Photography waistcoat - ridiculous or not?

Jesus, I thought this was a photography forum, not The Clothes Show.

Are people really that precious about their appearance when out taking photos to worry what other people think? Day to day I dress well, I like to buy well tailored clothes and good shoes but I really couldn't care less what people think about my appearance when I am out with a camera for myself, and as long as the client is happy when I am out on a job.

I have the slightly bigger version of that mag and it's Aces.

Are people really that precious about their appearance when out taking photos to worry what other people think?

Hell yes. First impressions count and whether you're rocking up to make corporate headshots or you're breaking into abandoned buildings to shoot a punk band, people are going to judge you by how you look. As someone who primarily makes photographs of people, I want to look the part because in the same way I'm looking at the person in front of my lens, they're looking back at me.

Also, I dislike looking like a dork.

Hell yes. First impressions count and whether you're rocking up to make corporate headshots or you're breaking into abandoned buildings to shoot a punk band, people are going to judge you by how you look. As someone who primarily makes photographs of people, I want to look the part because in the same way I'm looking at the person in front of my lens, they're looking back at me.

Did you miss or just ignore the bit where I said as long as my client was happy?

No. But the thing is - even if I *think* someone's happy, they might have been thinking that I looked like a berk and that's just something I couldn't cope with.

Being a photographer is about having an aesthetic - and if you shoot for money, getting paid for it. Demonstrating a lack of that in what you wear is a no-no for me. But YMMV.

No. But the thing is - even if I *think* someone's happy, they might have been thinking that I looked like a berk and that's just something I couldn't cope with.

Being a photographer is about having an aesthetic - and if you shoot for money, getting paid for it. Demonstrating a lack of that in what you wear is a no-no for me. But YMMV.

Strangely enough my clients judge the results I provide rather than what I wear but YMMV.

Since when was photography a fashion parade for photographers?

Damn, I should never have asked.
I think I'm going to make myself a big flowery waistcoat with massive pockets, just to annoy everyone!!
And why not? Go for it!!

I bought a double strap for my 5D3 and 70D with 24-105 and 50-500 lenses but, when it arrived and I tried it I decided not to use it on an upcoming expedition cruise as I didn't want to look like a poser. But I took it with me anyway. After a couple of hikes and a neck and shoulders that were starting to ache I decided I didn't care what I looked like! Three weeks, a lot of miles later, and no neck or shoulder pains, it was clear that appearances didn't matter...

If you care about your appearance and wan't to promote a proffesional aspect you will take pride in what you wear. Felling good about yourself also creates an air of confidence. If you dress like a bag of potatoes done up with string you will be perceived as one. Like it or not, you will be judged as first impressions count. Ipso facto !

Professionally speaking, it could make all the difference if you were hired or recommended. Your final photographic images are an important consideration and selling point, but it's the whole package that people pay for. People will choose a photographer for a variety of intangible reasons. You choose a restaurant for it's ambiance and not just for the food. Imagine a Chef who said my food is 1st class and award winning, but had a pair of dirty scruffy whites on, looked hungover and hadn't bothered dragging a comb through his / her hair - would you seriously be thinking I bet his / her food is yummy !

A good maxim is to dress for the occasion, if you blend in with the environment and wearing the same as everybody else you're probably fine. If you look around you and you're dressed completely different, you may want to reconsider your apparell

If your happy looking like a sack of, and don't care what people think of you then that's just fine and dandy ! The most important thing is be comfitable and confident in your self whichever guise that takes ! (y)

It really is hard being a photographer looking good and carrying an abundance of gear. Over the years I have tried numerous bags, rucksacks, messenger bags and even the old style Tameron Photographers Vest. It really isn't easy finding the best way of lugging your gear around.

[quote="
Professionally speaking, it could make all the difference if you were hired or recommended. Your final photographic images are an important consideration and selling point, but it's the whole package that people pay for. People will choose a photographer for a variety of intangible reasons. You choose a restaurant for it's ambiance and not just for the food. Imagine a Chef who said my food is 1st class and award winning, but had a pair of dirty scruffy whites on, looked hungover and hadn't bothered dragging a comb through his / her hair - would you seriously be thinking I bet his / her food is yummy !

[/quote]

I think you should leave Marco Pierre White out of this discussion.

Joking aside, this has developed into a discussion about what pro photographers should wear on assignment. Clearly many pro sports photographers do wear waistcoats. Having said that let's also remember what the OP asked. She said she wanted to wander around carrying some kit. Obviously she wasn't talking about a professional assignment.

Last edited:
Damn, I should never have asked.
I think I'm going to make myself a big flowery waistcoat with massive pockets, just to annoy everyone!!

That may well be useful if you try insect photography. I've found butterflies tend to get attracted to bright coloured clothes. ;)

Wear whatever you like, you can make sure that at least one person's happy - yourself!

If you care about your appearance and wan't to promote a proffesional aspect you will take pride in what you wear. Felling good about yourself also creates an air of confidence. If you dress like a bag of potatoes done up with string you will be perceived as one. Like it or not, you will be judged as first impressions count. Ipso facto !

A good maxim is to dress for the occasion, if you blend in with the environment and wearing the same as everybody else you're probably fine. If you look around you and you're dressed completely different, you may want to reconsider your apparell.

Excellent post!

Not sure if it's of any use to the OP as it's listed under 'men's' clothing, but I just bought one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-Pocke..._1_5?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1395603917&sr=1-5 for upcoming Mediterranean, Japan and China trips.

Decent price and plenty of large pockets. Fingers crossed it's as good as the heavily padded jacket I've been using on previous flights to colder climes!

Update: the jacket arrived today and it's better than I expected. Well made and with lots of (very) large pockets. I can get a 70D with mounted lens in both of the lower outer pockets and in several of the less obtrusive ones too. It's going to swallow an awful lot of my gear...

If it's good enough for an Olympic pro tog...

they were universally referred to as the Olympic W*nker Jacket, if that answers that one...

Imagine a Chef who said my food is 1st class and award winning, but had a pair of dirty scruffy whites on, looked hungover and hadn't bothered dragging a comb through his / her hair - would you seriously be thinking I bet his / her food is yummy !

HELL YES!!!!!!! that chef sounds awesome!

Dreadful things. Should be banned. I've got three of them;)

Careful, you'll have the photographic fashion police after you. :eek:

Just my 2p worth. Blokes wearing photo vests usually look like geeks, unless they're surrounded by other photo vest wearing blokes with big white lenses. However chicks in photo vests can actually look quite hot. :naughty:

Are people really that precious about their appearance when out taking photos to worry what other people think?

Yes, if they start avoiding you when you want to melt in to the background, or mingle with people without intimidating them... or you don't want people thinking you're barely one step up from a train spotter.

Last edited:
Yes, if they start avoiding you when you want to melt in to the background, or mingle with people without intimidating them... or you don't want people thinking you're barely one step up from a train spotter.

IMHO I would think it's not the vest that would intimidate them, it's far more likely to be a ruddy great DSLR.

Not sure if it's of any use to the OP as it's listed under 'men's' clothing, but I just bought one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-Pocke..._1_5?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1395603917&sr=1-5 for upcoming Mediterranean, Japan and China trips.

Decent price and plenty of large pockets. Fingers crossed it's as good as the heavily padded jacket I've been using on previous flights to colder climes!

Thanks for the link Ive just ordered it
Looks very practical will be perfect for when im out shooting macro
Hopefully I will be able to do without a camera bag
I'm not bothered about what people think when im crawling around a peat bog chasing dragonflies!

Last edited:
yep, i'm pretty sure by that point the vest may be the last thing they worry about :D

Back