Picture Problems - any ideas why?

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Had an impulse buy of a Canon G9 10 days ago before a holiday over the last week...the last one in the shop as it has now been replaced by the G10.

Just home and uploaded 145 pictures and 23 of them show this fault mostly with a vertical line but some with horizontal one and a few with an edge fault........to me it looks like a shutter fault.

Before I take it back tomorrow anyone seen this fault before?

IMG_00161.jpg

IMG_01292.jpg

Thanks

Problem with the CF/SD card? (Sorry, I don't know which one that camera uses!)

well again it was abrand new scandisk ultra 11 SD card...never had a problem with one of those before either but there are 120 shots with no problem so :shrug:

and random places on the card...
But that doesn't prove anything, other than that the entire card isn't faulty.

I think it can't be a shutter fault. The giveaway to me is the artefact whch you describe as an "edge fault". If you look closely, the pixels in one half of the faulty images are actually offset relative to those in the other half. You can see it most clearly in the trailing edge of the airecraft's tailplane, and in the kerb in the foreground of the sunset picture. That says that some of the image data isn't being stored correctly. Either the camera's processor is mangling the image as it writes it to the card, or the card has some faults. My money is on the latter, because if the camera was doing it you'd expect it to happen every time.

You need to try different combinations to establish what is at fault.Try the card in another camera, try a different card in the G9, try a different card reader, try different software etc. Could be any one of these at fault.

My guess would be SD Card. The cards work with a filesystem which can be partially corrupted. Try and format the card after copying all images over instead of delete all images on the card (this is a huge difference in terms of data being erased).

I'm not sure if you can DiskRepair, ScanTool (Windows or Mac) to check for bad sectors on the card but it's worth a try as all cards will work as mass storage space and show up as a disk/device in the operating system.

If you can, try using the card in another camera?

It doesn't look like the shutter to me and may well be the card but I'll throw another possibility in.

There is a very definate step in the exposure change so maybe the aperture is sticking and stopping down too late. It could be worthwhile trying to shoot wide open and see if the same thing occurs.

Bob

I have experienced a similar problem and the fault was the card reader on my laptop. If I downloaded the pics through an external cardreader they were fine, and similarly if I downloaded them straight from the camera.

ok havent got to the shop yet to take it back.....next problem I did use for the first time the built in card reader on the laptop rather than a usb cable from the camera and did (grits teeth) cut them across so the originals are not on the card anymore....i havent reused the card so are they recoverable (crosses fingers)..

Any suggestions for recovery please?

It doesn't look like the shutter to me and may well be the card but I'll throw another possibility in.

There is a very definate step in the exposure change so maybe the aperture is sticking and stopping down too late. It could be worthwhile trying to shoot wide open and see if the same thing occurs.
Bob, what are the odds of the aperture problem affecting the image at exactly the same point as where the pixels are being displaced?

Thanks Garry

Will d/l and give that a go when I get home...its doesnt mention a cost so assume it is free.

Very Good Andrew...is that plus an extra £200

StewartR..hadnt noticed the plane edge shift before only the edge shift that logically shifts the whole right half upwards :bonk: It was the shift and the apparent exposure change that confused me, the latter like doing test strips in the old film days to establish the right exposure.

Kevin

Bob, what are the odds of the aperture problem affecting the image at exactly the same point as where the pixels are being displaced?

With a focal plane shutter then it would be extremely remote but the G9 doesn't have a FP shutter (AFAIK) so it would depend on how the aperture and sensor read/scan controls are configured by the chip. The apparent dislocated wing tip hints that there may be a momentary freeze in the recording process. I would assume that the data is read to a buffer prior to being written to the card.

Bob

Thanks to all those who supplied ideas.....found I had a copy of Rescue Pro in the packet with a new card I had got for me D300 so loaded it and scanned the SD card in a separate card reader (not the built in one!) and managed to recover most of the pics uncorrupted, although 5/6 of the ones that had originally uploaded ok didnt on recovery :thinking: ....but between the two uploads i have a complete set !

Lesson 1 dont use the card reader on the laptop use the cable from the camera direct as I have always previously done without a problem.

Lesson 2 dont delete from the card until checking ALL the pics on the computer

Now format the card and use as an emergency spare..

Kevin

Back