoz/e-infin etc? Specifically, thinking about the likes of the Canon R5.
The costs for exhibitors are extremely high, and profit margins on known brands are very low, so there's no room for 'bargains'. Anything that looks like a bargain is likely to be old stock, a customer return or a discontinued product.

The costs for exhibitors are extremely high, and profit margins on known brands are very low, so there's no room for 'bargains'. Anything that looks like a bargain is likely to be old stock, a customer return or a discontinued product.
Small discounts perhaps... An odd bargain or two if you are very lucky. And a few years ago I did end up buying what I thought was a brand new 24-70mm f4L IS with discount which turned out to be an obvious return. I had to make a special trip next day back to offload it to them for a full refund.

P.S. Here is your £15-20 discount. Drive to Marston Green and walk back a little. No need to feed the NEC

Also parking at Birmingham international might be £9 pre booked. Checked the pre booking last night and it seems right

Especially true with them losing Monday this year and whilst I understand the reasoning behind it and they were never going to please everyone, losing the busiest day of the convention (Professionals wise anyway) and having to pay their staff to be there all day Monday regardless as they need to be there Tuesday anyway, is going to hit the exhibitors hard. Especially as they're not being refunded for the Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be very grateful if somebody can photograph the price lists at the big dealers and post here.

Especially for canon bodies and lenses.

They often double the canon cashback.

Might go Tuesday if it's worth it.

Not my experience but I have not attended for about 3 years or so. I exchanged my 5D2 for a 5D4 at an excellent price 3 years ago with WEX Calumet. It must only be recently that bargains are fewer. I only attend when there is something specific that I wish to buy and check all prices (on-line) before I set out just to ensure that a price offered is really a bargain. The last new camera (18 months ago) was a Sony A6600 but at that time the WEX price was less than one of the grey importers, so I did not bother to Wait for the next Photography Show.

Dave

It’s well worth coming, decent deals and lots of variety on the other stuff like software, printing, accessories etc.

A word of warning for Sony shooters though, many of the Sony lenses are more expensive here than online as they aren’t applying the £100-200 codes plus a show discount so do your homework first.

Cameraworld have the best prices on everything and I’ve always found them to be the nicest people to deal with.

I am hoping that I will be able to touch shiny things on Tuesday :D can't go tomorrow as am reading a lesson in our church.

Like Sirch I thought there was more than last time and I enjoyed a good wander round (several times) plus a nice chat with him. A number of temtations but I did give in to a 3-legged thing L bracket and yet another tripod (Benro). Also some Cinestill films to play with from Analogue Wionderland and some interesting conversations with a number of the smaller exhibitors/vendors. Worth the trip, and a definite for next year.

I saw very inflated prices all-round. A sign of times perhaps.
Any real discounts were all DJI gear. Mini 3 640, Mavic 3 1530. I'm thinking about it as I don't need it any time soon but it could gain in price if I wait.

I saw very inflated prices all-round. A sign of times perhaps.
Any real discounts were all DJI gear. Mini 3 640, Mavic 3 1530. I'm thinking about it as I don't need it any time soon but it could gain in price if I wait.
I'd agree, I didn't think much about some of the prices today. Unless I was just unlucky and only wanted the most expensive items

Film prices were good on the Ilford stand and got some paper at a good price.

Also bought two Exa cameras that I'd been thinking about buying for while from the disabled photographer stall, so got what I wanted and supported a worthy cause.

Typical. Go to a show with the latest and greatest camera gear and buy film and two cameras from the 1950s!

Just got home from France a little after 7 this evening, so unfortunately can't be there. Hope everyone who goes can enjoy the show.

I found it a pleasant experience and there were a fair few people there.

I looked at some of the L mount sigma lenses and they were about 10% off and the various camera shops there were promoting deals and reductions (not sure how great they were).

There was also £300 off some L Mount lenses at the WEX store.

So much to take in and I don't feel like I got the full benefit of attending (as I don't know what half the stuff is, or does, but it was good fun). Once I know a bit more about things and have had another 12 months or so taking pictures I will probably get more out of it next year.

The sessions on editing with Affinity were great but that's a whole side area I've got to still learn about.

I'd go again

I was there today but I always like to see the smaller stands. Disabled photographers had a good selection of interesting kit. I was very enamoured by Solarcan, a kind of pinhole camera for exposure over months to get a trace of the sun's arc changing. It had an interesting take on what to do with the paper without chemistry. MS Hobbies had so.e nice adapted lenses for Sony, Fuji and Leica. The Intellectual property Office have a stand with furniture but do not seem to be manning it, your tax money at work!

How are people's recent experiences with show 'deals' for bigger ticket items? If they are available (and I'm not sure as I've never been), am I expecting too much to hope that they'd compare reasonably well with the kind of prices you'd be able to get from the likes of Panamoz/e-infin etc? Specifically, thinking about the likes of the Canon R5.
Saw body only 3669, there or thereabouts sorry

Popped up earlier and had a look around -- very busy! Played about with an R5, but have to say was left very underwhelmed by the EVF. Moving about moderately quickly and it didn't look very nice to me at all through that. Probably just as well as the prices of them on the stands wasn't anything to write home about. However...I didn't check (as I didn't know to at the time) whether the EVF was set to 60 or 120fps :mad:

Last edited:
Well, after all, I decided not to go. The parking charges (or convoluted train journey) and just maybe a post-Covid hesitancy, coupled with knowing that I'd only buy things I didn't need, made me decide...

I know - a lot of doddering going on. I hope they think it was worth taking all their kit with them!

It was the same on Saturday, I could just about understand taking a P&S type camera maybe but those people lugging big cameras and lenses, and a few with trolley bags, I just could not understand. EG one stand wanted you to snap their QR code to enter a competition: no probs with a phone, but a DSLR with 70-200?

Normally I don't take gear with me but I took my T4 and a lens but only because I decided to work on a lens review at the same time to make use of my time, and I'm grateful it wasn't a huge lens like those guys but to be fair, let them have fun with their huge kit. There are worse ways to live.

I think this is the first year I didn't buy any gear at all. Usually it's a few random accessories and this year I almost went home with the action 3 combo (mainly because of a trade discount) but I talked myself out of it. Almost. I might still email them to put me one aside in store grr

Last edited:
I have to be honest, I did wonder why so many people had taken massive amounts of kit. I just assumed that it was a case of show and tell and a bit of bragging rights, you know, mines bigger and newer than yours lol.

Also so many people walking around glued to phones or vlogging...they will have missed most of it lol

My daughter took a bag full of stuff the other year.
Her rucksack was too small and wanted to make sure the new one would take her gear.
I suspect that isn't the case with the vast majority though.
On the other hand I didn't take any gear and didn't have a bag either.

It was the same on Saturday, I could just about understand taking a P&S type camera maybe but those people lugging big cameras and lenses, and a few with trolley bags, I just could not understand. EG one stand wanted you to snap their QR code to enter a competition: no probs with a phone, but a DSLR with 70-200?
That’s my favourite game to play there. There’s usually a few wandering around with a 100-400 around but my favourite spot one year was a guy with a 500mm f4!

Back