Photoshop Script for Border (with Exif data)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted one similar to the original, with just a white border, exif at the bottom and copyright on the right.
So i downloaded the "EBS - Black-border EXIF-only-outside ICON" script and it just gives me line errors. The default works fine, but I have no idea about scripts or how to edit them and it's a nightmare on notepad trying to find anything.

I will update that script too, some of the older scripts are no longer compatible but the changes dont take too long. Just trying to calculate a correction for the multiline distortion bug

Thanks to Ahab for pointing out the distortion caused by the wide borders, this has now caused me to realise that ALL fixed sized borders distort the picture because they are a different percentage of the size horizontally to vertically and always have done!!

I am now doing the maths to work out a pre bordering conversion factor which will correct this! A bit like NASA sticking glasses on the space telescope but not quite as expensive! I will finish this fix tonight and upload a new version.

The default works fine, but I have no idea about scripts or how to edit them and it's a nightmare on notepad trying to find anything.

Right click the file and open with wordpad (assuming you use windows) It's easier to make sense of the mush in there rather than notepad. When you're happy just save as normal. I try to rename the .lib files to .ori before working on them so that I have the original to refer to if anything goes wrong.

HTH

Cowasaki is there anyway I can use the script on a batch of files if thats makes sense???

I have around 250 pics I want to put the boader on.

I need to look into this, it will be possible eventually!

Well sturs has found a way of batch processing the script which we will bounce around over the next few days and let you all know about and should give everyone this option until I write version 1.2!

Version 1.2 of the script is going to have batch processing built in anyway as part of the script so it should be a little easier to use by then.

Anyway it has been such a pain in the head LITERALLY this distorted images with the differing sized borders bug BUT I have eventually managed to fix it.

I will upload the new version as version 1.1.5 and include the ALPHA test USER DATA.lib file.

If anyone is running version 1.1.4 then YOU ONLY NEED TO REPLACE the files: EXIF Border Lib.lib & Cow_Library.lib

Anyway just packaging them up now.....

New version 1.1.5

• Added the ALPHA test version of USER DATA EDITOR.
  • Corrected bug where images were distorted when using differing sizes on the borders.

Note if you have installed version 1.1.4 you can just replace the files EXIF Border Lib.lib, USER DATA EDITOR TEST.js and Cow_Library.lib

I wanted one similar to the original, with just a white border, exif at the bottom and copyright on the right.
So i downloaded the "EBS - Black-border EXIF-only-outside ICON" script and it just gives me line errors. The default works fine, but I have no idea about scripts or how to edit them and it's a nightmare on notepad trying to find anything.

Now done, you can download any of the examples again they are all version 1.1.5 compatible again

To do batch with Photoshop just use the automate function and have the script called from an action. I often do 500 pics at once.

Cowasaki I think in the mist of posts you asked for testers, as ever just let me know. - PC with CS3 :)

Thanks, I am going to need some testers for the USER DATA EDITOR script. Have you tried using it yet. It only changes the USER NAME and USER COMPANY - Well the released version does, I got a little further before the horrible distortion bug reared its ugly head but that is sorted now and I'm back to the EDITOR :)

Darren,

I have found this which may help because the picture is on a seperate background this is the way to do a script for a drop shadow here
It works I am just having a problem with the direction of the drop shadow.

Keep up the good work. :clap:

Alan

Darren,

I have found this which may help because the picture is on a seperate background this is the way to do a script for a drop shadow here
It works I am just having a problem with the direction of the drop shadow.

Keep up the good work. :clap:

Alan

I have already seen that but it requires someone to create the action. It is possible to do in the script so I will do it that way but the list of stuff is getting a bit long at the moment. My big push now has to be the USER DATA EDITOR then the EBS SCRIPT EDITOR. Once these are done I will be pushing hard for version 1.2 including batch processing and the drop shadow amongst other things.

I have already seen that but it requires someone to create the action. It is possible to do in the script so I will do it that way but the list of stuff is getting a bit long at the moment. My big push now has to be the USER DATA EDITOR then the EBS SCRIPT EDITOR. Once these are done I will be pushing hard for version 1.2 including batch processing and the drop shadow amongst other things.
I just thought it may have helped with the distorted picture and multi line lower border?

