Photography Tuition and Magazine/Books

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Being a new hobby of mine and looking to learn Photography - wanting to do landscapes and motorsport (and anything nice that catches my eye!)

I've invested in:

EOS350D
Canon 75-300 IS USM
Canon EFS 18-85 IS
some filters, some bits and bobs accessories.

Now I need to learn how to use the kit to its full effect! (I need to learn how to manually set up shots, what it all means - I understand basically (but not very well) Aperture, ISO and Shutter speed, but I want practical experience, to see what happens when different settings are used rather than reading - I learn best like that :)

I think I am OK at framing a shot, using rule of 3 and spotting things which will look good.

So, on to my questions...

Does anyone know of any good tuition or courses in the Herts/Bucks/Berks area? (I am in Rickmansworth)

What magazine(s) or books would you recommend which would give me some practical things to try out and see the difference the settings, filters etc make?

Thanks for reading! :)

Ian, get your butt down to the local library and have a good look what's on offer, you'll probably be amazed at the choice. Photography is a popular hobby and they usually have it well covered.

Yes can't go wrong with the library, I’ve read about ten or so books from there (still trying to figure out what they are on about) a vast amount of information from hobby to professional, film to digital and B/W to colour and if they haven’t got it they will order it.

The trouble is I do not learn well from reading, i learn from practical doing. I'd much prefer a class :) not found anything locally yet, will make an effort to look in the new year :)

Joe T said:
Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson - very good book. Recommended by me (and others). :)

seconded.

In my opinion if you only buy one book from which you want to learn more about photography, it should be this one.

Its easy to follow, not a great deal of reading involved and has some excercises to follow to help drive home the "lessons".

I have read it quite a few times now and still refer to it regularly.

Back