Photoshop Died - Is there a cheaper alternative?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
My copy of Photoshop finally died with the latest OSX upgrade. I have Apple Photos with the Markup app which is adequate for most things I do, but is there a good alternative to Photoshop? I occasionally used PS for rudimentary graphics and photo manipulation. For instance, if I had a photograph of a painting that wasn't square I would use PS to stretch the painting square. Is there an App that can do those sort of things?

Thanks

Elements is a cheaper version and does quite a lot, there are also cheats I believe for unlocking hidden functionality.

Another satisfied GIMP user here.

I use Paint.net for most things, but Gimp has a good tool for squaring up pics ...

I don't really understand Gimp but I know if you copy your pic from another app, paste it into Gimp, hit Shift+P for Perspective Tool, you can drag the corners to square it up. Works a treat. I then copy & paste it into Paint.net for cropping/reframing.

I have used Adobe Elements since version 7 now using version 14, Also Premier Elements 14 for video editing

My copy of Photoshop finally died with the latest OSX upgrade. I have Apple Photos with the Markup app which is adequate for most things I do, but is there a good alternative to Photoshop? I occasionally used PS for rudimentary graphics and photo manipulation. For instance, if I had a photograph of a painting that wasn't square I would use PS to stretch the painting square. Is there an App that can do those sort of things?

Thanks
Previously, Gimp needed an extra step before you could run it on a Mac. Which may have put some people off. But now, installing it is easy. And more and more people are using it. And you can create results just as good as Photoshop in Gimp. There are a ton of Gimp YT videos.
Gimp Website

Last edited:
Long time user of Gimp. Go for it

Affinity Photo is the only true competitor for Photoshop, although it's raw developer leaves a bit to be desired.
I use On1 Photo RAW developer, which has layers, allowing you to do many things that you would have needed Photoshop for.
I do most of my processing in On1 and resort to Affinity for more advanced work.

Adobe ensure that Photoshop Elements is much too crippled to be a true competitor to the full PS, which is understandable.
For example you cannot do 16-bit Layers in Elements, which is one thing I find essential for image manipulation.

Last edited:
by sounds of what you need it for, i'd recommend Elements, a one off cost unlike CC and a fair amount of functionality for the less involved stuff. you can always DL a trial and see how you get on before you buy.

ACDsee is a very useful editing and image management tool, which I've used for many years. It's particularly good for batch processing. Well worth a look.

Affinity is actually cheaper to buy than Elements and can do so much more.

I've not used Affinity Photo, but i have designer at work as they wouldn't cough up for illustrator (i had an old stand alone but it failed security checks) for the amount i use it - it seems fairly decent for the price.

Another vote for Affinity Photo. You can ger a free trial for 10 days from first use. There is also an excellent user forum.

If you're considering Affinity, I'd also suggest trying Photoline. It doesn't look as pretty, but it's arguably more powerful (and more mature) than Affinity, and is a similar price. It's been around for a long time and is very well thought of. I'd download trial versions of both and see which you prefer.

Affinity is actually cheaper to buy than Elements and can do so much more.
I think the secret is that Affinity Photo has been recently developed, having been intended from the start to be fully-fledged and not dumbed down like Adobe Elements, and though well out of beta is still being sold at a knock-down price to gain market share and momentum. A good time to buy it, therefore.

Momentum in the marketplace is something that Photoline, though solid and capable, seemingly hasn't managed after quite some time.

Is there an App that can do those sort of things?
Start with Gimp & see how it goes - if you stick with it, it'll still be free!

I gave affinity a shot, used it for a year , and even recommended to others. However, more and more i have problems with autoalign, and working on many images at the same time. Even their support said their autoaligh algorytm is not up to scratch. I am looking now for an alternative.

I find FastStone does nearly everything I need. It's free & easy to learn.

Affinity (y)(y)

I think the secret is that Affinity Photo has been recently developed, having been intended from the start to be fully-fledged and not dumbed down like Adobe Elements, and though well out of beta is still being sold at a knock-down price to gain market share and momentum. A good time to buy it, therefore.
I think it more reflects Adobe's exhorbitant pricing structure.
Just because Photoshop is the market leader, Adobe think they can charge what the market will bear.
Don't forget the monthly rental of CC has already increased from the introductory rate.
Who knows how much it will be in three years time?

I think it more reflects Adobe's exhorbitant pricing structure.
Just because Photoshop is the market leader, Adobe think they can charge what the market will bear.
Don't forget the monthly rental of CC has already increased from the introductory rate.
Who knows how much it will be in three years time?
I guess the price will continue to increase then eventually flatten off. A year or so back, many were Adobe for life. But now that has changed significantly. People are now open to alternatives. Which is good for everyone. And the price.

Last edited:
Question - if I use Lightroom 6 (standalone) for cataloguing photos and initial editing, then if I install "Affinity Photo" will this come up under "Photo" / "Edit in" menu for more detailed editing, Like Photoshop CS6 does now?

Mel

Currently 33% off Affinity Photo today making it a one off £33.99

As a newbie looking for something better than IPhoto that seems a no brainer given I don't want to go down the monthly cost route for something I'd only use a faction of its abilities (photoshop).

Pixelmator or Pixelmator Pro depending on what you actually want to do.

Question - if I use Lightroom 6 (standalone) for cataloguing photos and initial editing, then if I install "Affinity Photo" will this come up under "Photo" / "Edit in" menu for more detailed editing, Like Photoshop CS6 does now?

Mel

Think it appears as a plug in, I recently tried most of the popular raw converter/ editing software and that's how they appeared for me on LR6.

Back