Pic(s) you took today - an open thread

Love fire images Wayne !
Thanks mate. :)
View attachment 421106

View attachment 421107

Done up like a Kipper ! I didn't realize at the time but I think the boat above is connected to the fish smokers.
View attachment 421113

View attachment 421108

Sun Glasses required

View attachment 421114
I've wanted to go to Whitby/ Gothland area for years (fan of the old Heartbeat tv series) But everytime I try life throws up a curve and I end up not being able to go. Maybe I'll get lucky this year.

I'm going for "The Pink Door" today

TP_Pink_Door.jpg

If you have a DSLR, there are quiet a few MF lens that are good for close up - normally you have time to manual focus and in any case MF is usually better than AF is because you can hit your subject better
Hi BillN, Being relatively new to photography, I only have the Panasonic G5 MFT, which I got at the end of September 2023, and I use either a set of cheap screw on diopters or use a vintage Pentax 50mm FF (manual) lens with extension tubes, this image is quite bad (even for me) think I used to many tubes and made it hard for myself to keep still enough to get a decent image, just mad because it was the first time I have ever seen flies mating lol.

Hi BillN, Being relatively new to photography, I only have the Panasonic G5 MFT, which I got at the end of September 2023, and I use either a set of cheap screw on diopters or use a vintage Pentax 50mm FF (manual) lens with extension tubes, this image is quite bad (even for me) think I used to many tubes and made it hard for myself to keep still enough to get a decent image, just mad because it was the first time I have ever seen flies mating lol.
With the right lens your Panasonic will be perfect for close up shots -I had a Panasonic G1 and I bought a cheap adapter to use old Nikon MF lens - a very, very good macro lens from Nikon is an ai Nikkor 55mm f3.5, (Nikon Ai Micro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 MF Macro Lens) - they are about £50 to £100 on eBay - if you can, always use a tripod for close ups and if you have good light you can use a high f stop - plus the better the light the better the image.

Here's a shot with the 55mm - 1/80sec @ f8 on a tripod

the image is a bit "in your face" - but that's a very small bug

TP_bug.jpg

Last edited:
OH the one time I wish I had a proper macro lens and better photography skill lol.

View attachment 421159
View attachment 421160

You can't get all of them!
I haven't met anyone who gets every shot they take perfect, and I'm sure one of Murphy's laws will sate that it is the ones you want most that don't :)

You have posted some great shots on here, keep going and try different things.
It is quite hard to get good close ups hand held, and the closer you get, the harder it gets.

Most of what I think are the good ones I get are with the 45-150 lens with a screw on close up lens on it, simply because although I enjoy it, it is not a major interest, and I can't be bothered to get a tripod etc out. I'm happy with what I get, but it's never going to be the amazing shots that people who have made it their speciality get.

You get out what you put in, like most things, I don't ant to put more into one small aspect of my hobby, at the expense of other aspects, so I accept what I get :)

Just out of interest, this is after a quick edit in Affinity
View attachment 421208

Not exactly a work of art, but quite a bit of improvement

I only have free editing software, so a lot of options are not available on them, this was done with PhotoscapeX, I also have Silkypics developer studio 8 which is free for Panasonic users lol, proper tight wad here, if in the future I can afford the extra monthly cost (I know it is not a lot, but it is when you have nothing lmao) I may look at Affinity or Lightroom. At the moment G.A.S is killing me, I want to try so much stuff lol.

PS, I just re-read your post, after I realised that you had used Affinity for a quick edit, and you where not asking if I had used it lol, my brain is slow sometimes.

Last edited:
Back