Pic(s) you took today - an open thread

Question for you : Is this a leather watch cover from the war?
No - it is the case for a WW1 pocket sextant - used by the artillery to measure the horizontal angular displacement from an observed shell-fall to the desired target, rather than "shooting the sun" to determine position at sea as the navy would use it.

Pocket Sextant by John Liddle, on Flickr

So I set out today with the weekly theme of "weather" in mind for the 52 in 2024.

I looked back down the road and realised that walking too far may not be a good option today.
0002 25 05 24.jpg

Three weather scenes from the trip out plus a couple of bird shots, all at the local cemetery and a nearby road.

0005 25 05 24.jpg
0008 25 05 24.jpg
014 25 05 24.jpg
0016 25 05 24.jpg
0014 25 05 24.jpg

Hi, a sunny day :

P5273863-c.jpg

I brought my E-430 to BOSCH to have corroded brake lines and gear box cooling pipes replaced. But after beginning they phoned me and told me that extensive work
would be necessary costing more than the car's worth. So, this will be the end of my dear Merc. I shall drive it until I get another car, and then it will be scrapped ... --- :

P5273857-c.jpg

How do I keep the Jackdaws off my bird feeders? - there are about 5 of them that fly in and dive bomb everything - we have a bird table and another 5 similar to this around the garden - all gone in 10 minutes - I've put wire like this around all the feeders, but they still get through

tried everything - apparently it's illegal to shoot them in the UK, but not in Scotland

they just dive bomb this and knock all the seeds on the ground

Leica M8, by the way

TP_Bird_feeder.jpg

Hi, a sunny day :

View attachment 424142

I brought my E-430 to BOSCH to have corroded brake lines and gear box cooling pipes replaced. But after beginning they phoned me and told me that extensive work
would be necessary costing more than the car's worth. So, this will be the end of my dear Merc. I shall drive it until I get another car, and then it will be scrapped ... --- :

View attachment 424141
(I spend a bit more keeping my car going than I should, bit it is cheaper than another car that might even have similar problems down the line !).

Evening all, joined the forum today so thought I should post something up - which also lead to me signing up to Flikr and hopefully posting a working link...it's all happening!! This was on the wildlife walk at Centre Parcs early this morning.

Hopefully this will be the start of me stopping reaching for my cameraphone all the time and learning to use a DSLR properly... though this is taken using the landscape setting with a quick Lightroom edit

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/200772031@N04/53750096657/in/dateposted-public/

Hi, a sunny day :

View attachment 424142

View attachment 424141
About ten years ago I did the same thing with a 2ltr Mondeo Si …
and still bitterly regret my decision

About ten years ago I did the same thing with a 2ltr Mondeo Si …
and still bitterly regret my decision

Hi, this is very difficult for me. I have had the car for over 20 years, and I was - and am - quite happy with it.

I am disappointed with MERCEDES quality and service. The car was serviced by them, and they should have seen the rust problems coming,
and warned me to take steps.

MERCEDES seem to be more for business owners, leasing the car for 2 or 4 years, and getting a new one then. ---

I still own a 34-year-old S-class, which has a better quality.. I will keep it as long as possible.

But I will not buy any MERCEDES to replace the E-430 ... ---

Hi, the squirrel came again today :

DSC_0287-D5002-c.jpg

DSC_0290-D5002-c.jpg

Checking for my dog :

DSC_0326-d5002-c.jpg

Eating happily, my dog was not to be seen :

DSC_0336-d5002-c.jpg

Leaving after 10 minutes :

DSC_0360-d5002-c.jpg

My dear old E-430 returned home after palliative care at BOSCH. They said it should last another 6 months, which gives me enough time to order a new car.

I should call it MORITURUS, perhaps :

DSC07578-a7-5-c.jpg

I found three orchids on Monday. This was the best of them....

DSC_3603.JPG

Apparently it is a Common Spotted Orchid.

Back