Phottix odin - questions

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
No
Having found out there are few issues with the d800 and cls, I'm looking into the odin.
I was looking for a more reliable outdoor solution anyway, and this has sped up my search,

A couple of questions....

I currently run 4 sb900s triggered by pop up Flash in a studio environment. I am going to be doing more location work and environmental portraits.

The odin seems the obvious choice, from reading reviews as it has all the basic functions, the main one being control from camera, whether that be TTL or manual.
For location shoots, I'd really only need 2 lights, so thinking the twin odin pack. Giving me full control and choice of TTL or manual.
With the odin setup, I'm presuming I could sell 2 sb900's and buy 2 cheap flash guns, (these are only ever used to light background, or a manual hair light.) and buy to 2 strato receivers to trigger them.

I'd end up with 2 fully remote controlled sb900's for location work and the ability to fire off 2 more guns, controlled only by changing settings on the actual gun.

This would cost about £450 for the triggers, but could swap 2 sb900's for cheap alternatives.

Would any cheap flash do the trick and work in a mixed system with the odin?
Do the strato have to be model specific, so would this work?

Is the pw flex system worth looking into?

I'd like control from the camera, TTL and manual and reliability, with 3 or 4 groups.

From googling the odin for research, it seems an odin2 might be round the corner. Any current users hoping for a new feature to be added, and if so what and why?

Cheers

You seem very focused on wanting to be able to adjusts TTL and Manual settings from the sender unit on camera, and yet you are about to exchange two of your Nikon speedlights for a couple of manual only guns, which means you will be making adjustments to those particular speedlights on their stands, and not via the commander unit.

Yes, I'd like full control of 2 guns, but the other 2 are just lighting a hilite background, I almost feel guilty using sb900s to do that.
Maybe my question should be more about how capable are cheap £50 guns, but wanted to make sure the Odin would happily fire a mixed setup

Hi Bryan, yes read and sent the link with others to Nikon, who are saying they cannot replicate the Issue, and that the problem must be with my specific D800. Slightly annoying.

Definitly looking for a reliable controller for outdoors, so was just weighing up the odin vs the flex system.

The ac3 controller makes the pw system look good, but the ability to use cheap strato recievers with the odin, makes the phottix appeal.
Trying to choose between the two!
The cls is great in doors, but moving to more location work and the d800 issue is why I'm looking at radio.

Last edited:
I was thinking that the only thing an su-800 gives is an expensive way do solve the indoor cls issue, and much much cheaper buying a SG-3IR and dialling in -3 ev on ttl for the onboard flash.
It wouldn't help the outdoor infra red/ line of sight issues, or would it?
I know it's nicer having a physical unit, but a bit pricey.
The odin surely is an exact replica of an su800 but with radio. Ok so I have to buy receivers too but they are not much. Also the odin gives zoom control which the su-800 doesn't.

You are helping me not go down the pw flex route :)

The poppers are attractive, but looking at 4 rx and 1 tx then an su800 as a group controller and were getting close to 4 figures! Especially then worrying about how to fix them to stands and stuff.

I've got radio poppers , they are great, an su800 should work too

The radio poppers seem a somewhat clunky solution nowdays, and the su800 stops working outside very quickly.

I had pw flex when I had canon lol, didn't like them, much prefer cls

The flex's are great on Nikon, but I believe they have a number of issues in the Canon version, none of which exist on the Nikon ones.

The radio poppers seem a somewhat clunky solution nowdays, and the su800 stops working outside very quickly.

Doesn't matter if using RadioPoppers, as it picks up the electrical impulses from the SU800 and transmits it as a radio signal. The receiver takes this signal, and converts it back to an infra red signal.

However, you're quite right, they are clunky. I've had mine since the UK launch, and I haven't used them for possibly two years now. I tend to shoot everything manual. It's just easier, and the light control is absolute.

Hmmmmmmm :thinking: maybe it's time to get shut.

The flex's are great on Nikon, but I believe they have a number of issues in the Canon version, none of which exist on the Nikon ones.

Do you have working experience of them? The one thing I've read which bothers me is this 'having to turn everything on in a specific order for things to work' is usually another way of saying the system often has communication problems. Reminds me a bit of the old scsi hdds, turn it all on and hope for the best :)

I'd love to go with the pw flex, cos the ac3 controller and the physical dials is so attractive. But would go with the odin to save a few quid if reliability is also better.

Do you have working experience of them? The one thing I've read which bothers me is this 'having to turn everything on in a specific order for things to work' is usually another way of saying the system often has communication problems. Reminds me a bit of the old scsi hdds, turn it all on and hope for the best :)

I'd love to go with the pw flex, cos the ac3 controller and the physical dials is so attractive. But would go with the odin to save a few quid if reliability is also better.

I use the flexs which I bought over the odins for a couple of reasons - I like being able to use ttl pass through to a on camera flash if I need to. I also love the ac3, and finally there was very little between them price wise.

I've not had any reliability issues with them. The manual suggest a top down switch on of components which isn't a big hassle, though I can't always say I do and it doesn't cause isssues.

Cheers for that Hugh, I'm assuming there's only been one release of the flex for Nikon? Just some of the eBay ads say 'New flex...'

The pw do seem a bit more expensive than the phottix at the moment, will keep my eyes open and not rush it, im sure they did a cash back not long ago, maybe a new odin might be out soon too.

I know someone who swears by the odins(zoom control would be cool) I love my radio poppers, don't find then clunky :), heard that pw's on Nikon can be inconsistent in ettl mode , also using a sb900 as commander will cure your problem too

I know someone who swears by the odins(zoom control would be cool) I love my radio poppers, don't find then clunky :), heard that pw's on Nikon can be inconsistent in ettl mode , also using a sb900 as commander will cure your problem too

£300+ to cure nikons problem lol, the 9.99 ir plate works too.
Neither give me radio for outdoors though.

I think it boils down to which I'd prefer, the advantage of the ac3 controller or the zoom control and price of the odin.
I was trying to check if reliability and use on cheaper guns and mixing them up was an issue with either setup, more specifically the odin in this thread.

Back