Picture colour profiles in camera.

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
With most camera you get the option of standard, vivid, portrait etc to apply to the jpeg files.
When processing raw files in Photoshop elements with my old Nikon I could choose these with my Panasonic they don't appear.
But what do these adjustments do so I can replicate them? Is it a case of different amounts of say saturation etc?

In order to render a Raw file it is necessary to know how to convert the data into a colour. Different model cameras produce different colours for the same data so requires a different profile. The profile can be selected in-camera for JPEG but in the Raw converter for Raw. Typically Adobe offer Adobe standard, Camera Standard, faithful, portrait and landscape etc. If you do not want any special effect it is generally best to use Camera Standard (according to Canon). Landscape gives exaggerated blues and greens and faithful is intended for those who fiddle with the individual sliders in the camera calibration section. The fact is not only is there variation between camera models but also individual cameras.

I have produced calibrated profiles using an X-Rite Color Checker passport for each of my cameras. I use LR Classic which recognises the camera serial number on importing and tags the file with the relevant profile. So my Raw files are automatically rendered using the correct bespoke profile. It makes a big difference if colour accuracy is important (e.g. product photographer, fashion photographer or high end wedding photographer). Personally, it is not essential for me to achieve this accuracy but I do know some photographers who benefit (e.g. wedding photographer using two camera bodies). When viewers cannot see the original colour they may not notice small differences but if the colours changes from frame to frame as may occur if swapping between cameras, differences can be very obvious.

Dave

Yes, they are adjustments to things like saturation, contrast, sharpening.

I'm assuming PSE is using the standard ACR interface... if so, you can create your own profiles. Basically, you make your edits and then go to the presets tab. But instead of saving it as a new preset, hold the alt key which changes the "new preset" button into "new profile." The only real difference in this case is that applying a preset moves the sliders around in the interface but applying a profile doesn't.

You can also buy camera profiles from places on the net (i.e. colorfidelity.com).

Is your software and camera raw software up to date, if you have a new camera profiles might not have been done yet or you require an update.

Back