New version 1.1.6

• Added the RC2 test version of USER DATA EDITOR.
  • Fixed bug where text in scripts with multiline exif lines went off side of picture
  • Added graphic border
  • >> Variables: AddGraphicBorder, GB_Name & GB_Transparency
  • PREVIEW version of EBS Script Editor.lib
  • BorderColour = NONE stops further borders being constructed

Main Addition is the Graphic Border

var AddGraphicBorder = true;
var GB_Name = FL_UsersPicturesDirectory+"/Border1.png";
var GB_Transparency = 100;

If you set AddGraphicBorder to true then the script looks for the image referred to in the variable GB_Name and copies this to your image setting the transparency from the variable GB_Transparency.

Full instructions for using the graphical border...

Load a normal photo from your camera and run the script "EBS - Default" this will then reduce the size of the picture from 3000+ pixels wide to 800.

Go to image size and check the vertical size which in my case is 563.

Create a new image 800 x 563 and design your border on this.

Save this as Border1.PNG in your picture directory.

You can now add this to any picture by selecting the script "EBS - Border1 with EXIF".

THERE IS AN EXAMPLE "Border1.PNG" FILE IN THE "Cowlib" DIRECTORY.

=======​

If you look in the script "EBS - Border1 with EXIF" you will see the line:

var BorderColour = NONE;

This is very useful when using the graphical borders as it stops the processing of the normal borders but allows you to set a BorderWidth - The BorderWidth variable is used to position the text. Just set the other border width variables to zero.

The other lines referring to the graphical border are:

var AddGraphicBorder = true;
var GB_Name = FL_UsersPicturesDirectory+"/Border1.png";
var GB_Transparency = 100;

The first line is pretty self explanatory and basically turns the graphical border on and off.

The second line refers to the filename of the picture file containing the graphical border which in this case is "Border1.PNG" which is in the users picture directory. You will need to make sure that this file is one which allows transparencies and I am using a PNG.

The third line sets the transparency of the border which in most cases would be 100 ie not transparent.

Hi will this work with lightroom 2.2?

As i cannot find any script menu within lightroom?

Cheers :)

Hi will this work with lightroom 2.2?

As i cannot find any script menu within lightroom?

Cheers :)

No the scripts are specifically for Photoshop although they may work with Elements (which is a cut down version of Photoshop).

Just came across this thread and (after reading all 16 pages) decided to try this for myself.

I don't want to appear a total numptie, but I can't even get past the download stage!

I download the file EXIF BORDER zip. There appears to be four files in the zip - two empty files, MACOSX and Exif Border, together with two file folders with the same names. The extract operation always extracts the two empty files first, then it tells me that there is already file present with the same name so it refuses to extract the other two files. I have tried deleting the empty files prior to unzip, but can't.

I'm using Vista.

Any help appreciated!

Just came across this thread and (after reading all 16 pages) decided to try this for myself.

I don't want to appear a total numptie, but I can't even get past the download stage!

I download the file EXIF BORDER zip. There appears to be four files in the zip - two empty files, MACOSX and Exif Border, together with two file folders with the same names. The extract operation always extracts the two empty files first, then it tells me that there is already file present with the same name so it refuses to extract the other two files. I have tried deleting the empty files prior to unzip, but can't.

I'm using Vista.

Any help appreciated!

Goto this page : http://www.upgradeyourmac.co.uk/Cowasaki/Site/Script_EXIF.html

And click DOWNLOAD and "SAVE AS", save this as EBS on your desktop

Unzip the file and inside this should be a folder called cowlib AND several EBS script files (all filenames starting "EBS -")

Then just follow the instructions.

I have now finished the screen layout for the EBS script editor and it is here, I found it difficult to fit onto one screen whilst keeping it at a screen resolution that everyone will be able to use. This graphic will fit on a 1280x1024 screen.

EBSprealpha2.png

Full sized image here : http://www.upgradeyourmac.co.uk/prerelease/EBSprealpha2_FS.png

Well the current position is this....

Script = version 1.1.6 and no unresolved bugs reported

User Data Editor = at release candidate version 2

EBS Script Editor = PREVIEW version released [ alpha version working and updating first 4 lines of variables from the preview version]

BATCH PROCESSOR = Alpha version complete minus ONE LINE !!!!

