Cobra

In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
I'm sat in my upstairs man cave, a feral pigeon hits the rather large window,
I didn't have the time to completely think that was a bloody stupid thing to do, when it all became clear.
A female Sparrowhawk, had applied the air-brakes, landing gear forward, spread eagled mm from the window.
She then turned on the afterburners and went vertical....

I've no idea if she got to eat that time or not, as they both went over the roof.

The things you see, when you don't have a camera to hand eh? ...

Edited to add, it took longer to type that than it took the whole scenaio to play out.

Last edited:
Some years back around harvest time I noticed the dusty imprint of a bird on a window. There was also a diagonal streak running away from where the head struck, and a pile of grain on the window sill. The pigeon had smacked into the window and vommed up a gut full of grain at the moment of impact.

Must have been great to see, Cobra. Even if you had a camera nearby I'd guess it was all over before you could have got it. The maneuverability of sparrowhawks is just amazing.

Dave

Can you imaging the "mess"
had it been caught inside? I know what a plumed pigeon looks like.
Yeah, but if you were quick, that might have been dinner sorted :D

I'd guess it was all over before you could have got it. The maneuverability of sparrowhawks is just amazing.
Having trained and flown (hunted with) a couple over the years, I can vouch for their speed and maneuverability (Y)

Can you imaging the "mess"
had it been caught inside? I know what a plumed pigeon looks like.
A couple of decades ago, I was driving to work, when a rook sized bird hit a car coming the other way, it then bounced onto the windscreen of the car in front of me, it slide up and then went into the open sunroof, I did not see the aftermath, but the car pulled into a farm gate very quickly.

You can make out the eye and beak in this pigeon print from our kitchen window - the bird flew off!

Pigeon Print by John Liddle, on Flickr

A couple of decades ago, I was driving to work, when a rook sized bird hit a car coming the other way, it then bounced onto the windscreen of the car in front of me, it slide up and then went into the open sunroof, I did not see the aftermath, but the car pulled into a farm gate very quickly.

A few years back, a mate of mine hit a cock pheasant oh his bike (the mate, not the pheasant...) at around 60 MPH. The bird pretty much exploded, covering him and much of the right side of the bike with the insides (and contents thereof!) Good job he was wearing boots too - they stopped one of the bird's spurs doing his shin a nasty.

Back