Photoshop CS3 public beta tomorrow (15th)

Cheers for the heads up, saw the public beta was soon, but didnt realise it was this soon. :)

Now the bad news: it won't be posted until tomorrow, December 15, and unlike the public beta of Lightroom, it requires a valid CS2 serial number. That serial number is used to get a beta CS3 license for the installer and if you don't have that, then it is installed as a two-day demo.

From how I read this, if you have a pukka CS2 serial number then it isnt limited to a 2day trial... which is good.

Yes thats what I inferred from the blurb..... 2 day trial if you dont have a serial no.

Wow - 2 whole days to play with software that normally takes a life time to master :D

:(

Aye been hearing the rumours this week and I was hoping it was true. Be nice to have a play. 2 days in a virtual machine is a potential life time :D

Yeah thats easy for you to say, your skilled with CS2, Im still learning the old, while having to start learning the new :D

If you're going to break the license agreement, why naff about with VM's ?

I thought it would stop working after 2 days. If you use a VM you can restore it easily enough.

Camera Raw has really matured. The new version built into CS3 brings a wealth of new features, and (get this) the ability to use the Camera Raw dialog to edit both JPEG and TIFF images, as well as raw images. This changes everything!!!!.

Black-and-White Conversion Control
Not only did Adobe add a better tool for converting from color to black & white, not only did they give you built-in presets, not only did they give you built-in tinting and the ability to leave the dialog box and click-and-drag within an area of your photo that corresponds with the color sliders in the Black-and-White control, bless Adobe’s little pixel-lovin’ heart; they made it an Adjustment Layer. Life just got better.

Auto Align and Auto Blend
Think of the magic that Photomerge uses to put a panorama together: aligning elements within your sections of photos, then blending the colors seamlessly. Now imagine you’re not stitching together a pano, but you have those same controls (and then some). That’s Auto Align (which automatically aligns to related photos), and Auto Blend (which blends color seamlessly). These are some of those tools that look like real magic. Pretty darn brilliant.

I can't wait :woot:

Yes, I'm not disputing that - it's just that if you're going to take the license agreement up the proverbial cornhole, why nark about with VM's when a few choice changes elsewhere will have the same effect.
Of course, if you use VM's as a matter of course anyway, then that would probably be an easier solution.
I am, to a certain extent, playing devils advocate with you Pete ;)

Yes, I'm not disputing that - it's just that if you're going to take the license agreement up the proverbial cornhole, why nark about with VM's when a few choice changes elsewhere will have the same effect.
Of course, if you use VM's as a matter of course anyway, then that would probably be an easier solution.
I am, to a certain extent, playing devils advocate with you Pete ;)

I just figured it was the easiest way :) CS3 Podcast

Whats new for Photographers.

To coincide with the announcement and availability of Photoshop CS3 as a public beta, Martin Evening has released a sample chapter from his forthcoming book: Adobe Photoshop CS3 for Photographers, published by Focal Press.

The new edition of this best selling book should be hitting the streets in Spring of 2007, shortly after the official release of Photoshop CS3.

http://photoshopnews.com/2006/12/14/adobe-photoshop-cs3-at-a-glance/

Does this mean that the CS3 beta version will be available from about 3pm this afternoon,,, our time.........as they are behind us (in more ways than one!!) ;)

Hey youve changed the link!! :eek:

sorry!! no you havent!! ;)

First impressions?

The tool palette has been totally reworked and I dont see any benefit from it.

I really like the "refine edge" feature, I can see that being a big help.

The bar on the left? I wouldn't say its been totally reworked. Its just been changed to 1 column so you have more screen space. Makes perfect sense.

I like the look of the updates, some stuff I might never use, and haven't used in cs2, but none the less I can see the improvements are worth it - bridge 2.0 looks very much like lightroom and I suspect designed as such for its smother integration. and I love the black and white adjustment layer! makes it so much easier!!! looks like camera raw has bits of RSP that adobe bought out...only odd that there is an ACR given lightroom does a much better job...bit confused over that one. are we going to wait until CS4 for the two to come as one?
I know once its out it'll be all people use (as cs2 was before)...the big gripe? how the f* does adobe justify such a huge price tag?

p.s. good for mac users as it can run natively through the intels - apparently its quite fast now. as in very.

any chance of screenshots showing some of these new features from one of you lot? :)

Think about it. People will pay twice as much for a decent lens. You probably spend more time using PS than said lens too. Its just as important.

Some pics of the new features

refined-interface-2

Using the Horsey picture and Radial Blur benchmark, ive found a 22% speed increase switching for CS2 -> CS3 under OSX, this will be mainly down to the fact its now running Natively, rather than under Rosetta.

Using the Horsey picture and Radial Blur benchmark, ive found a 22% speed increase switching for CS2 -> CS3 under OSX, this will be mainly down to the fact its now running Natively, rather than under Rosetta.

Just buy a PC and live in the real "microsoft world"... sad but it works .. mostly

Bootcamp gives me all the "microsoft world" i want... but i find OSX much much much better at pretty much everything. As a recent covert from 10years of Windows Im slowly retiring all my old PCs and replacing them with Macs, ive unfortunately still got 3 decent spec PC that I dont use.

Ok pulled. Installed and... registered... :)
So first impressions:
- Bridge is LOTS faster
- There are many more sliders in CameraRAW. Probably something to do with them buying pixmantix to get lightroom... which CameraRAW now looks a lot like.
- CS3 itself... not a lot different at first sight. Sure the windows are a bit odd, but all the same stuff is still there.

Short first conclusion is that there is not "enough" there to warrant me coughing up £100+ to get CS3 when it eventually appears.
Still time will tell ... I'll have more of a play later.

i think i shall have to ry this when i have a min, looks like it will speed my mac up nicely

This is so much faster on my Macbook... it's gone from taking minutes to start, to taking seconds! :D

Thanks for sharing that Pete - I have to say it's looking very interesting, esp the new camera raw features

Back