The long awaited batch processor is now complete minus one line. When run it brings up the file selector so that you can select a script to batch process, it then asks for an input directory and an output directory. If then loads each picture in turn, ***runs the script***, flattens the image and saves the file to the output directory.

BUT the only missing link is ***runs the script*** so at the moment all it does is copy the pictures from one directory to the other!

I just need to find a way to run the script named in a variable!

ie

var script_to_run = "EBS - Default.js";

run(script_to_run);

Have to go out now so will look when I get home then I will need some beta testers but the batch processor has been the longest outstanding feature and it came to me in the middle of the night :) I actually woke up and had to write it down much to Mrs Cowasaki's annoyance :)

I can run a script using:

//@include "EBS - default.js"

but you would need a separate batch processor script for EVERY script or a case command which would mean editing the batch script every time you created or downloaded a new script neither option is as elegant as this one.

Once I have the EBS script editor working completely I will start a new thread where people can show their borders plus a screen shot of the script editor page so with 2 pictures anyone else can reproduce their border (or 3 if it requires a graphical border).....

Any further ideas to go with version 1.2 let me know but it should be everything above in its finished state including the batch processor all packaged up and I might even include a separate installation script for MacOS, Vista and XP that copies each file to where it needs to be :)

Goto this page : http://www.upgradeyourmac.co.uk/Cowasaki/Site/Script_EXIF.html

And click DOWNLOAD and "SAVE AS", save this as EBS on your desktop

Unzip the file and inside this should be a folder called cowlib AND several EBS script files (all filenames starting "EBS -")

Then just follow the instructions.

Thanks - that didn't work, but managed to work around it and get the files into the right folder.

My first error was number 48 - but I searched and found the following:

Have you put the cowlib folder inside your scripts folder. This error would suggest that it isn't.

I have tested it with MacOS leopard and CS3 plus Vista64 and CS3. Others have tested it with XP and Vista so it should be working.

Sure enough, I'd made the same mistake - fixed that and the script now at least starts to run, but stalls with another message - Error 1233 Expected a reference to an existing file/folder Line 95 -> overlay_file = open(filename ).

:help:

Thanks - that didn't work, but managed to work around it and get the files into the right folder.

My first error was number 48 - but I searched and found the following:

Sure enough, I'd made the same mistake - fixed that and the script now at least starts to run, but stalls with another message - Error 1233 Expected a reference to an existing file/folder Line 95 -> overlay_file = open(filename ).

:help:

inside of the Cowlib folder there are a couple of PNG files copy these to a new folder called "Exif Border" which you need to create inside of your Program Files Directory.

As from version 1.2 installation will be easier as I am writing an installation script :)

Right the batch processor is working !!!

You can download a sneak preview : Batch.zip

Unzip it and place it into your script directory.

When run it will ask for WHICH SCRIPT to batch process, Which directory your pictures are in (non recursive!) and Which directory to place the resulting pictures in.

Thanks to all those that have been looking at Batch processing including Sturs. This however is the way I always wanted to do it so it works on any script and any pictures without having to modify anything else.

Please note I have not been able to test this on anything other than CS3 on a Mac so far. This is straight to BETA version......

Please let me know of any problems and/or working setups etc.....

Need anyone to run this code snippet on Windows computers....

Download : HERE

Basically it is just a few lines that display a message on your screen which states your current operating system and version. I need to know EXACTLY what is displayed on different versions of Windows so that I can make sure that the installer program puts things in the right place for each variant. This will mean that it is a lot easier for people to install the script and use it.

Thanks

Please add replies to the thread EXACTLY as they appear on screen including the correct case, spacing etc

You do not need to actually install the script in your script directory you SHOULD be able to double click it. If that does not work you can right click it and tell it to run with photoshop. If that fails then start photoshop and in the script menu click BROWSE and find it from there. As a last resort you can place it in the scripts directory and delete it afterwards......

Well after some very useful help from "Paul R" on another forum I have managed to crack the installation script now as well.

Yes version 1.2 will install from a script !!!!

It is tested and working on MacOS, Vista and XP and using CS2 and CS3. There is a PRE step on Vista because you have to turn off the security on the script folder before the installer will work but you only ever have to do it once and I will provide VERY easy to follow instructions for that!

