Pics of my little girl

Hi FF.

Honestly they're just snapshots so it's really difficult to offer you any critique on these.

She's a bonny young girl so get her off the sofa, into some nice fields wearing something neutral (blue here is too loud IMO) and see what you can come up with. The possibilities really are endless!

I'm very much an amateur and so don't feel that I can critique these very well but would say that in 1 you have got good eye contact with your daughter but the pose (laying on the sofa) is not very photogenic. Also watch out for distractions in the photo, like the corner of the cushion in this case.
The second photo is a nice interaction between your daughter and (i assume) your dog. The dog is a very prominent in the picture and again the cushions in the background are a distraction.

Keep going and taking lots of photos, I started getting into photography when I had my first child and brought a DSLR to try and get some nice shots of him and the best way to learn is just to keep taking photos. I have never dressed any of my kids up and taken them to a field (not that there is anything wrong with that if it's what you want) but just take shots around the house/when we are out. Learning about seeing the way that light falls has been my biggest improvement over the years.

What lens or lenses do you have, not that you necessarily need to but I found getting a cheap prime lens and being able to use apertures at f1.8-2.8 to be a big help in making backgrounds more out of focus to take some of the distractions of being around a house out of the shots.

If you post pictures in the sharing and critique section, you will get more critique.
This section is for discussion, and as such, people will be reluctant to offer critique.
As you asked, I would agree with Adam above, and say get out more, keep using your camera, so you, (and your very pretty daughter) get used to it.
Finally, the comment above about using a wide aperture (small number) only applies if there is sufficient separation between the subject and the background.
But try it, try and make mistakes, and as long as you learn from those mistakes, you'll be well on your way.
But don't forget to post in the critique section, as you will get more useful advice in there.
Oh, and enjoy your learning process !!

If you post pictures in the sharing and critique section, you will get more critique.
This section is for discussion, and as such, people will be reluctant to offer critique.

Or you could get it moved. ;)

Back