Picture on Lancaster bomber...Real or fake?

LOL - atleast it wasnt a Heinkel ;)

There is some credibitly to it being a genuine image. My colleague lives near to where this is captured, he spotted it doing a trawl for his house. The fact is The City of Lincoln makes quite a few passes over this area.

The main reason being the Pathfinders (Mosquitoes and Lancasters) were based nearby and This Lancaster makes many appearances for passing-out parades and regular tributes to the associated squadrons. Duxford is nearby too so comes South from Coningsby to these other locations.

I don't see how it couldn't be genuine since it's on a satellite image, but the lack of a shadow is weird. If you look at heathrow, you can see a jet coming in to land on the topmost runway (from the left) and it has a very distinct shadow.

p.s. rofl @ Matt!

Hmm, angle of sun, altitude of sun, altitude of aircraft. You're gonna get a shadow close to the aircraft if its altitude is 100' - if it 3000' it will be further away :(

What difference does it make if it's a satellite image ? :shrug:

You ought to take a look at the satellite imagery of the Iraq, Afghanistan 'incidents'.

Have a look, too, at the Portsmouth harbour and the Sealink terminal at Gun Wharf, Southsea. Quite outstanding imagery and technology.

Of course there was a shadow :p It's just that the Google photos used don't show it. The plane and its shadow are moving and are just as likely to be shown more than once than not at all. In this case, the piece of land on which one would expect to see the shadow is on a different photograph to the one showing the aircraft itself. And, as such, was taken at a different time (a matter of seconds.)

Look at the northernmost LHR runway and you will see four images of the same aircraft - two just before touchdown and two whilst on the runway.

Here's another poser - what is at 51deg 39min 25sec North and 5deg 42min 13 sec East?

And why don't you see the Stratosphere Tower, Las Vegas. Yet you do see the shadow?

That's not how it is shown on the current Google Earth. The current imagery is too detailed to be shown :eek:

That image wasn't from GE (the checkerboard camo stuff :D) - but from the MS Live Local stuff, which is usually even older than the GE imagery (but sometimes more detailed in places).

edit :
Clicky. You can flick between Google images & Live local images in the top left.

It's generally not as good (high res // sharp // up-to-date) as the google stuff, but as I say, there are the odd locations where there's only v. low res google images, but "high" res livel local ones. Live local has better labels too, IMO (makes it handier for planning routes - I prefer to use it to stuff like multimap or google maps).

Back