Anyway I am hoping for a release date in the next week or so as I want to finish the EBS script editor before the whole lot is released at once....

Thanks everyone for your input.

If there are ANY outstanding problems at the moment please let me know so that they can be sorted before release of version 1.2

Currently aware of:

In Autosave the "ask for filename" option is not implemented
Drop shadow has not been implemented (I will try for version 1.2)
EBS script editor not completed.
In USER DATA editor the screen display is not perfectly in line!

Thanks for your help so far, I am a real noob at this. Managed to get it all working now. Just trying to customise the User data - I opened the user data file using Notepad and made the change but Vista won't let me save the file - I'm getting the usual 'User Data Lib already exists, do you want to replace it?' but selecting Yes gets me 'Cannot create the C:\Program Files [full file path here]... make sure that the path and file name are correct'.

Just to make sure that I am tinkering with the right file here - I opened the User Data Lib file, in the Cowlib folder - I take it this is the right one?

As has been pointed out by others my advice about using notepad was not ideal, Wordpad is better - I use dreamweaver so I did not realise how notepad dealt with such files. Use Wordpad and save it as something else then copy it over if you have problems. You might be suffering from the security within Vista.....

The new version 1.2 will be out soon with an installer but there will still be a first step for Vista owners which I will explain to you now as it might help you anyway.

goto drive C: and navigate to c:\program files (x86)\adobe\adobe photoshop CS3\presets
Select the folder "Scripts" and right click it then select properties
Select the tab "Security" and click [EDIT]
Find "Users (????\Users)" in the top box and click on it
Click on the box under "Allow" next to FULL CONTROL
Click APPLY

VistaSec.jpg

This REMOVES file security from the script directory making it work just like it does on XP !

Just to make sure that I am tinkering with the right file here - I opened the User Data Lib file, in the Cowlib folder - I take it this is the right one?

Yes but have you tried the USER DATA EDITOR program ? This will allow you to edit it without delving into the code and will be the default method from version 1.2 anyway.

As has been pointed out by others my advice about using notepad was not ideal, Wordpad is better - I use dreamweaver so I did not realise how notepad dealt with such files. Use Wordpad and save it as something else then copy it over if you have problems. You might be suffering from the security within Vista.....

The new version 1.2 will be out soon with an installer but there will still be a first step for Vista owners which I will explain to you now as it might help you anyway.

goto drive C: and navigate to c:\program files (x86)\adobe\adobe photoshop CS3\presets
Select the folder "Scripts" and right click it then select properties
Select the tab "Security" and click [EDIT]
Find "Users (????\Users)" in the top box and click on it
Click on the box under "Allow" next to FULL CONTROL
Click APPLY

VistaSec.jpg

This REMOVES file security from the script directory making it work just like it does on XP !

That worked a treat Cowasaki - thanks. Still getting to grips with Vista!

Apologies for asking about things that have been covered previously - I have actually read the whole thread (twice!) but it's so darn long now!

One other quick query - the default script (which is what I'm sticking to for now) resizes the pic to a manageable size - I get that - but it also reduces the view size to 33.33%, which I don't get - I will look back again over the posts about this as I assume it's another thing I can adjust, but I can't figure out why this was deemed as desirable.

That worked a treat Cowasaki - thanks. Still getting to grips with Vista!

Apologies for asking about things that have been covered previously - I have actually read the whole thread (twice!) but it's so darn long now!

One other quick query - the default script (which is what I'm sticking to for now) resizes the pic to a manageable size - I get that - but it also reduces the view size to 33.33%, which I don't get - I will look back again over the posts about this as I assume it's another thing I can adjust, but I can't figure out why this was deemed as desirable.

No the reduction in size to 33% is caused by Photoshop. It is something that annoys me too but I have not even looked at how to fix that yet. I will do though and add it to version 1.2 but I have got a nice surprise for everyone in a few mins too!

ADDED: What I mean is, when you load a large photo into photoshop it displays it at say 25% or 33% so you can see it! When you run the script and it reduces the size to maybe 800x600 from 3500x2500 it is STILL AT 25% so the picture shrinks. This is not actually a fault. But.......

Okay, thanks again, playing with this now. Won't hold you back from your good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back