Picked up a Bronica - some advice on a lightmeter

LJR

Name
Lloyd
Edit My Images
No
I've just picked up a Bronica ETR-SI camera. I've never used a medium format camera and I've never shot film. Clearly I am going to need a lightmeter and so I was wondering if this would suffice: http://www.sekonic.com/products/Sekonic L-208 TWINMATE.asp

I don't particularly want to spend the earth but it's got to be good enough for the job. Would this be a bit lacking?

Also what does the 33-deg acceptance angle in reflected mode actually mean?

Can't wait to use it!

Why not use your D300 to meter with, then transfer the settings to the bronny?

Why not use your D300 to meter with, then transfer the settings to the bronny?
Definitely an option but if a £69 meter can do the job 'well' then I'd happily plump for that and carry less when going out and about with the Bronica.

Definitely an option but if a £69 meter can do the job 'well' then I'd happily plump for that and carry less when going out and about with the Bronica.

You can get a S/H Weston cheaper than that......no batteries and excellent except for low light. If you get one with the invercone it will measure light falling on the subject as well as using the meter for reflective light off the subject.

Llyod, I have a small little sekonic handheld light meter that came with the Rolleiflex. The Rollei is long gone, and the light meter just sits in the cupboard. You are welcome to it, if you want to have some practise.

I had a ETRS many years ago with the AE11 finder on it rather than the WLF. May be worth looking at the price of these. The one I had was accurate and I found it a lot easier to user the camera with that than the standard finder.

Can't wait to use it!

In camera terms I guess you could liken it to centre weighted.

See diagram >
lightacceptanceangle.gif

It's the angle-of-view of the light meter when you take off the lumisphere which normally covers the measuring diode.

With the lumisphere on, the meter is in incient mode, gathering light from everywhere to tell you how much light is falling on the subject.

Remove it, and the meter is in reflected mode - allowing you to measure, say, the light reflected off 18% grey card, or the brightest or darkest things in the scene to help you work out the tonal range.

Knowing the acceptance angle means you can work out how close you need to get to the thing you're measuring to prevent measuring other things around it too.

Hi,

LJR, I am in the same boat as yourself, I recently picked up a Bronica SQ-A and then realised that I would need a meter. I ended up just getting a Weston meter out of ebay.

I just need to learn how to use it properly, which is part of the fun I feel.

LRS.

I needed something small and "new" reliable, nothing fancy, so I bought a 208 about 6 months ago, it was on spesh at Curry's @ £59.
Its cheap and plastic mechanical meter, made of nothing but does exactly the same thing as an old Weston Master without the build quality.
Its not bad for £60, if I was to spend a bit more on 20th century tech I'd get a digi 6....:)

Thanks for the replies everyone! Chivas and Musicman - that's clarified it nicely for me. Thanks!

ujjwaldey8165 - very kind offer! I'll PM you.

Well I took my RB67 with two lenses out for a ride yesterday (yes on a cycle with a back pack) and just slipped my smallest camera, an OM10, into a side pocket and didn't notice the extra weight....and it can be cheaper getting a film camera than exposure meter, so I used the OM10 for exposure readings, also backup, and used it to take some shots.
I was using pro colour neg 120 film I'd bought 10 years old and just couldn't throw it away, but I'd be surprised if I don't get a colour cast.

Back