Photoshop newbe..

fraggle101

Not a mermaid
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, i have a folder of plugins and a bunch of different brushes that were given to my by a guy at work, the trouble is i didnt ask how to install them, im off work now and wont be back till late jan.. anyway, where do i put em?? there are so many folders in the program folder!!

Also, i was looking at using the red eye removal tool.. i couldnt find it!! where are these things!!

Is there a course that you can go on to get good at this proggy?? i can do some stuff.. like cloning and sharpening.. well, to a fashion anyway..

Any help would be welcome.. Oh, there is also a whole bunch of different actions too!! where do they go?? and when u want to use em.. how do u find em???

Lol.. i sound like a right :wacky:

One other thing, How do you make a portrait look soft.. dreamy soft but still look as if its in focus?? you know the look i mean, without using a soft filter on the camera..???

Thx guys..

Normally the plug-ins go in the folder named plugins. This is normally a subdirectory of the installed directory. If you are not sure, then the directory is listed in the preferences under File.

Sorry to be vague but I am not using the PC I have photoshop installed on.

I have also noticed that if you upgrade photoshop that the plugin directory changes.

Hope that helps

Lol.. i sound like a right :wacky:
Yeah that's cos you are :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;) ;)(says she who can't work her camera properly :cautious: )

One other thing, How do you make a portrait look soft.. dreamy soft but still look as if its in focus?? you know the look i mean, without using a soft filter on the camera..???
There's a great tutorial in this month's PhotoPlus for that kinda thing.

Create a duplicate layer
(Right click on Layer then Duplicate Layer)

With the new layer selected
On Menu
Filter/Blur/Gaussian Blur

On the layer window slide the Opacity level down to what you like.

If you then want to sharpen small areas use the eraser tool to run out bits of the blurred layer.

There are some really good books on Photoshop - Adobe photoshop CS3 for photographers & How to cheat in photoshop CS3 are my favourites.

How to install brushes:

http://www.photoshop.brushes.btinternet.co.uk/addbrushes.shtml

and plugins:

http://akvis.com/en/photoshop-tips/install-plugins.php

plus the same on the Adobe site

oh and actions:

http://www.panotools.info/mediawiki/index.php?title=How_to_install_actions_in_Photoshop

That is brill many thanks for that.. i need help!! lol..

Normally the plug-ins go in the folder named plugins. This is normally a subdirectory of the installed directory. If you are not sure, then the directory is listed in the preferences under File.

Sorry to be vague but I am not using the PC I have photoshop installed on.

I have also noticed that if you upgrade photoshop that the plugin directory changes.

Hope that helps

Right, i'll have another go, but there are SUB folders in the Plugins folder!! hehe..

Yeah that's cos you are :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;) ;)(says she who can't work her camera properly :cautious: )

There's a great tutorial in this month's PhotoPlus for that kinda thing.

Thats cos ur an idiot... (y) Love ya really... :muted::exit: LOL

Create a duplicate layer
(Right click on Layer then Duplicate Layer)

With the new layer selected
On Menu
Filter/Blur/Gaussian Blur

On the layer window slide the Opacity level down to what you like.

If you then want to sharpen small areas use the eraser tool to run out bits of the blurred layer.

Right, that sounds easy enough!! is that how the pro's do it, or is it an easy way for Llamas like me?? lol...

Thanks guys.. gonna have a good try with this stuff.. Ta..

is that how the pro's do it, or is it an easy way for Llamas like me??
Well, its one way to do it :)

Photoshop often has many ways to achieve almost the same result, although the cognoscenti will all argue for their favourite method. I always try the easy methods first.

Have fun.

Thx for that John..

That is brill many thanks for that.. i need help!! lol..

Right, i'll have another go, but there are SUB folders in the Plugins folder!! hehe..

Thats cos ur an idiot... (y) Love ya really... :muted::exit: LOL

Right, that sounds easy enough!! is that how the pro's do it, or is it an easy way for Llamas like me?? lol...

Thanks guys.. gonna have a good try with this stuff.. Ta..

Each subfolder is a different plug-in that has been installed.

You can add a common plug-in folder by going to Edit>Preferences>Plug-Ins... and in the Preferences dialog add an additional Plug-In folder. Useful when upgrading.

Just another method to soften a portrait.
Duplicate background layer..(shortcut Ctrl+j. Apply filter gaussian blur. Reduce to desired level

Create layer mask for that layer. Ensure the background colour is set to black. Select the brush, and you can paint in the areas you want to remain sharp, such as the eyes teeth etc. Over done it. Simply select foreground colour to white and paint the softness back in.

Right, i think i follow some of that!! lol.. i get what Norwall said, thx for that..

I get SOME of yours Chappers.. i can do the layer thing and then blur, then erase ect, im not sure its a mask or black or white in the background!! lol..

I'll have a look for some idiot guides and get sorted once and for all.. i had probs with dodging and burning too, people were saying fill with grey or 50% grey then do this ect.. i was so lost!! lol.. still am!! but i'll get there..

Thanks guys..

Back