Pic(s) you took today - an open thread

My first prints for years ! These are photos of photos using a old battered low grade smart phone but quality of the print is quite good. Being of an age where I used to get my holiday prints back from film cameras as a kid I've decided to get some physical prints from now on. These were selected for various reasons .

Some of our dogs from over the past 10 years, from top left to right then down a row.

My 5 Working Cocker Spaniels in transit ( only short journeys for walkies) I only have two of these left, The Chocolate one and the Light colored one
The next three are Hettie who we sadly lost early last year.
The centre one is Feebie , we still have her at 6 years old
The next 4 are Clemmie she is a working Springer Spaniel and she is intolerant to Beef and Lamb she is just over a year old.

This top collage are all digital photos but from a mix of cameras
PRINT1.jpg

These are all photos from near to my home.

First two are photos from my trial of a 110 film camera ( My first ever shots with 110 the camera was given to me by someone on here) The camera was fixed everything so because conditions where generally too dark I had to get the developers to add two stops in processing. Because of the crop factor in using such small film I found I had to stand in the next county to get some of them. By far my favorite film format ! They are both from the nearby village of Highley
The third one is a Church in Kinlet this was chosen to see how Black and white looked on these prints
Forth in from a walk in the nearby Wyre Forest is digital but with a retro edit ( again a test of how it looks in printed form)
Fifth a converted Water tower towards the Brown Clee Hill
Six my grandson standing in the floods at Highley
Severn a camp I found hidden well away from the paths in the Wyre Forest With my beautiful self for that old time Gold prospector look
Eight The Golf Ball on top of Titterstone Clee , another dog walking area
Nine A couple of friend on their horses in the Village.
PRINT2.jpg

Common Redstart and another Common Hawker in-flight.......unsure about the Hawker, I'm not a fan of black backgrounds but it made hitting focus easier :)Common Redstart 1024.jpg

Common Hawker 1024.jpg

Another of my bird planted Sunflower! It now has 7 heads in full flower with some more on the way.
I always thought it was one head per plant, I've got a dozen growing and one of those is also a 7 header.

I think that some of the proprietary f1 hybrid cultivars are single headed but the more natural ones bear multiple heads (although thinning the heads down to a single will usually give you a bigger head [flower!]) Not sure about the commercially grown ones - but I'd guess that they're after a high yield from an easy-to-pick crop so may well be single headers.

I think that some of the proprietary f1 hybrid cultivars are single headed but the more natural ones bear multiple heads (although thinning the heads down to a single will usually give you a bigger head [flower!]) Not sure about the commercially grown ones - but I'd guess that they're after a high yield from an easy-to-pick crop so may well be single headers.
Curiously, I bought a few seeds, these grew to about 4 feet with a single flower, about 3 inches across.
Then I learned how to cultivate the bird seeds, ( they aren't all viable) these all grew to about 7 feet with about 6 inch flowers.
Its one of these of about a dozen, that have 7 heads , the top one about 6 inches across, the others are all 4-5 inches.

Last edited:
(As I'm sure you know,) A Sun"flower" is actually a large collection of tiny individual flowers in a large head. Look at one closely and you can see the individual flowers - quite beautiful in their own right but not as impressive as the whole inflorescence.

(As I'm sure you know,) A Sun"flower" is actually a large collection of tiny individual flowers in a large head. Look at one closely and you can see the individual flowers - quite beautiful in their own right but not as impressive as the whole inflorescence.
I'd not thought about it, until I started growing them this year , and yes It's pretty obvious (y)

Last edited:
I saw the above Sunflower out of the upstairs window and thought I'll take a shot of that. On the way out I saw this ( I tend to be drawn to bright colours) and had to take a shot with my point and press. This was a little project I had done earlier in the day making the bike safe for my Grandson to use ( His step dad although a nice guy is not the best with practical things) It required a new brake cable, brakes adjusting in many ways , Brake levers moving ,tyres pumped up and a general lube and rust prevention. I find messing with bicycles and motorbikes very therapeutic .

BIKE.JPG

Back