Photoshop licensing

Name
Spencer
Edit My Images
Yes
Photoshop CS4 is around £630 from Adobe....

But you can buy CS3 from Amazon (a market place seller) for £100, and then buy the upgrade from CS3 to CS4 from Adobe for £185 - total £285.

Am I missing something? Or is it likely that the amazon marketplace sellers are selling non genuine software?

Or more likely Amazon 'third party' selling 'English International' version (i.e. US). You can pick up 'English International' version of Adobe CS4 Extended for 450 quid - problem is all the gubbins relating around it such as tech support etc.

Is CS3 genuine software and not an academic or education license?

The couple of links I looked at did not mention that it was the education version, although there was one on there.

Or more likely Amazon 'third party' selling 'English International' version (i.e. US). You can pick up 'English International' version of Adobe CS4 Extended for 450 quid - problem is all the gubbins relating around it such as tech support etc.

That could be it, these are marketplace sellers, so I'm not sure where the law stands on them selling things which are not exactly legit...

I'm not sure they are not legit (as a buyer) as no law supports region enforced software (to my knowledge anyway) hence the reason you get 'code based solutions' such as region locking etc on DVD's/games and refusing to support those who have bought software out of a region (like Adobe does).

However, there is absolutely no problem registering and activating US/International English copies of Adobe Photoshop CS4 in this country.

Photoshop CS4 is around £630 from Adobe....

But you can buy CS3 from Amazon (a market place seller) for £100, and then buy the upgrade from CS3 to CS4 from Adobe for £185 - total £285.

Am I missing something? Or is it likely that the amazon marketplace sellers are selling non genuine software?

alot of the copies of CS3 and CS4 that are floating around from marketplace sellers are pirate copies at that price. Forging a box and DVD insert inst hard or expensive and does allow you to sell for more then a dodgy download from the interent

I'm not sure they are not legit (as a buyer) as no law supports region enforced software (to my knowledge anyway) hence the reason you get 'code based solutions' such as region locking etc on DVD's/games and refusing to support those who have bought software out of a region (like Adobe does).

However, there is absolutely no problem registering and activating US/International English copies of Adobe Photoshop CS4 in this country.

id check the EULA for bits about restricting install to country of origin.. worst case is you may not get technical support from the UK.

Pretty much yeah - you have to 'abide' by the EULA (license agreement) but if you dont abide the EULA then you can buy what you want where you want in terms of the software.

I think Adobe etc come down hard on resellers trying to import into the EU as they get them on trade mark infringement as they normally dont have permission to sell Adobe products in the first place.

alot of the copies of CS3 and CS4 that are floating around from marketplace sellers are pirate copies at that price. Forging a box and DVD insert inst hard or expensive and does allow you to sell for more then a dodgy download from the interent

That's what I thought - but the same sellers seem to be selling CS4 at the "normal" going rate.

I wonder if Amazon have any legal right to ensure the products their marketplace sellers are offering are legitimate?

That vis how I got on the PS trail, except I managed to get a better price on the original software. As long as the CS3 is not an upgrade there is no problem with Adobe. I even recently shifted my licence from PC to Mac for £5.97 for postage of the new disk.

Back