Photography waistcoat - ridiculous or not?

Name
Amanda
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

I want to wander round with my camera and a spare lens or two.
I hate carrying stuff so I like the idea of one of those waistcoat thingys with the big pockets. Quick access.
Is it possible to wear one without looking like a fisherman or a dick?
If yes, can anyone recommend one?

PS - I am a girl, if that makes it better or worse?

Best to go and try one on, taking someone you know along for a second opinion. If there are no stockists within reach, maybe a second-hand one from ebay etc (less to lose)? Actually, it sounds cool to me and maybe it's just about confidence. When I'm out using a camera in public I'm so 'focussed' on what I'm doing that I care little about what people think.

Last edited:
Depending on the size of the lenses you want to carry, you might get away with a less bulky waistcoat. A couple of wide primes (or at least not telephotos!) shouldn't make too unsightly bulges.

Personally, if I'm out with the intent of taking some photos, I'm happy carrying a bag over a shoulder but if I'm just out for a walk, I'll slip a baby X Fuji in a pocket - the XF-1 if it's a shirt pocket or the X-20 if I'm wearing a jacket.

A much cheaper and just as good alternative to a pukka photographers' waistcoat can be had for peanuts at a farm store or country fair. They are supposed to be for fisherman or farmers but they are just as useful for camera folk. I paid precisely £4 for mine!

dont do it.

The essence of it is:

Waistcoat = Function > Style.

Will you be shooting somewhere where you care what people think? Perhaps it wouldn't be appropriate at a Wedding, but most outdoorsy things? Why not.

I don't have one personally, but see why they could be useful.

I was at the Olympics back in 2012 (as a spec) and the 'standard' media vests had dedicated lens slots that would suit up to a 70-200 2.8. If it's good enough for an Olympic pro tog...

12_Tiffen_Domke_Olympic_Photographers.jpg

Not my image, sourced from http://www.live-production.tv/syste...ERY/12_Tiffen_Domke_Olympic_Photographers.jpg

One word of warning. If you wear one when you are shooting casually, or not as an accredited photographer, people may think you are a bit pretentious. But to repeat myself, do you care what other people think?

Last edited:
Hello

I want to wander round with my camera and a spare lens or two.
I hate carrying stuff so I like the idea of one of those waistcoat thingys with the big pockets. Quick access.
Is it possible to wear one without looking like a fisherman or a schwingschwong?
If yes, can anyone recommend one?

My recommendation to you is to do away with the problem and just take one lens. It will all work out.

Being particularly conscious of how I look when I go out of the house, regardless of the practicalities, I'd never wear one in a million years. So it's a big NO from me.:cool:

The look nice with a man united shirt underneath and a nikon round yer neck... otherwise .. no not really :)

I wondered the very same thing a couple of days ago. I was out with a couple of friends just wandering the countryside. I can't carry my bag of equipment as I have a neck problem so I have to pull a trolley. I bought a fishermens trolley which carries my bag and tripod etc. My friends did take the pi$$ calling it my granny trolley but water off a ducks back really. Did think a waistcoat thing or something with big pockets would be useful for keeping filters, remote etc. Think my friends will eventually go without me if I get any more ideas:) Still, after an all day trek I didn't end up with severe neck pain.. Win win for me

Well worth it if you're flying and pushing your luck with hand baggage allowance. My 500mm F4 without hood and tripod foot in its bag weighs exactly 5kg, which is exactly what Thomson and Thomas Cook allow. My Domke waistcoat loaded with 2 bodies and other lenses weighs god knows how much, but because I'm wearing it there's nowt they can do. I've had fun and games twice now at check in and they've conceeded ground both times, if I'd not had the waistcoat I'd have been checking my gear as hold luggage. Having said that I can't remember a time I've worn it other than travelling through the airport, bloody things horrible!

Similar story here. I always wear mine for air travel. I don't take as much gear as you, but it allows me to stuff some camera gear into it, phone, kindle, chargers, passports, tickets etc and leave the hand baggage allowance for my camera, lenses, etc.
Until just last week I used a Rohan vest for the past 20 years, however I spotted a Pro Cam-Fils vest in Hong Kong last week (not one of their fishing vests) and as it was a bargain, I invested in a new one. They also make a woman's version.

Don't buy one. Its as big a fashion faux pas as wearing stonewashed jeans with a matching jacket. Get a stylish Billingham or Domke bag.

In which case, if you don't mind looking geeky, Country Innovations do a great range of waistcoats that are perfect for photographers. And their Lady Ventura Waistcoat is on special offer. I'm told the cut is much more comfortable for those with more in-and-out bits than us, mainly spherical, blokes.

Well worth it if you're flying and pushing your luck with hand baggage allowance. My 500mm F4 without hood and tripod foot in its bag weighs exactly 5kg, which is exactly what Thomson and Thomas Cook allow. My Domke waistcoat loaded with 2 bodies and other lenses weighs god knows how much, but because I'm wearing it there's nowt they can do. I've had fun and games twice now at check in and they've conceeded ground both times, if I'd not had the waistcoat I'd have been checking my gear as hold luggage. Having said that I can't remember a time I've worn it other than travelling through the airport, bloody things horrible!

Exactly what I do with my jacket, a Gitzo which sadly they have stopped making. Takes 1 series body and a 70-200 2.8 easily!

Last edited:
My Domke waistcoat loaded with 2 bodies and other lenses weighs god knows how much, but because I'm wearing it there's nowt they can do. I've had fun and games twice now at check in and they've conceeded ground both times

I wear a thin nylon anorak over my 'jacket with many pockets'. No questions at check-in: I look fat rather than loaded!

Have to say, while the vest have their place and uses for pro's at venues and events, for walking around I wouldn't wear a vest any more than I would draw a bit target on my back. To carry my second lens and a flash, i picked up a Lowepro Passport sling, looks ok, plenty of storage for walk-around kit and looks unassuming.

Lots of negative views here - but I have one and find it very useful. If I have a lot to carry, it makes more sense to have it on me than in a bag swinging from my shoulders. If I need it I use it, and don't give a second thought to what anyone else thinks. If it makes my life easier - then I'll go with it.

I recently bought a Paramo Halcon Travel jacket at the NEC photographic show. Lightweight cotton loads of pockets they also do a waistcoat similar material and pockets.

Is it possible to wear one without looking like a fisherman or a schwingschwong?

Afraid not... you'll look like an idiot no matter what....

...you'll still look like an idiot.

Just use a camera bag. You can get some great bags these days... they don't even look like camera bags necessarily. Nice and stealthy.

Back