Photoshop on MacBook

Name
Marco
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,
So I'm looking to get a MacBook Pro, I already have an iMac with ps cs5 on it, does the MacBook Pro come with photoshop installed on it already? If not, is cs6 the latest one out? Not sure which one to get photoshop or Lightroom, I have never used Lightroom always used photoshop.

Thanks.

No don't come with photoshop installed. They do come with iPhoto etc, but not photoshop etc.

Have a look on Adobes site and it'll show the latest version of the software available.

Hope this helps...

Not sure what the differences between CS5 and 6 are - do you have the disc - you could install it on your MacBook when you get one and see how things go from there before you think about upgrading or buying lightroom ???

Hi andyred,
I don't have the disc, it was already installed on the iMac when I bought it. If I were to buy photoshop/Lightroom, I'd prob buy it rather than pay monthly.

Hi andyred,
I don't have the disc, it was already installed on the iMac when I bought it. If I were to buy photoshop/Lightroom, I'd prob buy it rather than pay monthly.

Ah, yes I'd definitely agree with a purchase rather than the monthly pay.

Not sure, but do you have the serial number / is there a way of you finding it on your machine - if so, if you could find someone with CS5, I wonder if you could borrow it and would your serial number work with it ???

Depending on what you actually do with the Photoshop you have now, Lightroom may do all that you need. If you do pixel editing, Cloning, Healing, Content Aware Fill or complex layering though, then Lightroom will not do what you want.

I've found I hardly use the main Photoshop program any more, and mainly use the Adobe Camera Raw plugin, which is essentially the same Lightroom editing options. Photoshop does come in handy occasionally though. ;)

Photoshop CS6 is about £660, :eek: Photoshop Elements is £50, depending on what you do with the Photoshop you have now, you may be able to replace CS6 with Elements 13.

With that in mind, it may be more cost effective to get Lightroom and Photoshop Elements, as while Elements has a version of Camera Raw included, it is not the full version as far as I know.

While I'm against the Adobe subscription model, you can get Adobe CC and Lightroom for £8.78/month or £104.86/year. So you could buy Photoshop CC and Lightroom for 6 years, assuming they don't increase the price, for just the cost of CS6. The benefits are you get all the updates, which they seem to be constantly doing so far, but as always though, with their subscription model, the programs stop working when you stop paying. :rolleyes:

As your iMac came with CS5 already installed then you must have bought it second hand as no Macs come with CS anything installed. As such you may well find that you have a pirate copy, especially as you don't have the original disks & serial number.

As above, the subscription model is the one to take if you need the full version of Photoshop rather than Elements and/or Lightroom.

Yes the iMac was second hand and had cs5 already installed on it so unfortunately I don't have the disc. If I have to purchase a new one is prob just stick with cs5 if cs6 is £600! Lol. I'll prob stick with ps instead of LR then as I do all the editing for my photos and do use cloning, healing complex layers etc.

Last edited:
If you don't have the disc or serial number, how will you install it on the MacBook?

If you backup the mac with Time machine, and then allow Migration Assistant to populate the MBP it will transfer all the data that was on your iMac to the MBP, including Photoshop. The only problem is you get a lot of others stuff as well .

I've always had problems with a few apps, including photoshop, using migration assistant. Copies data across ok but some of the nitty gritty held in Library don't come across.

I've always had problems with a few apps, including photoshop, using migration assistant. Copies data across ok but some of the nitty gritty held in Library don't come across.

Have done it on two machines not had a problem. Maybe just lucky

Back